What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

major battery drain and heat since update

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not sure why since I updated to 7.1.2. my ipad 4 is running hotter and draining battery way to fast for my liking.

nothing has changed in how I use my ipad, the only change that I can think that has done this is the update to 7.1.2. (I also added battery doctor app same time as the update).

even with the screen brightness turned low and reading a book I loose battery pretty fast and it's heating up more then before.

and all my power saving tricks learned from here and the web have been done.

also noticed that since I did the 7.1.2 to my iPhone 4s. it drains battery faster also.

any clu?

Tom

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know this is "an oldie but a goodie" but it's always a good idea to reset your iPad after any system update: do this, if you have not already done it:)
Simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. Keep holding both until the Apple logo appears and then let both go. Then wait until your wallpaper appears. Restart your iPad.
Let's know how you got on. More assistance is never far away!
Regards, Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk Pro

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you remember to disable Bluetooth? Every update so far has turned it on without asking, and its radio is another battery drain.

My goodness me. I have updated with each release since iPad 2 was issued, and I never knew bluetooth was turned on by default. I have never used bluetooth, so did not see it was turned on in the settings app.

I too have found battery drain has increased recently by about 20%, (I check usage against % left every night and have records going back almost 2 years), and having turned bluetooth off I shall be keeping a sharp (and expectant) eye on battery usage.

Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
M

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes after every update I turn off Bluetooth and adjust my brightness

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been doing some research.

Is mail fetching data. You can change how often, or even make it manual, i.e. New mail only fetched when the app is running.

Some say don't close apps as when next used the IOS has to re-load, using more battery. If device needs more memory it will close some apps without your intervention. Oh, and by the way, leaving apps means they re-awaken rapidly without having to be loaded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
M

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks, mail only is checked when I open it. I find the leaving apps open interesting. I close them a lot thinking if they run in the background it uses more memory which uses more battery life?

I did give the ipad a nice over night charge to 100% and did the 2 button reset, seemed to help with the heat problem but my battery is still going down faster then I like.

I have lost 3% writing this, I'm a slow typer but not that slow .

Tom

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to matter WHAT I do to stop battery drainage and mine drains fast! I have been using it for days, ALWAYS hooked up to power source. I have done everything suggested in this whole thread and yet I am having battery drainage!
I keep checking my usage data, before I plugged it in to the power source full time, it didn't matter what I did - the two usage numbers have always, Always remained the same! Even when I put it on airplane mode and put it to sleep or power right down.
Any suggestions would be wonderful! Thanks, Diane.:)

OP
M

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well, I am starting to lose my love with apple. if all my purchases could be moved to the other side I would consider changing.

I remember back In my android days having all the same problems I'm having with my apple products now .

I just got a 5 s iphone. nice screen btw. it has the same battery issues as my ipad after 7 1 2.

I saw a commercial basically calling apple user wall huggers because of battery issues, I'm starting to believe it.

I'm going to be really upset when the next run of apple devices start advertising longer battery life but you will have to spend another 500 of you hard earned money.

it really bothers me that we all pay for our stuff, devices and content, but it has to be acceptable that the battery's. suck.

I would almost at this point prefer to load them with AA battery's

vent over.
say NO to 7 1 2.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Except most people who have upgraded to 7.1.2 are not having the battery problems you mention; which suggest there is another factor at work.

Not that I have any idea what the cause is in your case. :(

Battery drain issues have many causes and contributing causes. That can make them hard to track down. And that is true on both platforms.

A close look/reading of Samsung's wall hugger and other ads comes down to two things. To get great battery life you can either carry around an extra battery, or turn on low energy mode and barely use your device.

Those wall huggers are not desperately trying to get charge on their phones to last the day, they are make heavy use of their phones; browsing, gaming, conferencing, etc. At least that's how I see them. People used to play the same game with laptops in the airport.

I like Samsung's 500 hour cross country trip. The distance and hours are impressive, but when you look at what they actually did with the phone; take some photos, send some texts, and make a few calls; you wonder why they needed a smart phone to begin with. Especially when you consider how few photos, texts, calls they made for that amount of time.

In essence, they are saying as long as you use your smart phone as a dumb phone, you can use it almost as long as you could a dumb phone.

A handy feature when you are desperately trying to not run out of power, but hardly the reason people buy smartphone to begin with.

I'm not saying those things are bad features, just that Android is not inherently better at battery usage. It just has a couple of ways to compensate. You can do pretty much the same thing on the iPhone; carry an external battery pack, and turn off all extra stuff while not using it much. Samsung has made these two things more convenient to do, without making the experince any less palatable.

Anyway, that's my (admittedly biased) take on Samsung's ads.

OP
M

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying.

there is one reason I got my ipad 1. easy to hold, easy to use, and for the maybe 2 hours a day I used it was great battery life, my ipad 1 blew my laptop out of the water battery wise, ipad vs laptop' ipad hours of more use, tho the laptop CPU was a battery drainer, but the ipad 1 was a battery saver, I understand there wasn't as much physical demand on the iPads when they were first launched, but I would think as software progressed and chips progressed the battery would also.

I did notice back when I had May ipad1 that every update made the battery drain, that's when I started to jailbreak my ipad1 and the battery would last longer, but after getting tired of chasing Cydia I decided to became a true apple fan.why? the product was better than anything on the market, still is but lacking.

I updated to the ipad 4 and iPhone 4s. being told that the battery life on these devices where much better then the iphone and ipad 1.

the ipad 4 with that lighting charger took longer to charge and got hotter, the iphone 4 with the old style charger chargers faster and really never got hot.

seems that every update I'm loosing battery life. my brand new paid in full 5s iphone is proving this, was ok just like my 4s until I updated to 7 1 2.

I have figured out the heat issues, it's because of using the device while charging or right after charging.

the battery drain? on 3 devices has got me stumped. like I said before if apple comes out with a campaign for the newest I WHATEVER saying longer battery life other then a free iOS update, it would tell me Microsoft is controlling the entire market.

I'm sorry. I know I'm not the only one with this issue, I am finding harder to understand why apple is basically what I feel, turning us out into the android Microsoft heard.

also yes. I have been hugging the wall more now then I was in the past.

I am kind of sorry for posting this, but maybe there will be a answer.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I understand your frustration. I own an iPad Air and iPhone 5, both on the latest iOS version, and I'd be more than a little irritated if I were having the same issues.

Battery technology has advanced with each model, but the features people demanded and/or Apple has added, have outpaced it. Most of the reason battery life has kept pace (for most people) has to do with battery saving chips and software, not better batteries. Much like Samsung's low power mode, only it's supposed to be intelligently applied by the OS.

Obviously this means that when the software and chip mode solution gets bugs or bypassed by settings, or by apps, the battery gets hammered.

I don't remember if you've been pointed at this article yet:

overthought.org

It's by a former Apple employee, and everything he knows about preserving battery life and the issues involved.

and here is the forum thread it was originally posted in, for our side discussion on the issues involved:

http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-battery-drain.120592/

If you have an Apple store near you, it might be worth a Genius appointment to have them look over your iPad's or iPhone's settings, and maybe even run some diagnostics to see if there is something else at issue.

That's all I can suggest.

I didn't bring any of this up earlier because I was under the impression it had already been mentioned in this thread. There are almost always at least two or three threads on battery life, and I get them mixed up.

Most reactions

Latest posts