What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to access internet when connected to 'other' network(away from home)

Elaine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there...

I'm still 'making friends' with my new ipad.

One problem that has just cropped up was when I had my ipad out at the coffee shop it 'saw' the available network & I did click on it 'to join' & all signs pointed to me being connected to the internet. However, when I tried to access the internet (bring up a web site) it was a 'no go'. A lot of searching & spinning went on to no avail.

Am I missing something really basic here? I've only tried it at this one 'outside-of-the-homebase' spot so could it be the actual location that the problem is stemming from? No password was requested.

Any help/thoughts/suggestions would be so appreciated.
w/thanks,
E.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have you tried this router with another device? If your wifi works its not your iPad...its their router. Most coffee shops and book stores require you to go into safari and agree to their terms before you can use their internet.

Works fine for me everywhere.

OP
E

Elaine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would I be 'prompted' to go into Safari & do all that?

Thanks...I am soooo new to this thing...Still keep looking for my menu bar (a la laptop):eek:
E.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Hi there...

I'm still 'making friends' with my new ipad.

One problem that has just cropped up was when I had my ipad out at the coffee shop it 'saw' the available network & I did click on it 'to join' & all signs pointed to me being connected to the internet. However, when I tried to access the internet (bring up a web site) it was a 'no go'. A lot of searching & spinning went on to no avail.

Am I missing something really basic here? I've only tried it at this one 'outside-of-the-homebase' spot so could it be the actual location that the problem is stemming from? No password was requested.

Any help/thoughts/suggestions would be so appreciated.
w/thanks,
E.

Are you 100% sure it was the coffee shop's network and not "Free Public Wifi"? It can be that sometimes someone who is out with a PC will have it on, broadcasting but not actually connected - a nice feature with PC wireless devices at times. Also, see if the coffee shop can reset their router.

Talk to the staff at the coffee house, get the details of their wireless internet.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would I be 'prompted' to go into Safari & do all that?

Thanks...I am soooo new to this thing...Still keep looking for my menu bar (a la laptop):eek:
E.

You would be prompted as soon as you open safari...otherwise no.

If you connect to their wifi and don't first go to safari and say go to mail, you will get nothing.

You have to open safari agree to their terms then use any other app.

OP
E

Elaine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably the clearest thing to do would be to try logging on somewhere that would be a 'for sure' for accessing a wifi connection outside of my own network. ie: the public library.
I actually can't confirm this coffee shop has wifi. I know, I should have asked before bugging you folks with all this. A network simply showed up in the 'want to join' menu. It all looked good...just didn't work.
Thanks again... I'm crossin' my fingers for the ol' dependable library...
E.
ps: I will pay attention to the Safari consideration next time as well.

OP
E

Elaine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just so ya know...I'm sittin' here in the OTHER coffee shop in town was able to log on without a hitch!! :)

So...looks like all your thoughts/suggestions around my original posting were dead-on.

thanks for all our time on this.
...'till next time I'm fumbling my way thru this wonderful new possession of mine,
E.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
A network simply showed up in the 'want to join' menu. It all looked good...just didn't work.

This is never a good idea anyway. You never know what is going on with random wireless devices. Most stores and coffee shops will have their wifi name close, if not identical, to their name or something that is unmistakeable. There are always exceptions. Generally, the staff can answer those questions pretty easily.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A network simply showed up in the 'want to join' menu. It all looked good...just didn't work.

This is never a good idea anyway. You never know what is going on with random wireless devices. Most stores and coffee shops will have their wifi name close, if not identical, to their name or something that is unmistakeable. There are always exceptions. Generally, the staff can answer those questions pretty easily.

Starbucks is just called ATT.

lprmcnit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a somewhat similar issue with an airport public wi-fi network. All I can conclude is that the network was maxxed out or something. I think it has been mentioned before, but if you go into wi-fi settings for the specific network and see an ip address starting with 169.x.x.x then you know that you ARE NOT connected, regardless of what the wi-fi indicator on the top left shows...

Most reactions

Latest posts