What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading from iPad 1 and Jailbreaking Issues

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently on the iPad 1 running 5.1.1 JB. Am considering an upgrade to either the iPad 3 or iPad 4 and would like to ask the following:

for iPad 4, I understand it will come with IOS6 and as such, is unjail-breakable as of now (and not sure until when). Also, will the A6 chip make things even more difficult to JB?

For ipad3, I understand it comes with 5.1 - is this correct? If so, does it mean I should be able to JB it to 5.1, but once I do so, I cannot upgrade the OS to 5.1.1 else becuase I will lose the JB on 5.1 as SHSH blobs for 5.1 and 5.1.1 are no longer signed. Is this correct? In other words, I will be stuck on the iPad 3 on 5.1 until a JB is released for IOS6, in which case I can upgrade and then get blobs saved.

Any assistance on this JB-ing permutations will be appreciated.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and what is the disadvantage of not upgrading to ios 6? sometimes i wonder myself too....:eek:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you buy an iPad3 from the Apple store, it will have iOS 6 installed. If you can find older ones in other retail outlets, you may have a chance at getting one with iOS 5.1.1. No guarentees, because iOS 6 has been out for about a month now. In other words - it's a gamble as to whether hou can get an iPad3 with iOS 5.1.1 installed on it (or iOS 5.x anything). Again, your best bet is to go to a retailer with low traffic, hopefully they'll have "old" new ones.

The iPad4 will be released with iOS 6. And, because it has a new chip, I'm sure it'll be just as long to get a jail break for it (maybe even longer as the jail break team will have to start all over because of the new chip). So, if you get an iPad4, you will be waiting for a while.

Only you can decide which generation to get. But, if you're leaning towards an iPad3 in hopes of getting one with iOS 5.1.1, then you'll want to try soon - before they all get 'replaced" with the iPad4.

Good luck with your decision.

Marilyn

OP
K

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn, your advice has been most helpful. I went out today and got myself an iPad 3 5.1.1. I am now trying to figure out how to transfer my existing iPad 1 over to the ipad3. If you could help that would be great.

I reckon that I will first use banished to jailbreak my iPad3, then do an iTunes backup of my iPad1 (5.1.1 also) and then restore the backup into the jail broken ipad3. Is this the correct procedure? Thanks in advance!
If you buy an iPad3 from the Apple store, it will have iOS 6 installed. If you can find older ones in other retail outlets, you may have a chance at getting one with iOS 5.1.1. No guarentees, because iOS 6 has been out for about a month now. In other words - it's a gamble as to whether hou can get an iPad3 with iOS 5.1.1 installed on it (or iOS 5.x anything). Again, your best bet is to go to a retailer with low traffic, hopefully they'll have "old" new ones.

The iPad4 will be released with iOS 6. And, because it has a new chip, I'm sure it'll be just as long to get a jail break for it (maybe even longer as the jail break team will have to start all over because of the new chip). So, if you get an iPad4, you will be waiting for a while.

Only you can decide which generation to get. But, if you're leaning towards an iPad3 in hopes of getting one with iOS 5.1.1, then you'll want to try soon - before they all get 'replaced" with the iPad4.

Good luck with your decision.

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn, your advice has been most helpful. I went out today and got myself an iPad 3 5.1.1. I am now trying to figure out how to transfer my existing iPad 1 over to the ipad3. If you could help that would be great.

I reckon that I will first use banished to jailbreak my iPad3, then do an iTunes backup of my iPad1 (5.1.1 also) and then restore the backup into the jail broken ipad3. Is this the correct procedure? Thanks in advance!

I don't know what jail break tool "banish" is, all I've ever heard of are Absinthe 2.0 and redsn0w. Either one are easy to use - but I lean towards using Absinthe. Here's the tutorial for using this tool: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=77390

However, your process sequence sounds good. To save time, however, I suggest you make the back-up of the iPad1 first so that, when you are ready to use it, it will be available when you restore the iPad3. As the iPad3 will be connected to the computer at the time, you won't have to switch them out...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Marilyn

OP
K

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn, THanks again - I was typing the post using my iPad 1 and it corected Abinsthe to Banish without me noticing haha :p

OP
K

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn - just done the jailbreak and restored the iPad1's Backup to the iPad3.

Now syncing iTunes apps over. By the way, is there an easy way to get my Cydia apps and settings over from my iPad 1 to the new iPad 3?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, rats! I should have mentioned it earlier! There are backup tweaks available on Cydia (PKGBackup, $7.99, USD, being the one I use). Unfortunately, it's like the iTunes backups, you need to run it before. And yes, it would have made it easier to restore. Sorry. You'll just have to do them one at a time.

Although, maybe it's better this way. Who knows how well it would have worked transferring those Cydia/jail break tweaks over from an iPad1 to an iPad3 using a backup....

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts