What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Unable to Check for Update" iOS7

docfrye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 6 remaining iPads to update to iOS7. They will not update. If it can be done to facilitate the update I have done it (???) I continue to receive the "Unable to Check for Update" error each time I attempt to update. This is not because Apple's servers are busy because every other iPad has updated.
I have tried OTA and iTunes. I have erased, reset and restored. I have erased and restored under the same device ID, and I have erased and setup as a new iPad. I have tried different Wi-Fi nodes. I have used varying DNS settings. I haven't bounced one of the wall yet but that could happen soon.
Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try upgrading them manually?

First, download the proper IPSW file for each iPad (remember, you can only load iOS 7.0.2). You can get them here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Just make sure you don't use Internet Explorer to do the download as it likes to change the .ipsw extension to .zip. Makes a "mell of a hess"! :)

Then, after closing iTunes, connect each iPad to the computer and follow the steps outlined here to put the iPad into DFU mode: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

Once the iPad is in DFU mode, start iTunes. It should recognize the iPad as being in recovery mode. Follow the prompts until you get the option button to "Restore" the iPad.

At this time, hold the Shift key and then click on the button. A Windows Explorer window will open so you can browse to the location where you downloaded that .ipsw file. After selecting the file, click the Open key and iTunes should take over to restore the iPad to iOS 7.0.2.

Once you've got the first one done, just "rinse and repeat" for the remaining iPads...

Hope this helps. If not, or if you have questions, holler back and we'll take another shot at it. Good luck.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just to cover the obvious, because sometimes it 'is' missed, the first generation iPads can not be updated beyond iOS 5.x. The quickest way to tell if the iPad is an iPad 1 is to check the back for a camera. No camera, then it's a 1.

Most reactions