What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G in India with MicroSim!!

eileenscholes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just returned from a fabulous trip to northern India. The only blip was not being able to use 3G consistently on my iPad 2. I wondered if anyone had any explanations/suggestions for next time? I bought a local micro SIM from Airtel in Amritsar with the help of a local guide. First issue was that SIMS have to be registered in a local resident's name, which was a challenge since between us my travelling companion and I also needed SIMs for our phones (surely there's a way round that one for visitors on short term visas like us?). We then had to find someone with an Indian iPhone in order to insert the SIM and make the registration call (Is there no way to make the call from another phone?). It worked just fine for the first two days/nights in Amritsar, but then stopped working on the train to Delhi. I assumed I'd run out of the initial 350 rupee time purchase (which I'd been told would be 'loads'). However, when I tried to top up at an ordinary store in Delhi, they could not do it and told me it may be that the SIM would only function in Amritsar - so there was probably time left on it. I offered to buy a new SIM but again ran into the problem of needing a local to buy it and having to wait for activation. Moreover, no one could assure me that they same thing wouldn't happen again once I left the Delhi area. I tried again in Varanasi, this time with the main Airtel office. They contacted their Amritsar colleagues who said they would top it up (and we had repeat of the previous challenge of having to take the SIM out and use it in another phone to have the conversation) but still no go. In Jaipur, an Apple store established that the SIM was working fine and another Airtel shop said it was because Amritsar currently only has 2G. After an hour's confusion with everyone in the store getting involved, the local whiz kid returned from lunch and did some mysterious things which - for a further 50 rupees - got it working. However, when I tried it again back at the hotel, it wasn't. After that, I gave up trying and spent the next 10 days without Internet, all the way down to Mumbai, which was a shame, especially on long train and car journeys between places. Could anything more/different have been done? Very grateful for a reply because I would love to go back to India soon, this time with a fully functioning iPad!
Eileen

Last edited:

pranavbansal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi..all 3g sim works on AT&T Ipad 3 Cellular Ipads..I am using MTNL for almost a month now.. Features like Personal Hotspot (wifi teethering ) will not work with MTNL Sim, some features like Facetime etc might not get connected easily. Speed usually remains below 1 MBPS in Delhi Region and is acceptable. in using you tube it takes buffering initially and then runs fine. Best supported network is Airtel and fastest network in Delhi is Reliance 3G. I have multiple Ipads as I run my business applications on it so I have tried most of the networks. Regarding E,W,H,3G connectivity in Ipad..this is automatically selected by Ipad depending upon the best connectivity.

Most reactions

Latest posts