The Unofficial iPad Amateur Radio Club

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by twerppoet, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Wing rider

Wing rider
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm not even sure what 2 meter or 70 cm repeaters are still alive in this part of PA. There used to be many and some were linked so that you could work the linked system all the way to Washington DC. Looks like it's time to get the HT out of the closet and find out.

I had a friend who was also a HAM and he lived in the Seattle area. We would occasionally "chat" via a Russian satellite named RS12 using our HF rigs in split mode. We had to use software to predict the coverage path of the satellite and at best we got maybe a minutes worth of talk time but it was neat-o.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Even if you dont' have repeaters (highly unlikely) check out the EchoLink stuff. You and your friend could chat as long as you like on EchoLink, with or without a repeater on either end. More fun with at least one repeater, of course.

The RepaterBook app is free, and uses location services. If you see anything with in 10 to 15 miles, you can probably use it with an HT.

3. Wing rider

Wing rider
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I remember Echo Link and will check it out, thanks for the reminder. I also fiddled a bit with packet radio years ago but never got into it. I used to really enjoy building improvised antennas including a 2 mtr quad that I built from plans in QRZ magazine.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Just left the VE (Volunteer Coordinator) test session with a CSCE (Certificate of Succesful Completion of Exam). I've jumped from Technician to Amateur Extra.

yay me

Didn't really expect to pass the Amateur Extra test. Got lucky.

Not that I have any toys that will let me exercise my new privileges.

5. Wing rider

Wing rider
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Congratulations! Not an easy test by any stretch and now the entire band plan is available to you. Nicely done.

When I finally passed my Extra class requirements the 20 wpm code test was still in effect and I struggled with it but got it done on attempt #3. It was also the last time I ever copied code at that speed.

Again, congratulations on passing the test and now it's time to frame that guy!

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. If the code was still a requirment I'd have probably been a Tech forever.

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I've discovered the matrix.

IMG_2467.jpg

8. RudyN

RudyN
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I got my Novice license in 1989. Then I got on the air and studied some more and had my Extra by 1991. It was fun copying code at 20wpm! I have dropped down to about 15wpm now, but it is still fun.

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I've been playing with a SDR (Software Defined Radio) for a couple weeks now. I bought an SDRPlay RSP Pro, a Wonder-Wand HF tuner/antenna, an MFJ-9232 loop antenna tunner, and lots of other odds and ends.

Turns out that like most other radios, the antenna is the most imporant part, epspecially on HF. I've experimented with a couple, and so far a loop conected to either the Wonder-Wand or MFJ-9232 has worked best. So, I decided I wanted something portable, easy to take on the road and set up anywhere.

I built this. It kind of portable, in that it only takes me about 15 minutes to tear it down or set it up, and I it will find in the back seat of hte car when in pieces.

111596E1-1EB1-4208-98D5-51659A20B3D2.jpeg

B342D9A4-CB32-4131-997B-4846BFE40362.jpeg

10. Wing rider

Wing rider
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You built a single element quad!