How does iPad stack up to competition?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Juraviel, Mar 11, 2010.

1. leebase

leebase
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The iPhone didn't have copy/paste. Criticizing it's lack of copy/paste was therefore valid.

The iPad doesn't support flash yet claims to be the "best internet experience". Given that flash is a very important web techology, it's valid to criticize Apple's choice to exclude flash.

That's what I mean by saying that most of the criticisms have been "valid". As in "they have a point".

There are blind haters and there are blind fanboys. I see no particular difference between the two. Any Apple fan who can't understand that everything is not "the best" in Apple products.....well....

Lee

2. Juraviel

Juraviel
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    i see no more people reply to my topic so let me bump it up a little bit hehe.

a question: will it be possible to play online games with other people, or through bluetooth?

PS
    i do expect a 'no' as an answer so dont be afraid to reply (i asked before whether it's possible to 'sort of' multitasking on the safari browser by opening for example music on 1st tab and something else on the 2nd, no one answered)

3. TheBaron

TheBaron
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    This argument about Apple not implementing Flash and some predicting this to be the death of Apple just reminded me of a similar event.
    I remember back in 1998 when I got my first iMac. Quite a few naysayers told me how stupid it was to purchase a machine that had no 3.5" floppy drive. Apple stated that the 3.5" floppy was already obsolete and were no longer necessary, but coworkers and friends still looked at me like I was an idiot. I actually started to believe that maybe I made a mistake! Many were predicting this to be Apple's big foolish decision that would spell their doom (sound familiar?)
    So what happened? Zip drives, CD burners, and USB flash drives came out, they surpassed the storage limits of floppy, and became cheaper and cheaper. Apple was right. The 3.5" floppy really was dead. I was at first worried that I'd miss the floppy drive, but as it turned out - I didn't need a floppy. Not even once.
    So I'm wondering if history will repeat itself with Flash. Of course, all of us early adopters have to wait until HTML5 really takes off, but I suspect most folks will realize that they don't even really need Flash despite what everyone is telling them.

4. Finnedog

Finnedog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    To The Baron

Had to laugh, recently learned by myself why floppys are dead when I tried to transfer a tif file from an old machine that had a floppy drive and it just would not take it, finally figured out that the file was larger than the floppy. 1 file.

I remember someone who paid $9,000 or $10,000 for a 5 megabyte hard drive in early 1980s. Things have changed

5. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Actually you will be able to plug in a usb device and sd card and if your battery fails to retain memory they will swap it out for $100....not too bad in my opinion.

6. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Actually it's funny you say this....on announcement day I saw it and was like....what? It's a big iPod Touch. Then over the weeks since it was announced I have thought about it and thought about it, and I came to one conclusion.....I love my iPod Touch....it is a GREAT device...and much the same as Android will work very well on a large scale as a netbook so should iPhone OS....of course it is an extended and modified build but overall it is the same idea. I ordered mine this weekend.

7. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    it is possible on iPhone so yes.

8. KiltedTim

KiltedTim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Sheepishly raising hand.... Um... Yeah, not quite that much $$, but I was one of those who paid huge $$ for a 5 MB drive.

9. leebase

leebase
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    There is no USB port. There is an optional adapter that will allow folks to connect to a memory card. No indication whether we'll have a general usb adapter for things, say, like a web cam :)

Lee

10. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    There is a USB adapter available. It comes in the "Camera Connection Kit"