What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update to 12.1 broke 3rd party applications access to iDevices

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recently updated to the latest iTunes version on my 64-bit Windows 7 computer. Some time after that, I noticed that 3rd party applications that work with iDevices (at first I needed iFunBox, and today I needed Taig jailbreak tool; I presume it would be pretty much the same with all others as well), don't work anymore. They report that the Apple driver is missing (and recommend installing iTunes), or an error about Apple Mobile Device Support (failed to load iOS device driver). Of course they can't connect to iDevices anymore.

I can only speculate that this is due to the fact that this iTunes update also meant (from what I can tell) switching from 32-bit iTunes to 64-bit iTunes.

I already tried reinstalling iTunes (repair option). Is this something we all just have to wait to be fixed?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I read that the new iTunes (version 12.1) has "broken" restores to iOS 8.1.2, interferes with TaiG and/or prevents iFunBox from working properly. I don't know if there is an error - in the sense it will be fixed [by Apple].

The only solution I have seen for this is to completely uninstall iTunes 12.1 and reinstall iTunes version 12.0.1.

Marilyn

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is iMazing also affected? Or else, this sounds almost deliberate then.
My guess was that the 32-to-64-bit upgrade (on Windows) messed up the paths to drivers (as the new installation is in "Program Files" and previous was under "Program Files (x86)").

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about iMazing (I've never used it).

As far as I understand, jailbreakers are only affected by this iTunes update if they are trying to downgrade to iOS 8.1.2 (since the window is still open). Since Apple will be closing the window eventually, I don't see them seeing this as a bug. Nor do I see them trying to fix it.

I don't know how/why the change to iTunes affects the various programs such as iFunBox. But, I am sure that if its a permanent change to Apple's programming of iTunes, the developers of the various iDevice access programs will update their products to be compatible with the new iTunes.

So, for those who want to take advantage of the "window" and downgrade their devices to iOS 8.1.2 so they can jailbreak them, the only thing to do is re-install iTunes 12.0 [something].

For those of us wanting to use the various programs to access our iDevices, I guess we have to wait until those tools are updated or use the various SSH tools available. Or, there's always the Cydia tweak iFile...

So, no, I don't think this is a deliberate sabotage by Apple. And, it probably is to make iTunes run better on 64-bit computers. We just happened to be caught in the brief moment of time when both iOS 8.1.2 and iOS 8.1.3 are available for download, but iTunes 12.1 will only install iOS 8.1.3.

Hope some of this made sense... :)

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks! Is there a 32-bit version? I'd prefer to do this on my secondary computer (32-bit Windows 7) and leave the main one intact.

Roman Shark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.romanshark.com
Hi there! I had the same issues, so just to inform all of you having troubles with iFunBox, they just released new version v2.94 adding iFunbox x64 (64bit) version, that it is supposed to fix the "failed to load iOS driver" issue. I've tested it right now and it's working with new iTunes version, so now we can access iFunbox even with new iTunes. Basically, new iFunbox adds 64bit support for 64bit drivers version (since it's the major change in iTunes 12.1). Update iFunbox right away! :) (and remeber to discard old desktop or pinned links, since new iFunbox version points to different exe file if you are with x64 OS).

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Glad to hear, going to try it out soon. Do I have to remove the old iFunBox first (I remember some updates would just add another installation of the application along the old one)?

Roman Shark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.romanshark.com
Glad to hear, going to try it out soon. Do I have to remove the old iFunBox first (I remember some updates would just add another installation of the application along the old one)?

Hi there! I didn't remove the previous version, so it seems to be working fine just upgrading to the new one :)

Last edited:
OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, I upgraded it and it works. I though it would put the new version under c:\Program Files\i-Funbox DevTeam\, but it seems to have kept it in c:\Program Files (x86)\i-Funbox DevTeam\ (and with both 32- and 64-bit versions).

Most reactions

Latest posts