What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Understanding Cydia<>Changes

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't visit Cydia so often any more, and today, when researching a couple of iPhone apps (for blocking "Unknown" calls), I see the notification that there are "Changes" - 11 for the iPad and 9 for the iPhone. I presume this is the same as "Updates" from the App Store. However I don't know exactly how to use it.

One of the items listed in both iDevices is "Mobile Substrate." There have been a number of threads saying bad things about Mobile Substrate, and how things went badly after installing that one or upgrading that one.

Yet... when I try to remove it from the list, it won't let me. Can someone please help me figure this out. I'd like to be able to avoid that one in particular for now, and get the other updates.

This goes along somewhat with another issue I have, which is all the updates that are coming out for the apps I have... updates intended for iOS5 - the notifications for which will not go away. (I have another inquiry thread on that from several days back, but no one made a reply on it yet).

(( EDIT )) I just reviwed a discussion about the Cydia Updates and Mobile Substrate, but the threads got off track, and really didn't come to any sensible conclusions.

Thanks,

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:
OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks,

I followed that instruction and DID dismiss Mobile Substrate from the update list. I don't know why I got the message before that said "can't comply" or something.

AND... I did all the updates, sans Mobile Substrate on both devices and all seems to be just fine.

NOW.... How about Mobile Substrate?? Any yes's or no's on that one?? I don't understand what it is, but I'll probably be brave and give it a go after a while, or after I get some positive replies on it. I do know how to do a Hard Reset type Reboot, and will definately do that proceedure after installing it.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I know it pays to be cautious, but I did just go ahead and update that last (Mobile Substrate) thing. It went just fine on both the phone and the pad. So far I haven't found anything that doesn't work right.

Whew.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And really you can just hit "update" in the top right after you go to the changes page to update all.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd really be nervous updating other tweaks without Mobile Substrate just because it's so essential though since its a version update perhaps it's not as vital. I've yet to run into an update that rendered 4.3 unusable unlike AppStore. Also, updating a lot of Cydia apps at once can sometimes make for some brief wonkiness in my experience.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. Consider this please...

1) mobile substrate is a core component of many jailbreak tweaks. Not updating it is not a great idea unless there is a widely publicised issue. Saurik would pull it from Cydia immediately if this was the case.
2) we always try and warn the community immediately if there is anything critical they should stay away from. There is nothing falling into that category at the moment
3) yes, a couple of users had problems which were posted here when it was released.... Tens of thousands of people did not have any issues... try to keep it in perspective

Hope that helps!

Most reactions

Latest posts