What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File Location using Dropbox

wdrs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a great fan of Dropbox which helps to keep all my important files available on all the computers I use, but have run into a problem with the iPad app version.
I am not always connected to the internet. (I only have the wifi connection - do not approve of mobile telephone charges).
On my windows laptop the dropbox files are located on my hard disk so I can access them and work on them when offline.
However I cannot locate the files on my iPad unless I am online.
How do I force the files to be downloaded and stored on my iPad so that they are available when offline? After all I have a huge memory of almost 60 gb.
If they are already stored on my iPad, where are they stored and how can I access them when offline?
Will they be updated when I go online, just the same as my laptop?
If anyone can assist I would appreciate it.
David

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What kind of files are you working with?

I am not familiar with Dropbox, but I use box.net which apparently does pretty much the same thing. It provides one central location for your "stuff", but it is dependent on the Internet. This is a whole (relatively) new paradigm shift in the way data is stored and shared called "The Cloud" where data is stored off-site.

If you are at home and have a wireless router, there is a free program called RemotePC Lite. With it, you can access all the files on any computer that are on your home network. It can be a bit of a bear to set up since it needs to get past your firewalls and security software, but it can be done.

Some types of files, like .pdf documents can be loaded on your iPad using iBooks (as well as other reading programs)

Let us know what kind of stuff you are wanting to transfer and hopefully someone here will come up with a solution.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can still access your file on your iPad via the dropbox even if your offline. Opening the file on your iPad dropbox hit that star icon on the upper right. It will be added to your "favorite files". I had the same question a month ago. I saw it in their FAQ section. Hope it helps.

Indika

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick office let's you save the files on the iPad as well

Quick office has drop box built into it and creates an iPad folder to take them off the net and into the hard drive it also takes care of your excel and word apps

jackiemac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.WoowooMac.com
You can still access your file on your iPad via the dropbox even if your offline. Opening the file on your iPad dropbox hit that star icon on the upper right. It will be added to your "favorite files". I had the same question a month ago. I saw it in their FAQ section. Hope it helps.

Thanks! I wondered about this too. :)

lumberjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're jailbroken use iFile. Then you can not only browse and explore your iPad file system but cut and paste to different areas. Handy if you have something in Dropbox that won't open in it or open in a Dropbox compatible program (like DocstoGo).

OP
W

wdrs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - very helpful, particularly the hint about "favorite files" (although, as I am English, I prefer the word "favourite"). Again many thanks.
David

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Also the apps that work with Dropbox download them to the iPad. For example I use Goodreader for PDF's. When I go to the Dropbox account in Goodreader and touch the PDF I want, it downloads it. Then when I am offline it is still available. The key is you have to be connected to your Dropbox account the first time you read a file. After that first time, it will be on you iPad.

And I am a huge fan of Dropbox as well. I am thinking of upgrading to a paid account....

Most reactions

Latest posts