What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rim r.i.p.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was sorry to see that the reviews of the RIM PlayBook were so negative. While not a crackberry fan, there needs to be competition for the iPad for more progress to be made. In fact, it looks like RIM is giving in to the critics and offering a native e-mail app. A lot of the problem is that the PlayBook is still unfinished and a little buggy still. They were relying a lot on their bridge program to use with their phones, but it was not even ready for the grand presentation. Not good.

An interesting comment by a pro-RIM analyst was that there may not be a 'tablet' market, but what the public really wants is an 'iPad' market. It also went on to mention that the experts are saying Apple is two generations ahead of everyone else. It was also said that MS and RIM have a tight deadline to get their products right, or fold their tents and quit.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have been happy to buy any tablet but the Ipad. However after reviewing the options the Ipad 2 has more storage, a faster CPU, is lighter, thinner and CHEAPER then the Android tablets out there.

Then add in the fact that the type of apps that I will be using (pilot/flight planning/weather) are only on the Ipad. It was easy for me to pick the Ipad over anything else on the market.

Just 18 months ago to get a touchscreen tablet with wifi, and day light viewable screen with flight software would have been $2500.00 or more.

My Ipad2 with software was less then $1200.00

It all comes down to your needs and how you plan to use it.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
And Apple is putting pressure on the market by releasing new product each year. The big dilemma for Apple fans is: do I buy it now or wait for the next version...

I'm a huge Linux fan, and I do not even consider the android tablets as apple's products are doing it right for me.

VicoPad addict!

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to compete with the market dominator you have to bring something VERY good to the tale.

I think RIM is counting on bringing Blackberry-integration into the picture and a year ago I think they would have made a bigger impact. But more and more companies are removing their Blackberry requirements for company phones.

Like you, I wish they had knocked this one out of the park. Apple needs some prodding to up their game.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to give kudos to Apple. Even though there is no competition, the iPad2 was a strong update. Not as much as everyone wanted, but not resting on their laurels either.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Incremental upgrades. It's a safe way to advance without taking radical leaps or gambles on consumer response. One of my old favorite games called Armored Core used to do that (until they jumped off the deep end with a total redesign). Almost 10 games I think that were just minor tweaks mostly but fun as he'll to play.

Unfortunately Apple has really been the only ones doing this incremental refinement since they took a gamble with the iPhone.

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read a review of it earlier today, and I think what happened was they release it too early. From what I could gather, you can't even use your email on it. What sense does that make?

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The original plan was for the PlayBook to be a supplement to a BlackBerry phone. Email and other apps were suppose to be on the phone. However, they have taken a lot of flack about his concept. A lot of the issues is the lack of apps. The iPad had an easy path due to the huge number of iPhone apps that were easily doubled in size thanks to Apple's decent software. The efforts of Apple in making a solid OS, also showed in how quickly developers could convert apps to work natively on the iPad. RIM and Android apps have to be designed for a totally new OS.

Reaction score
The lack of an email app is a huge bummer.

As of now, is the Playbook too dependent on the Blackberry phone. Ideally, would RIM make it independent and thus make it a worthwhile device even for non blackberry users. Not sure, why RIM decided to limited their potential market so heavily.

Last edited:

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Incremental upgrades. It's a safe way to advance without taking radical leaps or gambles on consumer response. One of my old favorite games called Armored Core used to do that (until they jumped off the deep end with a total redesign). Almost 10 games I think that were just minor tweaks mostly but fun as he'll to play.

Unfortunately Apple has really been the only ones doing this incremental refinement since they took a gamble with the iPhone.

I believe it is more a marketing gimmick. They sell more IPads by doing the incremental upgrades. Lots of people who have an ipad 1 will switch to IPad 2. And changes are that those who don't will do it when IPad 3 comes out.

It is just a way to keep the item "hot".

Most reactions