What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

usb 2.0 cam

jwed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a little fiber optic camera (endoscope; plumbers cam; whatever) and usb/lightning adapter. When I plug it in I get the message "usb 2.0 pc cam not supported". I've seen people using this cam on iPhones and MacBooks and was wondering if there is any way to get it to work on my iPad?

Thx

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I bought a little fiber optic camera (endoscope; plumbers cam; whatever) and usb/lightning adapter. When I plug it in I get the message "usb 2.0 pc cam not supported". I've seen people using this cam on iPhones and MacBooks and was wondering if there is any way to get it to work on my iPad?

Hi Jwed - please provide some more information: 1) What is the brand/model of the fiberoptic camera (FOC); 2) Is the USB connection cabled to the iPad via the lightning adapter; 3) Is there a proprietary app on the iPad that is suppose to interact w/ the FOC; and 4) by stating that you've seen people using this cam on iPhones, is this the exact same brand/model?

USB inputs to iPads typically do not work, e.g. USB flash drives - one exception is the USB camera adapters but that is a specific application designed into iOS by Apple. Does the manual to your camera state that a cabled USB to Lightning adapter will work w/ an iPad? If so, I would be dubious but w/ more information, posters can at least explore the features of your device.

Finally, often the best way to transfer 'data' to an iPad is wirelessly via a device that works over Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth - I use several that establish there own Wi-Fi personal networks and a proprietary app on my iPad - as an example relative to a FOC, the camera shown below (LINK) operates in exactly that way.

Bottom line is that I'm sure you can get a FOC to work on your iPad, but possibly not the one your purchased - will await your responses. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 6.45.01 PM.png

OP
J

jwed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave

It's just a cheap endoscope from Amazon that doesn't have a brand name or model. It comes with a 15m cable and a minidisk with a bunch of drivers on it (I assume) but the iPad doesn't have a disk drive so I won't know exactly whats on it until I get home and check it out on the iMac. If you look on youtube you'll see a video of the exact same camera attached to a bunch of drain rods that a guy is using on his MacBook. I think its entitled "make yourself a cheap drain camera" (9:41 duration).

Yes its a lightning adapter.
The guy says he's using a free app but I can't make out the name: It sounds like he's saying "quik-ear" or "quickier" or something like that.
As for me I have a 12gig iPad ver 8.2 (12D508)

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave

It's just a cheap endoscope from Amazon that doesn't have a brand name or model. It comes with a 15m cable and a minidisk with a bunch of drivers on it (I assume) but the iPad doesn't have a disk drive so I won't know exactly whats on it until I get home and check it out on the iMac. If you look on youtube you'll see a video of the exact same camera attached to a bunch of drain rods that a guy is using on his MacBook. I think its entitled "make yourself a cheap drain camera" (9:41 duration).

Yes its a lightning adapter.
The guy says he's using a free app but I can't make out the name: It sounds like he's saying "quik-ear" or "quickier" or something like that.
As for me I have a 12gig iPad ver 8.2 (12D508)

Hello again - first, is the video below the one your are talking about? If so, the presenter is using a USB port on a laptop, which w/ the right drivers and app will likely work as is evident in the video. But, there is no way to load 'drivers' onto an iPad - please post a link to the Amazon product and some pics, if you can.

If you need a FOC to work on your iPad, check my previous post about the one shown or do some googling of fiberoptic cams for 'wireless' iPad use - believe that's your only choice - but I've never tried such a device on my iPads, so maybe one of our members will 'chime in' w/ more experience - sorry that I cannot help much more. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As the guy says, you'll need an app from the app store. Try searching for the manufacturere or model number of the camera, or just usb camera. I got a few hits for endoscope, but only for wi-fi models. Be sure to change the search results to iPhone Only at the top left (after you start the search). There may not be a specific iPad app, but most iPhone apps will work on an iPad, if a bit ugly.

Also, check the dates on the advice/sites you are using. Solutions for older iPads with 30-pin connectors may not work for newer lighting models.

Good luck.

OP
J

jwed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can either of you figure out what the name of the app is that he mentions in the video?

Sounds like "quik-ear" to me.

Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can either of you figure out what the name of the app is that he mentions in the video? Sounds like "quik-ear" to me.

Hello again - first, is the video I posted the correct one? Second, if so then a comment from the YouTube presentation asked the name of the app, which is called Quickier (screen capture below from the Apple App site) - now this is a Mac app using OS X and will not work on the iPad (which runs iOS) - is there a comparable iOS app - don't know? But if so, you still have to deal w/ the cable USB interface which will not work on the iDevice - also, you still have not provided us w/ a picture and/or link to Amazon in reference to what you actually bought - WE are trying to help but it is difficult w/ so little input from you, just saying. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 10.46.00 PM.png

Most reactions