1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Using Excel offline

Discussion in 'iPad at Work' started by Richard Burnock, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Richard Burnock

Richard Burnock iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is there a way to view/edit Excel files offline? I use CloudOn and Dropbox when online, which is fine, but I sometimes need to access files when I have no Internet connection. Thanks...........
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,663 / 0
    When using Dropbox (the app), if you make the Excel file a favorite (via a tab in the Dropbox app), it will be actually stored on the iPad for offline viewing. Of course, if you make changes to it, it won't get updated - but at least you'll be able to view the file.

I think Dropbox updates it when you go back online (but, I'm not sure ... never used the Favorites function).

Hope that helps?

Marilyn
  3. coolstuffs

coolstuffs iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I don't have a spreadsheet app that runs offline so I use a pdf app to open a pdf file in dropbox instead. But the procedure should be the same.
    Access your dropbox account using Safari. Open the file. Tap the menu as shown in the picture below and select your Excel editor app(you must have this and must be able to run offline - Example "Numbers"). Logout of dropbox and close Safari. Switch off your internet connection to test. Run your Excel editor app and select the file that you have downloaded.
    Excel_dropbox.jpg