Upgraded to ios11

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by fogey0, Sep 30, 2017.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Great and no problem at all - be sure to get the manual - :) As to the 'balloon' above in bold, I'm not quite sure what your mean, e.g. a flag on an app icon? If you know how to do a 'screen capture' then use 'Upload a File' and select the pic; if not, you'll have be be clearer unless one of our other members knows the answer.

Thanks for the info on your iPad - you have meager storage, i.e. 16 GB - tell us how much capacity is left on your device, i.e. go to General -> About - see my circled items in the pic below - w/ this iOS upgrade my iPad Air 2 gained at least 4+ GB of free capacity (a good point for your machine), but if you are down to just a few GBs, performance can be impacted.

Finally, keep in mind that w/ Apple's major iOS upgrades, features often improved, are added, or offer more function which is true for the items that you decided to disable - take a look at this Apple KB article on Multitasking on the iPad - 'Slide Over' & 'Split View' are a lot easier; plus, I'm using that new KB - sometimes just takes time to get use to new features. Dave :)
    IMG_0394.PNG

2. fogey0

fogey0
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. The “ballon” is the large gray area at the bottom of the home page that used to store redundant icons. I am using 8gb out of 16.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Concerning your 'free capacity', you'll in good shape for a 16 GB device - must not have much music, photos, books/mags, etc.

As to the question in bold above, see the pic below of my home page - the bottom area is called the 'Dock' and is an integral part of iOS (assuming that is your reference?) - the Dock stores your oft used apps and will stay in place as you shuffle through your HOME pages, but I assume you know this already?

For myself, there are 7 icons (actually 6 - the 'Folder' is new to iOS 11) that I put in the Dock - the 3 to the right are recently used apps, convenient for multitasking (as linked in my last post) and related features. As already pointed out, the recent apps appearance can be disabled, but you cannot delete the Dock when your home page(s) is active - check How to use the dock in iOS 11 - good luck and let us know if I've interpreted your statement above correctly? Dave :)

IMG_0395.PNG

4. fogey0

fogey0
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your help clearing everything up and especially your patience. Much appreciated.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    No problem and glad to help - Dave :)

6. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Dave, how did you manage to download the iOS 11 user guide? When I try to save it to iBooks, all I get is a few pages of one chapter. Link?

Also, the new Today screen makes me crazy. To see my widgets, I have to pull down, then swipe right...EVERY TIME! Why won’t it stick on Today instead of reverting to Notifications, which I never use?

Some of the Apple apps can’t be put into folders anymore.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Lanny - believe that I used iBooks on the iPad (see first pic) - directions listed in image which should permit a manual download - or, use a browser and google 'Apple manuals' - see 2nd pic w/ directions - there you should be able to read the manual online or download - hope one of these methods work for you. Dave :)
    Manual1.jpeg Manual2.jpeg

8. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Dave, the first method worked, once I reenabled the iBooks store. Thanks. The second method only saves the current chapter as a PDF.

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Lanny - glad you were able to DL the manual - as to the second image in my previous post, i.e. in the browser, if the 'iBooks' option is selected, then the dialog box shown below appears - on my iPad which already has the manual, 'Read' is my option; however, I suspect 'Get' would be the choice otherwise and permit a DL to iBooks - Dave :)
    IMG_353B54E5BA73-1.jpeg

10. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Hmph. I finally managed to move apps into folders. It's much trickier than before--if you don't press for exactly the right duration, and drop in exactly the right place, the move fails. Ridiculously frustrating; what was wrong with the old method, which worked easily? Somebody at Apple has too much time on his hands...

I do like the new keyboard, with flicks to do numbers and punctuation.