What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading Jailbroken iPad 3 to iOS 6

ilpaggi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Jailbroken iPad 3 and I really wish to upgrade it to iOS 6.
Can I upgrade it without restoring. I have a lot of important work on my iPad and can't afford to loose it. Beside that I have a lot of apps and games.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Jailbroken iPad 3 and I really wish to upgrade it to iOS 6.
Can I upgrade it without restoring. I have a lot of important work on my iPad and can't afford to loose it. Beside that I have a lot of apps and games.

I can't give you a 100% guarantee, but - if you do a backup of the iPad, then restore it to iOS 6, you should be able to "restore from backup" (when prompted by iTunes). You won't lose data, to include game status/progression.

Make the backup just before restoring and then it should be just as you had it - but running iOS 6.

Marilyn

OP
I

ilpaggi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
I can't give you a 100% guarantee, but - if you do a backup of the iPad, then restore it to iOS 6, you should be able to "restore from backup" (when prompted by iTunes). You won't lose data, to include game status/progression.

Make the backup just before restoring and then it should be just as you had it - but running iOS 6.

Marilyn

Thanks a lot for your reply. Will this also preserve all jailbroken apps and games?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. All your Cydia tweaks and such will be gone. You can, however, re-download them from Cydia after a jail break for iOS 6 has been found (and you decide to re-jail break). Cydia is like the App Store in that regard - once you pay for a tweak or app, it's yours to download again and again.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also consider using PKGBackup before you restore. This will create a backup of all your jailbreak app and tweaks settings / data. We have a tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...p-safeguard-your-jailbreak-apps-settings.html

That way, once the IOS6 jailbreak is released, you will be able to easily restore apps, tweaks, and settings from your current configuration (selectively if necessary).

OP
I

ilpaggi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So there's not a jailbroken iOS 6 at the moment?

OP
I

ilpaggi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops sorry :)

Thanks a lot for all your help though, I really appreciate it

rahul247rocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just upgraded from 5.1.1 to iOS 6. If you do official download that will cause error since Apple servers will detect Cydia installed in your device. You need to download iPad IPSW files and then do a manual restore through iTunes suing those files. Did you get it fixed. If you are interested in learning the whole process let me know.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just upgraded from 5.1.1 to iOS 6. If you do official download that will cause error since Apple servers will detect Cydia installed in your device. You need to download iPad IPSW files and then do a manual restore through iTunes suing those files. Did you get it fixed. If you are interested in learning the whole process let me know.

Sorry, that is just not true. At no point do 'Apple Servers' try or succeed in detecting Cydia during a restore or update. We like to keep things factual as regards jailbreaks around here ;)

We have a complete failsafe restore guide here for reference - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Most reactions

Latest posts