What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6.1 upgrade from JB 5.1.1 questions/steps

snowbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have a JB original iPad2 at 5.1.1 that was jb via absinthe. I have blobs from 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 saved via Tiny Umbrella as well as RedSnow. I am thinking of upgrading this to 6.1 and want to make sure I have the steps correct

1) Connect via USB cable to my desktop Win7 box
2) Backup iPad via iTunes to my desktop [I am not using iCloud]
3) Remove all passwords on the ipad
3b) Put the iPad into DFU Mode. See this link for a brief tutorial: DFU Mode for Dummies
4) Install 6.1 by using iTunes and hold down SHIFT key and press on Restore button then point it to the iPad2 ipsw that I downloaded from Apple http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/041-6476.20130128.Hrb56/iPad2,1_6.1_10B141_Restore.ipsw this will wipe out all the data on the ipad
5) Once the ipad takes the upgrade to 6.1 and reboots shutdown iTunes
7) Run the Evasion JB app and let it run its course
8) Start Use iTunes and right mouse click on the device in the sidebar and select restore from back and point it to the backup made in 2) above [use local backup created in step 2 NOT the backup iTunes automatically created when step 4 was performed]
9) Login to my account in Cydia and reinstall the purchased apps as well as the free ones which I have installed under 5.1.1 and have made note of

I won't be able to downgrade to 5.1.1 since I only have blobs from 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 correct?

Suggestions or comments?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You missed one step...

Before you do the shift/restore part (your step 4), you need to put the iPad into DFU Mode. If you don't know how (or don't remember), see this link for a brief tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=27489

Other than that - you've got it. :)

Oh, and if you're putting the backup to iCloud, restore the iPad from that iCloud backup before jail breaking. If you're saving the backup to your PC - then you can wait until after the jail break (as you described).

One thing about the backup - I noticed that iTunes likes to make backups when you restore, even if you have already done a backup. So, when you are putting the backup on the iPad, make sure to pick the older one. iTunes will caution you that it's old ... ignore it. :)

One more thing - save all the blobs you can, as soon as you can (when the tools are released). You don't have to be on a specific iOS to save them; it depends solely on when Apple is authorizing each iOS (so, you can save blobs for iOS 6.1 even while on iOS 5.1.1). This is not necessary for your jail break - just a good habit to get blobs while Apple is still signing them...

Marilyn

P.S. And yea, as it stands today - once you go up to iOS 6 (since you don't have iOS 4.x blobs) you cannot downgrade to iOS 5.

OP
S

snowbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330

Thanks for the tips about the DFU and the Restore points. Also for the handy tip on the creation of the blobs even if one is not currently using that version of the firmware. I have updated my post with your recommendations primarily for myself and others in case they need the steps.

OP
S

snowbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well having big problems. I got to step 4 and got the same error message here as in http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/102537-stuck-recovery-restore.html and no matter how many times I try doing the Shft Restore and pointing it to the iPad2,1_6.1_10B141_Restore.ipsw for my iPad2 Wifi only from Dec 2011 I keep getting the same error message when in DFU ""The Ipad cannot be restored. An unknown error occurred (1600)"" also geting unknown error 1601.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try downloading the IPSW file from here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=24939. Maybe that'll help.

Also, for 1600/1601 errors, some fixes are:
- Try changing USB ports
- Use the original iPad USB cord
- Connect to the computer directly (don't use an extender or USB port; plug directly into the computer

Hopefully, new iOS firmware and some of these tips will help. If not, try using the steps outlined in this tutorial (by f4780y): http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

This tutorial works as long as all steps are followed exactly.

So, start out with a fresh IPSW and connect directly to the computer. If that doesn't work, try the failsafe tutorial.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
S

snowbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did all of those steps including the failsafe method even stopping unnecessary services but nothing seemed to work. Then discovered mention of Redsnow Restore option. Since I already had Redsnow (0.9.15b3), I tried Extras | Even More| Restore and pointed it to the same IPW file and it worked fine the first time and was able to upgrade it to the 6.1.

Most reactions

Latest posts