ups and downs....

Discussion in 'iPad Pro Forum' started by sjleworthy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Hi chaps

Been reading some of the comments on the MacRumours forums and a couple of other forums about the iPadPro and so many are really really negative. More than not actually. Even from 'fan-boys'.

It's a shame to see so many closed minds. I'm not an Apple fan per-se in the slightest. I'm a staunt PC and Windows person, but heck, Apple's mobile devices really are the business. By far. Almost on another planet :)

Some of their comments about lack of force touch, general 'stay away from 1st gen devices', Pencil comments and general rubbish as quite disparaging to read. Quite arrogant and ignorant.

The iPad Pro (even the 1st gen device) is building from a host of previous ipad models, all successful proven devices. Yes, the Pro 2, 3 and 4 etc etc will of course be better, thats a given fact, technology moves on, but we're at a stage Apple's tech is always a polished item. The Pencil (which strictly isnt a stylus) has no mobile device competitors on the same level. The Pro's spec puts it in laptop and desktop territory. The screen is just way ahead. Are you wasting your investment buying a 1st? certainly not, even though we know next year and the year after it'll be twice as good.

Okay, it doesn't have a 3d display, yet, but so what? it'll surely be an awesome device whatever. Personally, it doesn't bother me. The fact this device will be leading the way again with no alternative on the market (yet) speaks volumes. As mentioned, everything starts somewhere and will always evolve. I still LOVE my iPad2!

Perhaps people just like to sound superior and complain all the time. Such a shame. The achievement is massive. If it doesnt suit you then fine. so what.

Sorry peeps, just sounding off at so much negativity and perceived 'know-it-all-ness' in the community, when there's so much more positiveness to shout about. what do they want, magic? well i think thats kinda what we're getting :)

#1 sjleworthy, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I'm very stoked for the iPad Pro but there are a few things I do agree with, one of them being the "Never buy 1st Gen" . Apple's products always seem to be conservative in their 1st iteration. Look at the iPad 1, iPad mini 1st Gen, even the Air and compare them to the next version.
    I'm also baffled that they didn't release 3D touch on the iPads the same time as the iPhones. It's fairly safe to assume that the 2016 iPad lineup is going to have that feature, so they've just shot their iPad sales in the foot as many users will wait until that feature arrives next year.
    And not to be a negative Nelly but how in the hell did that charge design the the Apple Pencil get off the drawing board? That lighning plug on the back is just begging to be snapped off into the lighning port of your iPad. It's a design disaster! Sure it'll generate work for folks like me who repair iPads but as soon as I saw this "feature" I cringed.

3. sjleworthy

sjleworthy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    hi Brian, yup, that pencil charger is crying out to be snapped! luckily a small charge is just whats needed. i'm more confused where to keep the thing when not in use.

as for not to go for a 1st gen? i'd generally agree, but personally i think tech (especially in Apple's case) is so far advanced and tried/tested these days that the gap between 1st and 2nd gen is generally closing. the usual performance spec jump will always be inevitable, but it's a top notch product anyway. i don't think the comparison between say ipad 1 and 2 is relevant.

but, thats just my opinion. they always keep stuff in reserve of course. how subjective can we be about it?

4. quadtronix

quadtronix
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm just glad all that negativity hasn't found it's way to these forums! Hopefully it won't. Don't know why the iPad Pro Forum on this site hasn't picked up more than it has though... The Thread list is like a ghost town for such a huge new product... But for me, I am very excited about the Pro. I definitely want one and plan on getting one as early as possible. For me its the size mostly. The A9X sounds ridiculous (in a good way), and the resolution sounds really impressive too. I probably won't get the pencil for lack of need and also the price, but the keyboard-case is on my wishlist. Can't wait for November!

5. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm with you on the iPad Pro excitement.

The only reason I'm not posting more in this sub-forum is because I don't have one yet! :) But, when I do get it, I expect to be singing praises and talking about how much I like it. Until then, all I can do is wait. Which is killing me! :D

I'm heading more for the Pencil as an initial purchase. IF I get the keyboard, it'll be much later. I primarily prop my iPad in my lap and have gotten real proficient with the iPad keyboard. So, for me, the keyboard = "meh." Can't wait to play with the Pencil, tho!

Come on November!! :D

Marilyn

6. sjleworthy

sjleworthy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    no no, i cant wait more than any of you!

this is like waiting for the ipad2 all over again. the stress and excitement takes 30 years off you (my wife thinks I'm stupid) :)

7. Friendly

Friendly
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    it's a curious device, but I disagree with your thoughts that it's put into laptop territory.

iOS is a lite OS. it doesn't run any full featured productivity software, only the lite versions. it's got decent RAM, which is new to the tablet territory, but the CPU is just a more refined ARM processor that's in all the previous mobile devices Apple's made with iOS.

I really dislike people comparing the iPad Pro and the new Pixel C to the Surface 3 Pro. different beasts entirely with different purposes and focuses. the only thing they have in common is form factor. some have a more productivity focus than others, which is definitely what the iPad Pro has going for it, but the app's it will run will never compare to the Windows or OSX versions. they aren't as capable because the compute power is lacking. they are a compliment of a computer. :)

but all that aside, I look forward to learning more and seeing what industries/niche's adopt it. I can definitely see the artistic crowd going for it, since it's like a mobile wacom tablet. I can also see people liking it for note taking. in this case though, it's going to be a love it or hate it device because of it's size. it's entering full computing size/weight territory while lacking the OS to provide full computing capacity. but I digress, I am repeating myself.

the thing I am against the most though is the price. $1500 is ridiculous.

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to disagree with your statement.
    The iPad Pro with its A9X processor is faster than 80% of the laptops currently on the market. iOS, on the latest iPads, is much more than a lite OS. It is fully capable of professional quality results and the iPad Pro is closer to fully replacing a PC or laptop than any preceding iPad.

9. quadtronix

quadtronix
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'd have to agree with scifan57 on this one... I kind of wish the iPad pro ran osx but just cause it runs IOS doesn't necessarily make it incapable of most productivity tasks.

Sent via Tapatalk on my ASUS ZenPad S 8.0...

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    iOS was developed, using OSX as a basis. Today, iOS and OSX are becoming closer and closer, sharing more features as time goes on. At this rate, it shouldn't be long before we see a tablet capable of running OSX.