What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using data traffic via mobil using bluetooth instead of buying model with 3G ?

Christian_IA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.
My wife wants to buy an iPad 3 and I have a question regarding the need for 3G.
Is it possible to use data traffic via mobil using bluetooth instead of buying model with 3G ?
So that the money for the 3G modem in the iPad can be used for data rates on the mobile instead if it is possible to have the iPad use the mobile for data traffic via the bluetooth connection.
The phone right now are a Sony Ericsson Experia Pro and the carrier are danish Telmore (using TDC network).
regards
Christian

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Christian_IA said:
Hi all.
My wife wants to buy an iPad 3 and I have a question regarding the need for 3G.
Is it possible to use data traffic via mobil using bluetooth instead of buying model with 3G ?
So that the money for the 3G modem in the iPad can be used for data rates on the mobile instead if it is possible to have the iPad use the mobile for data traffic via the bluetooth connection.
The phone right now are a Sony Ericsson Experia Pro and the carrier are danish Telmore (using TDC network).
regards
Christian

I'm pretty sure data must be over wifi. The experia is an android phone and assuming it's running on 2.1 or above, it will support wifi hotspots. This is where you can set up to 5 devices to connect at any given time.

You should contact your carrier to determine whether wifi tethering is included in your data allowance, here in the UK it's generally not an issue unless you're on an iPhone contract.

JasonKrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my android phone to throw off a wifi hot spot that the iPad can use.

I don't know what the mobile phone data charges are like in Denmark...but here in the united states, they have put caps on data for new accounts and a carrier here throttles down speed significantly if you approach what they consider their data limit even if you were grandfathered in.

So, check with your carrier regarding your data usage and data caps. Otherwise you may be paying for 3G regardless or more, if you go over your allotted data amount.

As for using data over Bluetooth, I have done this with a blackberry but not an android. With the Bluetooth connection, it was A painfully slow way of Internet connection.

I would look into perhaps asking your carrier about how much a hot spot wifi is to use on a sporadic basis...as with my experience, most of the time, my iPad is within a free wifi hotspot. It is rare for me to truly need to throw a hot spot from my phone to use my iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts