What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Formatting Emails

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've got Yahoo email on my iPad. Does anyone know how to bold, underline, and italicize words? I can't see a way to do it. There are times when being able to do that would come in handy.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not sure that those options are available w/i the Yahoo mail apps for the iPad - I have the Mail app linked to my Yahoo account - downloads messages fine, but when I do reply, I see no selections to change the appearance of the letters.

Also, going to Yahoo on Safari the same reply box opens w/o those selections being obvious. I do have an Apple BT keyboard but have not explored all of the choices on that device - plenty of extra keys for options - will look into that device more.

I guess another 'work around' would be to compose your message in an app that permits both, italics, & underline - then do a copy and paste - not sure how this would end up looking after the paste into Yahoo mail, i.e. may not work?

Looking forward to other posts on this issue from those who may have figured out a way - good luck. :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got Yahoo email on my iPad. Does anyone know how to bold, underline, and italicize words? I can't see a way to do it. There are times when being able to do that would come in handy.

If you mean you're using the iPad's native Mail app to access your Yahoo email, then the basic Mail app has no way of doing bold, underline etc....

OK - that was the bad news, now for the good news. The iPad's native Mail app can display HTML formatted email - though it has no mechanism for generating it.

So I use an HTML editor app, generate the HTML formatted email there (fonts, colour, size, underline, italics etc etc) and then copy and paste it into Mail, where it is displayed and sent without any trouble at all. A bit of a work around, but not too bad. You'll find several HTML editors in the App Store, so take your pick!!

Tim

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
If you mean you're using the iPad's native Mail app to access your Yahoo email, then the basic Mail app has no way of doing bold, underline etc....

OK - that was the bad news, now for the good news. The iPad's native Mail app can display HTML formatted email - though it has no mechanism for generating it.

So I use an HTML editor app, generate the HTML formatted email there (fonts, colour, size, underline, italics etc etc) and then copy and paste it into Mail, where it is displayed and sent without any trouble at all. A bit of a work around, but not too bad. You'll find several HTML editors in the App Store, so take your pick!!

Tim

What is an HTML editor? I've never heard of it. And which one would you suggest I get?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Wytey!!!

OK - most of these HTML (just in case you wanted to know...Hyper Text Markup Language - OK, you didn't want to know, sorry...:( ) editors are for web-site editing - so they prattle on (is 'prattle' a UK slang term?) about web-site editing because HTML is used to format websites, but they work just fine for this application...

Tim

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Thanks, Wytey!!!

OK - most of these HTML (just in case you wanted to know...Hyper Text Markup Language - OK, you didn't want to know, sorry...:( ) editors are for web-site editing - so they prattle on (is 'prattle' a UK slang term?) about web-site editing because HTML is used to format websites, but they work just fine for this application...

Tim

Prattle, ramble, all the same :)

- Sig - How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wytey said:
Info re html here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML_editor

Play about here

http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_intro

- Sig - How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours

The links that you've provided have to do with building websites. What I was referring to was doing things with fonts on Yahoo email such bold, underline, and italicize fonts. Being able to increase font size would be nice too.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wytey said:
Info re html here

HTML editor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Play about here

Tryit Editor v1.4

The links that you've provided have to do with building websites. What I was referring to was doing things with fonts on Yahoo email such bold, underline, and italicize fonts. Being able to increase font size would be nice too.

Using an HTML editor you can build a screen with the formatted text that you want - then just copy-and-paste to the iPad's Mail app. It works fine...

Tim

BVann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did something accidentally while using email on iPad, yahoo mail acct, and it changed the font color to green?! There must be some combination of keys to change font color?

BVann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Font color, yahoo mail

I found sort of a solution. The sent yahoo email using ipad showed as green font when received on another ipad, but was just black when viewed on a dell desktop. So, here's how I got the green or blue text (no red):
Type your message. Press and hold on the typed text to get the select, select all option. Highlight the part you want to appear in a different color. Select the button that say a "quote level" and hit decrease. Depending on how many times you hit the decrease button, that's the different colors available.

Most reactions