What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "Useless Information" Thread

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought he was from Northern Italy (close to the border) - oops

South Tyrol is a part of Northern Italy, but the people there are mostly talking German, and would like to become Austrians again. (In exchange for Vienna. :D)

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are more collect calls on Father's Day than any other day of the year.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The volume of the Earth's moon is the same as the volume of the Pacific Ocean.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Herbal tea contains no tea.

Tea defined: drink made by infusion: a drink made by the infusion of plant leaves or flowers."

Tea does not have to contain tea; it is a process. Like the "tea" my grandfather made from nicotine to kill bugs.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bullet proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers, and laser printers were all invented by women.

And Bette Nesmith (Graham) invented Liquid Paper. Her some was Mikle Nesmith of the Monkeys.

Lots of amazing women inventors.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tea defined: drink made by infusion: a drink made by the infusion of plant leaves or flowers."

Tea does not have to contain tea; it is a process. Like the "tea" my grandfather made from nicotine to kill bugs.

I'm afraid not, Bob. If it contains no tea leaves, it is by strict definition, not tea, but an infusion. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea

Besides whatever definition you chose, the fact remains that herbal tea contains no tea leaves, which was the point of my post.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The worlds oldest piece of chewing gum is 9000 years old.

Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people. (I knew there has to be an advantage being right handed. :))

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The slogan on New Hampshire license plates is "Live Free or Die." These license plates are manufactured by prisoners in the state prison in Concord.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The worlds oldest piece of chewing gum is 9000 years old.

Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people. (I knew there has to be an advantage being right handed. :))

If you are ambidextrous you aren't in your right mind or your wrong (left) mind, therefore you must be out of your mind, at least that's what I'm always being told

Reaction score
CRT TVs use less power than a flat screen, Why? Because CRTs are better! A mate told me her electric bill was $25 more when she got the flat screen

A Commodore 64 a day keeps the Apple II away!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CRT TVs use less power than a flat screen, Why? Because CRTs are better! A mate told me her electric bill was $25 more when she got the flat screen

I'd suggest it might be another reason, CRT's are not energy efficient, check this chart out.......

image-3250504915.jpg

It's an excerpt from this web site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CRT,_LCD,_Plasma,_and_OLED

The Archangel

Reaction score
They are at my house, somehow my CRTs don't generate much heat

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are at my house, somehow my CRTs don't generate much heat

There is some truth in your statement but it's a kind of misconceived truth. Like for like CRT is much less energy efficient so a 28" LCD will be more energy efficient than a 28" CRT however, what generally happens is that when folks go from CRT to LCD they increase the size of the screen and at some point a the increase in screen size will outweigh the energy saving. So if you had a 28" CRT and now have a 50" LCD then it's quite possible the LCD will use more energy but that's not really a "like for like" comparison.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts