Update to 12.1 broke 3rd party applications access to iDevices

Discussion in 'iTunes Forum' started by Commodore, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Commodore

Commodore
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I recently updated to the latest iTunes version on my 64-bit Windows 7 computer. Some time after that, I noticed that 3rd party applications that work with iDevices (at first I needed iFunBox, and today I needed Taig jailbreak tool; I presume it would be pretty much the same with all others as well), don't work anymore. They report that the Apple driver is missing (and recommend installing iTunes), or an error about Apple Mobile Device Support (failed to load iOS device driver). Of course they can't connect to iDevices anymore.

I can only speculate that this is due to the fact that this iTunes update also meant (from what I can tell) switching from 32-bit iTunes to 64-bit iTunes.

I already tried reinstalling iTunes (repair option). Is this something we all just have to wait to be fixed?

2. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I read that the new iTunes (version 12.1) has "broken" restores to iOS 8.1.2, interferes with TaiG and/or prevents iFunBox from working properly. I don't know if there is an error - in the sense it will be fixed [by Apple].

The only solution I have seen for this is to completely uninstall iTunes 12.1 and reinstall iTunes version 12.0.1.

Marilyn

3. Commodore

Commodore
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Is iMazing also affected? Or else, this sounds almost deliberate then.
    My guess was that the 32-to-64-bit upgrade (on Windows) messed up the paths to drivers (as the new installation is in "Program Files" and previous was under "Program Files (x86)").

4. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know about iMazing (I've never used it).

As far as I understand, jailbreakers are only affected by this iTunes update if they are trying to downgrade to iOS 8.1.2 (since the window is still open). Since Apple will be closing the window eventually, I don't see them seeing this as a bug. Nor do I see them trying to fix it.

I don't know how/why the change to iTunes affects the various programs such as iFunBox. But, I am sure that if its a permanent change to Apple's programming of iTunes, the developers of the various iDevice access programs will update their products to be compatible with the new iTunes.

So, for those who want to take advantage of the "window" and downgrade their devices to iOS 8.1.2 so they can jailbreak them, the only thing to do is re-install iTunes 12.0 [something].

For those of us wanting to use the various programs to access our iDevices, I guess we have to wait until those tools are updated or use the various SSH tools available. Or, there's always the Cydia tweak iFile...

So, no, I don't think this is a deliberate sabotage by Apple. And, it probably is to make iTunes run better on 64-bit computers. We just happened to be caught in the brief moment of time when both iOS 8.1.2 and iOS 8.1.3 are available for download, but iTunes 12.1 will only install iOS 8.1.3.

Hope some of this made sense... :)

Marilyn

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Commodore

Commodore
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Any idea where I could get the previous version? This page
    http://support.apple.com/downloads/#itunes
    only keeps certain versions.
    I also checked oldversion.com and oldapps.com, but for some reason they only go up to around v11.

6. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  7. Commodore

Commodore
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! Is there a 32-bit version? I'd prefer to do this on my secondary computer (32-bit Windows 7) and leave the main one intact.

8. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  9. Commodore

Commodore
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks again.

10. Roman Shark

Roman Shark
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi there! I had the same issues, so just to inform all of you having troubles with iFunBox, they just released new version v2.94 adding iFunbox x64 (64bit) version, that it is supposed to fix the "failed to load iOS driver" issue. I've tested it right now and it's working with new iTunes version, so now we can access iFunbox even with new iTunes. Basically, new iFunbox adds 64bit support for 64bit drivers version (since it's the major change in iTunes 12.1). Update iFunbox right away! :) (and remeber to discard old desktop or pinned links, since new iFunbox version points to different exe file if you are with x64 OS).