What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underlined and high lighted words in emails

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
An anyone explain why when I send an email the word tonight and sometimes a date is high lighted in another colour?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An anyone explain why when I send an email the word tonight and sometimes a date is high lighted in another colour?
It's a slick feature for creating Calendar appointments. If you tap on the highlighted date it gives you the opportunity to create a new appointment in your Calendar App (and if you have iCloud it will sync with all of your devices). It's a standard Apple feature in all of their products.

IMG_0020.PNG

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's a slick feature for creating Calendar appointments. If you tap on the highlighted date it gives you the opportunity to create a new appointment in your Calendar App (and if you have iCloud it will sync with all of your devices). It's a standard Apple feature in all of their products.

View attachment 7476

Thank you both for asking and replying. I thought underlining was to make the reader focus on the date.

Last edited:
OP
55julie55

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you,
Is there a way to highlight a selected word or future date.?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you,
Is there a way to highlight a selected word or future date.?
Any date should already be highlighted. In the example above you can see both "tonight" and the specific date are highlighted.

If you want to highlight text in most any iPad app just double-tap a word and it will highlight with handles on either side that you can drag to additional text, then you can copy, cut, etc. by tapping the selection again.

select-text-ipad.png

If you mean can you format text in Mail on the iPad, there's a discussion about it here...

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/16357-rich-text-e-mail-ipad-possible.html

Last edited:
OP
55julie55

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, i can highlight,what I was trying to ask was can I underline specific words ( not just dates)I wish to underline in my email messages for the recipient to see? And or change its colour
Have 3 accounts gmail,outlook and email anywhere.
Not sure if this is relevant

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, i can highlight,what I was trying to ask was can I underline specific words ( not just dates)I wish to underline in my email messages for the recipient to see? And or change its colour
Have 3 accounts gmail,outlook and email anywhere.
Not sure if this is relevant
Mail on the iPad doesn't have the ability to format text, but there are workarounds. Have a look at the link I mentioned.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mail on the iPad doesn't have the ability to format text, but there are workarounds. Have a look at the link I mentioned.

Sorry, but I've got to step in and tell y'all that Mail does have the ability to format text; it's one of the features in the new iOS 5.0. You can make text bold, italicized or underlined (or all three at once). Here's how:

Open Mail and start a new message. Then highlight the the text you want to format by dragging you finger over it (or, just "Select" one word by holding it and pressing select). Release the text and the Cut, Copy or Paste menu comes up. Tap the right arrow.

The new formatting options will come up (you'll see a tab titled "BIU"). Tap the button with the formatting icons. A new little pop-up will appear with the words Bold, Italics, and Underline.

Select any or all of the formatting options. When you are done, just tap a blank space outside the highlighted word(s).

You can format just one word all the way up to the whole message. Just highlight the words you want to format and go to town. :D

I hardly ever use it, because it is a pain to (1) remember how to get to it and (2) go through all those steps. But, if you want emphasis, that's the way Apple has enabled it.

Marilyn

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, but I've got to step in and tell y'all that Mail does have the ability to format text; it's one of the features in the new iOS 5.0. You can make text bold, italicized or underlined (or all three at once). Here's how:

Open Mail and start a new message. Then highlight the the text you want to format by dragging you finger over it (or, just "Select" one word by holding it and pressing select). Release the text and the Cut, Copy or Paste menu comes up. Tap the right arrow.

The new formatting options will come up (you'll see a tab titled "BIU"). Tap the button with the formatting icons. A new little pop-up will appear with the words Bold, Italics, and Underline.

Select any or all of the formatting options. When you are done, just tap a blank space outside the highlighted word(s).

You can format just one word all the way up to the whole message. Just highlight the words you want to format and go to town. :D

I hardly ever use it, because it is a pain to (1) remember how to get to it and (2) go through all those steps. But, if you want emphasis, that's the way Apple has enabled it.

Marilyn
D'oh! I completely forgot about that "enhancement". :eek: Thanks very much...my bad...slinking off to corner of room now. :eek:

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn! Really appreciate your excellent knowledge and helpful tips.

Never, never, never give up -- Winston Churchill

OP
55julie55

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks all,that makes a huge difference.
Appreciate the passed on knowledge.
Thanks gain!

1957PamelaApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
D'oh! I completely forgot about that "enhancement". :eek: Thanks very much...my bad...slinking off to corner of room now. :eek:

Hey, proving the Users' forum is cool, I found your advice, tried it in Gmail on my iPad 2 and it works!! Thank you! I can now italicise!

The iPad on-screen keyboard is slightly annoying, or should I say my two-digit typing would like to have the Shift Arrow bottom left and the ?123 above it, with the French keyboard option higher still. But I love the way I can lean on ! to get an apostrophe or lean on ? and get a speech mark. And I LOVE leaning on a letter and getting the accents for Spanish and French words etc...

Most reactions

Latest posts