What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgraded to ios11

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a horrible mistake. I can’t do anything with the iPad with this. How do I go back?
Thank you

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW, any backup you made while on iOS 11 will not work with an iPad on iOS 10. You’ll have to set up your downgraded iPad with the last backup to made before updating to iOS 11.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Johanna & SciFan.. and of course others wanting to respond - a number of our members post about iPad iOS upgrades/updates and do not own a computer, so cabling to iTunes is not an option. Are there any recommendations for these people who might want to do an iOS downgrade? Dave :)

OP
F

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I did get it back but on iOS 11 which I guess I’m stuck with. Two other questions: can I get rid of the block at the bottom of the home page which collects redundant icons and is there anyway to get back a normal keyboard?
Thanks again.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I did get it back but on iOS 11 which I guess I’m stuck with. Two other questions: can I get rid of the block at the bottom of the home page which collects redundant icons and is there anyway to get back a normal keyboard?
Thanks again.

Hello and glad that you at least got back to iOS 11 - you might want to tell us which iPad you own and how much storage is available (e.g. 16 GB, 32 GB, or other) - these may impact on your experience w/ this new iDevice OS. As to your questions, see my screen captures below: 1) For the Dock, go to General -> Multitasking & Dock - disable the circled item; and 2) For the KB, go to General -> Keyboards - disable the 'Key Flicks', and review the other items.

Also, I would strongly suggest that you download (or view online) the new iOS 11 manual from Apple - I have it downloaded in iBooks - you can also look at Apple manuals. Good luck. Dave :)
IMG_0392.PNG
IMG_0393.PNG

OP
F

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both worked. Does the balloon have to stay even without icons? My iPad is iPad Air 16gb
Again the help is much appreciated.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you both worked. Does the balloon have to stay even without icons? My iPad is iPad Air 16gb
Again the help is much appreciated.

Great and no problem at all - be sure to get the manual - :) As to the 'balloon' above in bold, I'm not quite sure what your mean, e.g. a flag on an app icon? If you know how to do a 'screen capture' then use 'Upload a File' and select the pic; if not, you'll have be be clearer unless one of our other members knows the answer.

Thanks for the info on your iPad - you have meager storage, i.e. 16 GB - tell us how much capacity is left on your device, i.e. go to General -> About - see my circled items in the pic below - w/ this iOS upgrade my iPad Air 2 gained at least 4+ GB of free capacity (a good point for your machine), but if you are down to just a few GBs, performance can be impacted.

Finally, keep in mind that w/ Apple's major iOS upgrades, features often improved, are added, or offer more function which is true for the items that you decided to disable - take a look at this Apple KB article on Multitasking on the iPad - 'Slide Over' & 'Split View' are a lot easier; plus, I'm using that new KB - sometimes just takes time to get use to new features. Dave :)
IMG_0394.PNG

OP
F

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. The “ballon” is the large gray area at the bottom of the home page that used to store redundant icons. I am using 8gb out of 16.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. The “ballon” is the large gray area at the bottom of the home page that used to store redundant icons. I am using 8gb out of 16.

Concerning your 'free capacity', you'll in good shape for a 16 GB device - must not have much music, photos, books/mags, etc.

As to the question in bold above, see the pic below of my home page - the bottom area is called the 'Dock' and is an integral part of iOS (assuming that is your reference?) - the Dock stores your oft used apps and will stay in place as you shuffle through your HOME pages, but I assume you know this already?

For myself, there are 7 icons (actually 6 - the 'Folder' is new to iOS 11) that I put in the Dock - the 3 to the right are recently used apps, convenient for multitasking (as linked in my last post) and related features. As already pointed out, the recent apps appearance can be disabled, but you cannot delete the Dock when your home page(s) is active - check How to use the dock in iOS 11 - good luck and let us know if I've interpreted your statement above correctly? Dave :)

IMG_0395.PNG

OP
F

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help clearing everything up and especially your patience. Much appreciated.

Most reactions