1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

TIPS AND TRICKS - for those of us who don't know!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by lawhawk, Mar 16, 2011.

1. lawhawk

lawhawk iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Post your tips and tricks here. Remember, many of us are new to iPad so the features/tricks that seem very obvious to you are not obvious to us. So help a brother out.

To start things out, here's what I learned today from "DontUnderstandMyIpad":

• Like Like x 24
  2. j0yful

j0yful iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    i found this out a month ago (after having my ipad for almost a year now :D) i usually have my music turned on while my ipad is on sleep mode. well usually, if i want to access the ipod buttons. i have to press home and slide the bar press home button twice. I DISCOVERED that all i have to do is press the home button twice to access those ipod buttons :D ;)
    • Like Like x 19
  3. Spaarty

Spaarty iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Here's a few that I have found to be quite useful being an iPad Noob myself...... :D

Speed up your typing: Double-tapping the spacebar while typing a message will type a period and then a space.

Make your passcode more secure: iOS defaults to a four-number passcode, but you can turn it off by going to Settings, General, Passcode Lock, Simple Passcode. Now you can use any full keyboard password to lock the iPad. The password also helps to encrypt your mail and attachments on the iPad, so you probably want to make it safer than a four-digit number.

Set the iPad to Erase Data: You can set the iPad to erase all data after ten failed passcode entry attempts by checking the Erase Data option under Settings, General, Passcode Lock.

Show traffic conditions: Open Maps, press the dog-eared page icon in the lower right, and then turn the Traffic overlay on. If your iPad has an Internet connection, Maps will show real-time traffic conditions in the displayed area. Green means traffic is going at the posted speed limit, yellow means traffic is slower than the posted speed limit, and red means traffic is stop-and-go.

Take a screenshot: Press Home and the sleep/wake button simultaneously. The screenshot will automatically appear among your photos.
    • Like Like x 30
  4. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Hold down the sleep key at the told of the iPad and press the home button to take a screenshot which is added to the samera roll.

** Never mind, someone else posted this... ;)
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 12
  5. lawhawk

lawhawk iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Wow! Definitely did not know the screenshot trick! Thanks!
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Dream

Dream iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Triple tap the home button turns everything black/negative.
    • Like Like x 8
  7. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,691 / 0
    Check out this website to learn how to quickly insert punctuation when typing. Instead of tapping the number key, entering the number and then tapping the ABC key, you can just tap/hold/swipe.

The article describes it better than I ever could, so here it is:
    Beginner Tip: How to quickly insert punctuation on iPhone and iPad | TiPb

I've used this tip almost every day. Very handy!

Marilyn
    • Like Like x 25
  8. Blackbelt

Blackbelt iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Thanks for the tips however in the MAP section I see no traffic in lay option. I am connected via WIFI.
    Thanks
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    If an app or ur iPad freezes up or starts acting funny, u can reset/reboot it. U do this by holding the sleep and home button down for at least 5-10 secs and device should reboot to the apple logo and u should be good to go.
    If ur wifi acting up or internet seems slow, go to General settings>Reset>Network Settings Reset. This will clear all saved network settings and should give u a fresh start. It will not cause u to loose ur data from apps or games. This just deals with network/Internet.
    If ur iPad2 really gets frozen, meaning nothing works or it's unresponsive, power down the device. Then hold sleep and home button down for like 30 secs. It will seem like a long time. Then itll reboot to apple logo and hopefully u good again. This is like a really hard reset, a last resort if iPad isn't working ;-)
    • Like Like x 14
  10. dmaul1114

dmaul1114 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Very handy for e-reading programs that don't have a white on black option for reading an night built in.

You have to set that option in the Accessibility menu. Triple click is default set to some other function.
    • Like Like x 6
  11. Spaarty

Spaarty iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    My friend was showing this to me last night on his iPad, so this tip is really new to me as well. I'll have to verify whether he was on 3G or WiFi at the time, as that could possibly be the issue. From what i understand, the WiFI models do not have a GPS receiver, so this might be a 3G option only. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong. thanks :))
  12. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I'll do the honors..lol. Traffic layout can be seen on wifi versions. I have wifi version and it shows me traffic layout if I click the layer option to do so. It might just be acting really funny at the time of your network slowing up some due to congestion. I'd say completely close out the app( not just by pressing home button, but double tapping home button to bring up multitasking bar and delete the maps from there) then relaunch the app. If that dont work, just poower the iPad off for amfew secs then cut back on(also while iPad still on, u can just hold the sleep and home button for 5 secs and it should reboot giving u amfresh start)
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Dream

Dream iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Ahh yes, forgot to add that part :p
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Spaarty

Spaarty iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    +1

Thanks for clarifying.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. zipur

zipur iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    This is a great tread, I hope more folks chime in...
  16. Vulcan

Vulcan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    this is only a tip if you have not read the manual ...
    You can create a sub folder to categorize your apps (for instance a folder called "Productivity") .. to do this drag one of the productivity apps and drop it on another productivity app ... it will create a folder and allow you to pick a name for the folder. Moreover, the folder icon will have very tiny micro representations of the icons within the folder (very cool).
    • Like Like x 8
  17. Vulcan

Vulcan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    An iTunes tip ...

I often watch free video podcasts on iTunes. I found out that you don't have download the videos rather you can have iTunes stream it in original resolution ... very handy.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Vulcan

Vulcan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Never dread a tread that makes knowledge spread.
    • Like Like x 11
  19. Studder

Studder iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I have the new ipad-2, and need help how to put a video from my digital camcorder, to imovie, i tried to transfer it from my imac to the ipad but no luck, i bought the usb adapter, with the sd card adapter too, and it says "device requires too much power" how do i get mp4 video on the ipad, all help will be appreciated :)
    I didnt mention this befor but id like to put the video on imovie app for ipad
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Studder

Studder iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    So it has to be done on the imac using "handbrake" first? , and then transfer it to itunes, to be added to the imovie app on my ipad 2
    • Like Like x 1