What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "Useless Information" Thread

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Isn't Charles next in line anyway??

I'm assuming that's why she will live to be over 100 and not step down ;)

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
zstairlessone said:
Isn't Charles next in line anyway??

I'm assuming that's why she will live to be over 100 and not step down ;)

Yes, he is, and as far as I know the British Constitution doesn't allow her to either abdicate, or name her successor. I was reading about it earlier when I heard this rumor. The succession is set in stone, but the British Parliament can remove a monarch who is deemed unfit to govern. That info is on the Royal Family website.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Yes, he is, and as far as I know the British Constitution doesn't allow her to either abdicate, or name her successor. I was reading about it earlier when I heard this rumor. The succession is set in stone, but the British Parliament can remove a monarch who is deemed unfit to govern. That info is on the Royal Family website.

That is what I understood also, did not know about Parliaments power of removal though. Has it ever been exercised?

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
zstairlessone said:
That is what I understood also, did not know about Parliaments power of removal though. Has it ever been exercised?

No. It was introduced as part of the conditions for the Restoration of the Monarchy, following the Interregnum. James II was invited to re-establish the Monarchy under conditions laid down by Parliament.

One of the other constitutional niceties I'm aware of is that the monarch may not set foot inside the House of Commons, which is why the Members have to enter the House of Lords for the State opening of Parliament.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
No. It was introduced as part of the conditions for the Restoration of the Monarchy, following the Interregnum. James II was invited to re-establish the Monarchy under conditions laid down by Parliament.

One of the other constitutional niceties I'm aware of is that the monarch may not set foot inside the House of Commons, which is why the Members have to enter the House of Lords for the State opening of Parliament.

It has always been my understanding that Elizabeth ll, during her Coronation, swore to carry out the duties of the Queen for as long as she lives. Except for that vow, she could step down in favour of any legal heir to the throne of England she designated.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Roy Rob said:
It has always been my understanding that Elizabeth ll, during her Coronation, swore to carry out the duties of the Queen for as long as she lives. Except for that vow, she could step down in favour of any legal heir to the throne of England she designated.

I don't think she could be forced to carry on, but I'm pretty sure the Succession would favor Charles were she to abdicate.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I don't think she could be forced to carry on, but I'm pretty sure the Succession would favor Charles were she to abdicate.

The vow was optional and her choice to make it. That's why I don't think she will abdicate unless serious health issues force her to.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Succession to the throne us governed both by common law and by the 1701 Act of Settlement.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The brain that Broca used to determine the brain's speech center, Broca's area, belongs to Louis Victor Leborgne born in Moret, France in 1809. His identity had been unknown for 150 years.

Leborgne suffered from a lifetime of epilepsy which damaged the speech center of his brain rendering him only capable of saying one word, "tan." He came from an educated family and his father was a teacher.

He met Broca shortly before he died.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One in four Americans has appeared on TV.

That's high. I was on TV. The Ask Asa show on fox in NY. During 911 my Sprint phone bill had charges of over 5,000 that I didn't make from all of these different countries and of course they wanted me to pay so I submitted an email to them and got the charges removed.

Miles has been in TV too. The Spanish Channel Univision. They were mocking Latin celebrities with doggie lookalikes. It was very funny lol.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions

Latest posts