What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use your iphone simcard and get free 3g data on ipad 3g.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Just so you all know, you can simply put your iphone simcard into your iPad and use the unlimited 3g your already paying for on the iPad.

There is one catch, you must trim off the plastic on your sim card so that it fits in the ipads MicroSim card slot. But there is good news. They sell Mirosim to full size simcard adapters.

So basicly once you trim the simcard it will work in your iPad and then you can put it back in your iPhone along with the microsim-to-fullsize simcard adapter. I would wait until you get the adapter before trimming the simcard or you will be stuck with a microSD size sim and wont be able to use it in the phone agian until you get the adapter.

You an probably find the adapters at local phone shops or online at website like MicroSim Adapter 3FF mini-UICC Shop

once you trim the simcard and put it into your iPad it will show the ATT logo at the top of the screen with full bars and the 3G symble.

However when you try to access the internet you will still get the popup saying that you currently dont have a iPad data plan and to sign up for one.

Click Cancle and go into your settings app.

Click on Cellular Network Settings.

Click on APN settings and it will currently say "broadband" in the APN setting with blank username and password.

Change the APN to "wap.cingular"
Username:[email protected]
Password:CINGULAR1

Now go back to the settings and turn airplane mode ON.
Wait a few seconds and turn airplane mode OFF.

Your iPad is now setup to get 3G service when ever you put your iPhone simcard in it.

I decided to be the Guinea pig and give it a try and let everyone know if it works since I'm about to cancle my ATT iphone service anyways. It works so those of you with iphone plans already this can be another cost cutting option for getting 3G service when in a jam, just put the iphone sim in the iPad.

I'll post a picture of the iPad simcard and my trimmed down iPhone simcard later.

Last edited:

mgamber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then it's not free, it's just not more on top of your iPhone bill. By now everyone knows that AT&T's definition of "unlimited" is 5GB and while you don't get booted or turned off when you cross the line, AT&T may well start watching your usage and eventually kick you off. What you can do, however, is jailbreak the phone and put myWi on it, turning it into a wifi connection point to which the iPad can connect. So you have 5GB from the iPad account itself and another 5GB from the iPhone account effectively giving the iPad 10GB of data a month. That's a lot for some people but for others, such as myself, it's not that much at all. The iPad's MLB at Bat live game video sucks down a TON of data and if Slingplayer is eventually released for the iPad, it will most likely do the same. There's two examples of why 10GB is better than cutting up a sim card and sharing that measly 5GB between two devices.

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yes I know about that and have done it but..

#1 requires jailbreak your phone and void warranty.
#2 MyWi Cost $10
#3 ATT can kick you just for using MyWi if they wanted
#4 your wrong about the 10gigs. Doesnt matter what device you use the 5Gig mark is per phone plan so you would be talking 5Gigs combined between both the iphone and iPad.

The method i posted is not for everyone just like jailbreaking is not for everyone, its simply just another option thats available.

Last edited:

Deenybird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By now everyone knows that AT&T's definition of "unlimited" is 5GB and while you don't get booted or turned off when you cross the line,
This is all still rumor. The battle of whether 'unlimited' really means unlimited has yet to be battled in the courts. Reports of users being charged extra are rare and unproven. Besides that, ATT's hopes that we'll pay twice for the same internet will fail miserably.

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
SimCards.JPG
SimCards2.JPG

#1 ATT 3G SimCard Full Size
#2 ATT iPad Micro SimCard
#3 ATT 3G iPhone SimCard (originally Full size simcard, plastic trimmed so it would fit in Micro SD slots)
#4 T-Mobile Prepaid Simcard(originally full size, trimmed down to fit in iPad.)
#5 iPhone 3GS simcard tray
#6 iPad Micro Simcard Tray

If you are going to try to trim your simcard take your micro sim and trace an outline on the full size simcard as a guide. I just used a dremil and cut them down in under a minute. Make sure not to cut any of the metal parts or the simcard will stop working.

Last edited:

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T has said many times, regarding iPad data plan, that it is truly unlimited. That no matter how much data you use, you will NOT hear anything from them. Yes, they usually do have their 5 gig softcap, but not with iPad. I know there are many doubters, and it will take at least until the 30th to finish up the first month and see if anyone hears anything otherwise.

Fisherman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just so you all know, you can simply put your iphone simcard into your iPad and use the unlimited 3g your already paying for on the iPad.

There is one catch, you must trim off the plastic on your sim card so that it fits in the ipads MicroSim card slot. But there is good news. They sell Mirosim to full size simcard adapters.

So basicly once you trim the simcard it will work in your iPad and then you can put it back in your iPhone along with the microsim-to-fullsize simcard adapter. I would wait until you get the adapter before trimming the simcard or you will be stuck with a microSD size sim and wont be able to use it in the phone agian until you get the adapter.

You an probably find the adapters at local phone shops or online at website like MicroSim Adapter 3FF mini-UICC Shop

once you trim the simcard and put it into your iPad it will show the ATT logo at the top of the screen with full bars and the 3G symble.

However when you try to access the internet you will still get the popup saying that you currently dont have a iPad data plan and to sign up for one.

Click on APN settings and it will currently say "broadband" in the APN setting with blank username and password.

Your iPad is now setup to get 3G service when ever you put your iPhone simcard in it.

I decided to be the Guinea pig and give it a try and let everyone know if it works since I'm about to cancle my ATT iphone service anyways. It works so those of you with iphone plans already this can be another cost cutting option for getting 3G service when in a jam, just put the iphone sim in the iPad.

I'll post a picture of the iPad simcard and my trimmed down iPhone simcard later.

Quick question - would there be a problem if a person were to get another or second iPhone simcard and trim it down and insert it into the iPad on a more permanent basis? Would both devices still work correctly and both be able to access the 3G network?

I ask because I fish a lot and never take my iPhone with me just in case I accidently decide to take a swim I just take the iPhone simcard and put it into an older Motorola flip phone and everything works fine except for the internet but that does not matter.

Anyway one time I was in the AT&T store talking to the rep and asked him what would happen if I were to accidently get wet and destroy the simcard and he told me that I should get an extra iPhone simcard for free install it once in the iPhone and set it up so it syncs with iTunes and gets all my contacts etc. transfered and then just leave it in the Motorola. He said once in awhile I could put it back into the iPhone to update it but otherwise it would work as needed on the river with little risk except to possibly loose a cheap phone I don't care about. Another way they said I could do the same thing would be to buy a prepaid phone and sync it's simcard with iTunes using my iPhone and then use that phone when fishing but it will no longer be a prepaid phone because it will have all my account info on the simcard like normal.

Except for the fishing and water parts why couldn't this process of multiple simcards also work with the iPad?

Thanks for the great info on how to get a normal iPad 3G to access the network much cheaper.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first issue is how honest are you? Many would consider this just like making false claims on income tax forms. I realize honesty is a moving target, but when you go to all the hassle of modifying the sim cards to do multiple devices, you can get into some real trouble. If for any reason you get caught, say you have more than one sim on the same phone number, you can face tremendous fines and prosecution for fraud.

Second, it is amazing how rumors flourish. It has never been said to my knowledge, by any authority, that there is a cap of 5 GB on iPad data. The only mention was originally a question about whether the iPhone cap was the rule on the iPad, but it is not in the service agreement. There is a provision for abuse of usage. That is for everyone's protection.

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Fisherman - to answer your question no you cannot do that.

Many many years ago it was possable to have two simcards with the same phone number, called cloning. This not only cant be done any more but is also illegal so I wouldnt even try anything like that.

there however is no laws agianced trimming the plastic off of your simcard, Heck you could break the thing in half if you wanted, the company would just have to sell you a new one.

About the part where the sales rep said that he would just give you an extra simcard if the other one got wet and ruined. The first thing about the sim card is that getting it wet would most likely not ruin the simcard. But if it did, they would not give you an extra one, they can just deactivate the old simcard and give you a new one with all your info on it. (you can only have one simcard per phone number).

merriman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tethering is the best IMHO! Though if I'm on a road trip this is a great option.

Fisherman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fisherman - to answer your question no you cannot do that.

Many many years ago it was possable to have two simcards with the same phone number, called cloning. This not only cant be done any more but is also illegal so I wouldnt even try anything like that.

there however is no laws agianced trimming the plastic off of your simcard, Heck you could break the thing in half if you wanted, the company would just have to sell you a new one.

About the part where the sales rep said that he would just give you an extra simcard if the other one got wet and ruined. The first thing about the sim card is that getting it wet would most likely not ruin the simcard. But if it did, they would not give you an extra one, they can just deactivate the old simcard and give you a new one with all your info on it. (you can only have one simcard per phone number).

Yea I thought that sounded a bit fishy if you don't mind the pun. I think I'll just enable the 3G when I need it. Right now I don't want to disable my phone while I'm using the simcard elsewhere. Thanks for the reply and the idea. I like the concept - maybe someday.

:)

Paffy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
microsim adapter

Hey guys i just saw a video about this cool adapter rom microsim2sim.com . Here is the link [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwaJnB8fMYA]YouTube - micro-SIM adapter in action 2 (inserting into the phone)[/ame] check it out!

jcarp613

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to use my Iphone 4 Sim in my 3G Ipad.

I tried the following.

Did not work.

Tried typing in phone for the APN and that didn't work. Any ideas?

Most reactions

Latest posts