What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TIPS AND TRICKS - for those of us who don't know!

lawhawk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Post your tips and tricks here. Remember, many of us are new to iPad so the features/tricks that seem very obvious to you are not obvious to us. So help a brother out.

To start things out, here's what I learned today from "DontUnderstandMyIpad":

DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
The orientation lock is found in the multitaskbar. To access it, press the Home-key twice, then scroll to the left. The button to the left of the audio controls and the hardware switch swap positions. So if you set the hardware switch as a mute key, this button next to the audio controls becomes the orientation lock and vice versa.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i found this out a month ago (after having my ipad for almost a year now :D) i usually have my music turned on while my ipad is on sleep mode. well usually, if i want to access the ipod buttons. i have to press home and slide the bar press home button twice. I DISCOVERED that all i have to do is press the home button twice to access those ipod buttons :D ;)

Spaarty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Post your tips and tricks here. Remember, many of us are new to iPad so the features/tricks that seem very obvious to you are not obvious to us. So help a brother out.

Here's a few that I have found to be quite useful being an iPad Noob myself...... :D

Speed up your typing: Double-tapping the spacebar while typing a message will type a period and then a space.

Make your passcode more secure: iOS defaults to a four-number passcode, but you can turn it off by going to Settings, General, Passcode Lock, Simple Passcode. Now you can use any full keyboard password to lock the iPad. The password also helps to encrypt your mail and attachments on the iPad, so you probably want to make it safer than a four-digit number.

Set the iPad to Erase Data: You can set the iPad to erase all data after ten failed passcode entry attempts by checking the Erase Data option under Settings, General, Passcode Lock.

Show traffic conditions: Open Maps, press the dog-eared page icon in the lower right, and then turn the Traffic overlay on. If your iPad has an Internet connection, Maps will show real-time traffic conditions in the displayed area. Green means traffic is going at the posted speed limit, yellow means traffic is slower than the posted speed limit, and red means traffic is stop-and-go.

Take a screenshot: Press Home and the sleep/wake button simultaneously. The screenshot will automatically appear among your photos.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hold down the sleep key at the told of the iPad and press the home button to take a screenshot which is added to the samera roll.

** Never mind, someone else posted this... ;)

Last edited:
OP
lawhawk

lawhawk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! Definitely did not know the screenshot trick! Thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check out this website to learn how to quickly insert punctuation when typing. Instead of tapping the number key, entering the number and then tapping the ABC key, you can just tap/hold/swipe.

The article describes it better than I ever could, so here it is:
Beginner Tip: How to quickly insert punctuation on iPhone and iPad | TiPb

I've used this tip almost every day. Very handy!

Marilyn

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Here's a few that I have found to be quite useful being an iPad Noob myself...... :D

Speed up your typing: Double-tapping the spacebar while typing a message will type a period and then a space.

Make your passcode more secure: iOS defaults to a four-number passcode, but you can turn it off by going to Settings, General, Passcode Lock, Simple Passcode. Now you can use any full keyboard password to lock the iPad. The password also helps to encrypt your mail and attachments on the iPad, so you probably want to make it safer than a four-digit number.

Set the iPad to Erase Data: You can set the iPad to erase all data after ten failed passcode entry attempts by checking the Erase Data option under Settings, General, Passcode Lock.

Show traffic conditions: Open Maps, press the dog-eared page icon in the lower right, and then turn the Traffic overlay on. If your iPad has an Internet connection, Maps will show real-time traffic conditions in the displayed area. Green means traffic is going at the posted speed limit, yellow means traffic is slower than the posted speed limit, and red means traffic is stop-and-go.

Take a screenshot: Press Home and the sleep/wake button simultaneously. The screenshot will automatically appear among your photos.

Thanks for the tips however in the MAP section I see no traffic in lay option. I am connected via WIFI.
Thanks

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If an app or ur iPad freezes up or starts acting funny, u can reset/reboot it. U do this by holding the sleep and home button down for at least 5-10 secs and device should reboot to the apple logo and u should be good to go.
If ur wifi acting up or internet seems slow, go to General settings>Reset>Network Settings Reset. This will clear all saved network settings and should give u a fresh start. It will not cause u to loose ur data from apps or games. This just deals with network/Internet.
If ur iPad2 really gets frozen, meaning nothing works or it's unresponsive, power down the device. Then hold sleep and home button down for like 30 secs. It will seem like a long time. Then itll reboot to apple logo and hopefully u good again. This is like a really hard reset, a last resort if iPad isn't working ;-)

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Triple tap the home button turns everything black/negative.

Very handy for e-reading programs that don't have a white on black option for reading an night built in.

You have to set that option in the Accessibility menu. Triple click is default set to some other function.

Spaarty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips however in the MAP section I see no traffic in lay option. I am connected via WIFI.
Thanks

My friend was showing this to me last night on his iPad, so this tip is really new to me as well. I'll have to verify whether he was on 3G or WiFi at the time, as that could possibly be the issue. From what i understand, the WiFI models do not have a GPS receiver, so this might be a 3G option only. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong. thanks :))

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

My friend was showing this to me last night on his iPad, so this tip is really new to me as well. I'll have to verify whether he was on 3G or WiFi at the time, as that could possibly be the issue. From what i understand, the WiFI models do not have a GPS receiver, so this might be a 3G option only. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong. thanks :))

I'll do the honors..lol. Traffic layout can be seen on wifi versions. I have wifi version and it shows me traffic layout if I click the layer option to do so. It might just be acting really funny at the time of your network slowing up some due to congestion. I'd say completely close out the app( not just by pressing home button, but double tapping home button to bring up multitasking bar and delete the maps from there) then relaunch the app. If that dont work, just poower the iPad off for amfew secs then cut back on(also while iPad still on, u can just hold the sleep and home button for 5 secs and it should reboot giving u amfresh start)

Dream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Triple tap the home button turns everything black/negative.

Very handy for e-reading programs that don't have a white on black option for reading an night built in.

You have to set that option in the Accessibility menu. Triple click is default set to some other function.

Ahh yes, forgot to add that part :p

Spaarty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

I'll do the honors..lol. Traffic layout can be seen on wifi versions. I have wifi version and it shows me traffic layout if I click the layer option to do so. It might just be acting really funny at the time of your network slowing up some due to congestion. I'd say completely close out the app( not just by pressing home button, but double tapping home button to bring up multitasking bar and delete the maps from there) then relaunch the app. If that dont work, just poower the iPad off for amfew secs then cut back on(also while iPad still on, u can just hold the sleep and home button for 5 secs and it should reboot giving u amfresh start)

+1

Thanks for clarifying.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a great tread, I hope more folks chime in...

Most reactions

Latest posts