What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Truth about the Ipad

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off I'm a techie / gamer and I just bought my first apple product ever, and this is not buy accident. But my gf wanted one and since all other tablets are not in ipad league yet ipad is cleary the best choice. On the otherhand for most this is an expensive toy and nothing more.

I would never suggest to anybody to ever get a 3G version as att will rape you and you will have a data cap which defeats the purpose. 32GB and 64GB only exist because apple wants to further rape their customers because usb micro sd expansion does exist to them. Seriously people 16GB is more than enough I have over 150 apps and room for some movies and music.

Besides apps and books you don't even need to put that much music on it as your can stream pandora, from your house, even dropbox hosting, etc. The reason I say only 16GB is because you can get an ipad these days for 400 and even that is still to much I think. A year from now tablets are going to be really cheap once the acer's of the world start coming out.

If you travel alot, have a job with alot of free time, anything where you are bored for even an hour then the ipad is for you. Second you must like and know how to use a computer or else your not going to have fun. Yes the ipad is a big iphone but honestly it is so much more as size make things alot better and sometimes worse. Worse because reading I don't find enjoyable on it, it's like reading a book on a computer just can't do it.

Ipad is not a computer so please all you people who want to throw away your laptops for an Ipad just stop it. That's like saying instead of driving to work I rather walk or ride a bike. I can't think of anything the ipad does better than any computer. This is a device to do stuff on when you don't or are not around a computer. Like very simple stuff. Hooking up a keyboard to the ipad is just silly and never do this in public as people will make fun of you.

I have to add this also but if you are torn between this is a laptop you need to get a laptop really, get a macbook air or even the new touchscreen dell insprion mini it's a tablet and a netbook pretty neat. And still cost less than an ipad because you get way more.

OK anyway the ipad review and I am being as honest as I can. The ipad is beautiful device and just feels so good in your hand. Design is perfect in my book. It will have an affect on your wrist over time but it's minor, start working out or something. ios 4.2 is great and I got my ipad the day it came out so before I really don't know what people where doing besides jailbreaking, using one app at a time is just nuts to me.

Ipad is very simple or tries to be in options for what you can do. Most people can just pick it up and use and enjoy. But mainly the ipad is for gaming (yes I hate to say it too) browsing web, email, music, video, etc. IOS is like any other system it does crash sometimes or should I say apps crash so that could be a dev problem which is likely.

Apple has tons of apps for it's devices but at the moment there are not as many ipad apps as I would like you will find many iphone apps that work but look like crap, like really bad (buying a iphone app for ipad is a waste of money) Most devs develop for iphone ipad first so you will have to best choices. Problem is trying them all out or even discovering them. I follow devices everyday and read and watch and search for the best apps and it is very time consuming. Even for me with like a 150 apps installed it's still hard to fine more.

Ipad is great but honestly need a new toy like I did it really is not going to make anything in your life easier. If you have smartphone it probably can do all that you need. It's great really it is and I am someone who honestly doesn't want to like the ipad. If you use a computer alot it does feel good to not have to use a big ole computer sometimes. But you start to feel like man I have to open up an app to do every single thing, it's like apple is going backwards in computers because you will never forget that is is a smartphone os and it's not really tailored for a tablet. Yeah it works and it works well but that doesn't mean people would not like to ditch a laptop and have something really to make them do it. If you use an ipad like a laptop then good luck with that.

What sucks about the ipad:

No Flash, yeah it's kinda a big deal if you like to watch anything for free. Why are people buying tv shows that air for free I don't know. Apple didn't do flash because they want people to buy stuff that's all. Jobs will lie to get your cash so don't believe this HTML 5 stuff it's a long time before the web evovles.

The Price is too damn high, so your gonna tell me an iphone and ipad cost the same price brand new, something not right there. Apple is known to overprice but who can blame them.

No Ports, hdmi , usb , SD micro, once again apple wants to make it hard for you to put your stuff on it or use it in anyway that might make you not spend money on itunes or buy their apple tv

Itunes, enough said if you like then your all set it can be a plus.

Things I love with the ipad.

Battery, 10 hours plus is amazing
Best Apps Best games, everybody wants to make apps for apple first
UI, apple has such good taste when it comes to design.
Warranty for the first year
Jailbreaking, so many options get the most out of your ipad.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A very odd post.

Firstly, I have a 64GB model and I have more than half of it filled....so no higher than 16 is not to "rape" you. It is if you would like to store more photos, songs and apps.

Secondly, the iPad certainly is a computer in every respect (what qualifies being a "computer" to you).

As for whether to have it or a laptop...I don't own a laptop nor do I intend on ever buying another since I have my iPad...I have a fast internet connection and a powerful computer at home that I can log into and use anytime I want when I'm out.

Guess what...today I watched several shows on hulu for free....by logging into my home computer and streaming it.

iPad is not a replacement for a desktop...it is a companion to it!

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't used my laptop in months..

AT&T rape you? Maybe get a better job and $25 won't be missed...?

Now I'm known for being blunt but come off as rude. Don't take it personally, just the truth - you come off thinking you know best, or are bright. Even a little bit of a know-it-all. However sit and think about this..

iPad is a product. You must buy it. Now I'm not sure about you, but I buy things I want or need. You complain about a lot, but why? You spent your money, not my problem. You don't like it, well I don't think any of us care.

So anywho, iPad is a product you need to buy (if a gift, you could give away for free with no loss on your end). Do you buy things you don't need? You buy things that you can use or fit your lifestyle.

One thing I found quite funny was your "life easier" part. The iPad made my life easier.. At work and at home. I must have luck! Off to the store for a lotto ticket! Lol

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My ipads yes two in house have replaced my Mac book the only time I use the Mac book is to update playlists and back up usually about once a month my iPhone also is in the same class because it is a mobile computer when I donot have the ipad with me each are synchronized for calendar and emails so no confusion with out of date mail

We are doing more on these divides than we ever did on any computer we have owned

Every thing from streaming movies listening to music surfing the net face book viewing photos doing budgets writing letters you name it plus invoicing customers for support researching products on eBay and remote log into my clients site. I read newspapers from around the world every morning not to mention reading comics that I have not seen in 20years. Finally I love the games that are available. For me it is in every way a computer and the most versatile instant on mobile device I have ever used I look forward to competitors and happy to see what they offer but I know by this time next year apple will again have yet another updated and more advanced ipad than the current model

OP
F

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A very odd post.

Firstly, I have a 64GB model and I have more than half of it filled....so no higher than 16 is not to "rape" you. It is if you would like to store more photos, songs and apps.

Secondly, the iPad certainly is a computer in every respect (what qualifies being a "computer" to you).

As for whether to have it or a laptop...I don't own a laptop nor do I intend on ever buying another since I have my iPad...I have a fast internet connection and a powerful computer at home that I can log into and use anytime I want when I'm out.

Guess what...today I watched several shows on hulu for free....by logging into my home computer and streaming it.

iPad is not a replacement for a desktop...it is a companion to it!

I wrote this review this way for people who are unsure about if they need and which ipad to get. I have terabytes of movies and songs etc and I download 24/7 for years now. So a 16GB or even a 256GB ipad would not make a difference, in my opinion apple is raping because ssd's don't cost that much at 64GB to 300 dollars more. Anyway as long as you have internet and unlimited internet anything can be done.

I have sprint unlimited data and I tether for free, so why would anybody want to pay att 25 a month for a 2GB cap. I know apple customers are one of a kind where all prices are justified by jobs. I was even amazed people thought 500 dollars was low. Also did you type your post on your ipad, was that fun is typing with your fingernails fun. I would hope when most people use a computer they would want what is best for their needs.

If you already have one computer then getting an ipad is not a big deal but to even compare it to a 200 netbook is an insult. The ipad is a computer but so is my blackberry, my calcuator, my xbox. When I go into an office and peolpe are doing business on an ipad then I'll change my mind. You guys must like the hardest and expensive way to get things done.

Hedonist222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying i am not an apple fan boy, in fact i am no a fan boy at all. I have gone from sony ericsson symbian to various HTC windows 6/6.5 to HTC android. I used an Apple product for the first time (lool) in June when i bought a 16gb ipad. Then 2 weeks ago i bought an iPhone 4. So as you can see i am no a fan boy of anything. I used Sony for a long time and recently switched to Samsung because i feel they're putting out better products at better prices. So my opinion in this matter is not bias whatsoever. In fact if a new OS comes out that's better than Apple or if Android gets it together and starts bettering themselves i can easily see myself going back.

First off I'm a techie / gamer and I just bought my first apple product ever, and this is not buy accident. But my gf wanted one and since all other tablets are not in ipad league yet ipad is cleary the best choice. On the otherhand for most this is an expensive toy and nothing more.*

at first it may seem like a toy but its not. I got it to compliment my HTC desire ( at the time ) and my desktop. Turned out it took over and i barely used my desktop and HTC desire at home. Now, 5 months later i have barely used my desktop because, apparently my computing needs do not require a desktop/laptop anymore. *Dnt play games anymore and the ipad suffices For my online browsing/researching and news reading.

I would never suggest to anybody to ever get a 3G version as att will rape you and you will have a data cap which defeats the purpose.

So you assume that the Internet or the world is the US only? There are more Apple users outside America for your info. I have an "unlimited" data plan ( capped at one hundred GB ) for about $100 per month. Pricey? A little. *Worth it? For sure.
Wifey has a 5GB plan for about $75.*

It's amazing , just amazing having access to the Internet on a competent device literally everywhere. *

32GB and 64GB only exist because apple wants to further rape their customers because usb micro sd expansion does exist to them. Seriously people 16GB is more than enough I have over 150 apps and room for some movies and music.*

I agree that a lack of USB is a major downfall but hey, you went into it knowing this. If you don't like it, get a galaxy tab or something. It sucks though, i still agree.
Bt e 32 and 64 are useful. I initially bought a 16gb ipad because i thought it would be enough. *I did not plan on putting music or movies on my ipad, just apps. Turns out i could only put about 100 apps on because i was stuck at 880mb remaining for a long time. That'd when the wifi died on my ipad, turned out i could not get it fixed/replaced for a few months ( long story, read my explanation in my other thread) so i decided to give the broken wifi ipad but with 3G to my wife and get myself a 32gb 3G wifi ipad. So your claim about "over 150 apps and room for some movies and music" sounds far fetched. Ca we see a screen shot? Go to Settings --> General ---> About and take a screen shot for us please. Sure maybe you have a collection of tiny little apps and the space remaining is enough for perhaps a 32 bitrate mp3 and a low definition trailer. Maybe.*

If you travel alot, have a job with alot of free time, anything where you are bored for even an hour then the ipad is for you.*
Very true. I've used it while sitting in traffic ( heavy bumper to bumper traffic ).*

Second you must like and know how to use a computer or else your not going to have fun.

I don't know how to understand is statement ?!?!
My mother in law has never , never touched a computer and recently learned how to briskly use my wife's ipad to play children's games with my kids recently.

Yes the ipad is a big iphone but honestly it is so much more as size make things alot better and sometimes worse. Worse because reading I don't find enjoyable on it, it's like reading a book on a computer just can't do it.

Moot point. *Size is subjective. It's perfect for me but i wi sh the bezel was a little thinner so the screen would be a bit bigger like 10.7" not 9.7".*

Ipad is not a computer so please all you people who want to throw away your laptops for an Ipad just stop it. That's like saying instead of driving to work I rather walk or ride a bike. I can't think of anything the ipad does better than any computer.

I agree its not a replacement but more of a complimentary item. It compliments my iPhone 4 and desktop well.*

This is a device to do stuff on when you don't or are not around a computer. Like very simple stuff.

My computer at home is always next to me but i prefer to lounge around on the sofa or bed and use the Internet like browse the Internet, read forums, read my rss reader, play games, check movies and so on. It has almost replaced my desktop but that's subjective again. *I don't use Photoshop or play large online games, so for my wife and i the ipad almost replaces our laptop and desktop respectively. *

Hooking up a keyboard to the ipad is just silly and never do this in public as people will make fun of you.

moot point again. Very subjective. Society and standard *of living and location dictate whats "silly".*

OK anyway the ipad review and I am being as honest as I can.

No you're being biased and ill informed.*

I really don't know what people where doing besides jailbreaking, using one app at a time is just nuts to me.

Jail broke my the next day so i could multitask. I used circuitous.*

But mainly the ipad is for gaming (yes I hate to say it too) browsing web, email, music, video, *

True, but also thats pretty much what a desktop or laptop is for too for the general masses lol.*

The Price is too damn high, so your gonna tell me an iphone and ipad cost the same price brand new, something not right there. Apple is known to overprice but who can blame them.

Price, like size is subjective. I find it relatively reasonable.*
No Ports, hdmi , usb , SD micro, once again apple wants to make it hard for you to put your stuff on it or use it in anyway that might make you not spend money on itunes or buy their apple tv

Agree, thats terrible but you went into it knowing t his. If you don't like it get something else.*

OP
F

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipads yes two in house have replaced my Mac book the only time I use the Mac book is to update playlists and back up usually about once a month my iPhone also is in the same class because it is a mobile computer when I donot have the ipad with me each are synchronized for calendar and emails so no confusion with out of date mail

We are doing more on these divides than we ever did on any computer we have owned

Every thing from streaming movies listening to music surfing the net face book viewing photos doing budgets writing letters you name it plus invoicing customers for support researching products on eBay and remote log into my clients site. I read newspapers from around the world every morning not to mention reading comics that I have not seen in 20years. Finally I love the games that are available. For me it is in every way a computer and the most versatile instant on mobile device I have ever used I look forward to competitors and happy to see what they offer but I know by this time next year apple will again have yet another updated and more advanced ipad than the current model

Yeah that's great it's pretty much what we all do with out ipads, but I use a computer to make money and do work something that an ipad will never be able to do. You pretty much said it already but ipad is a really cool toy or gadget whatever you call it for consumption not creation. But it is very limited as you have one tiny screen, some kind of weird multi-tasking, the list goes on. How bout you make me a list of what the ipad can do and I'll make a list triple of what it can't do. To even compare needing a laptop or this is a question that some do need to answer but it's only because they really don't need a computer in the first place. If you need a computer you will know it.

Instead of people think ios as the next form of computer why don't we think about a better tablet like an osx one. Starting with a mobile phone os and working up just seems backwards. And honestly what makes the ipad so great really is the apps, any platform could have these apps and more just needs the support.

OP
F

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying i am not an apple fan boy, in fact i am no a fan boy at all. I have gone from sony ericsson symbian to various HTC windows 6/6.5 to HTC android. I used an Apple product for the first time (lool) in June when i bought a 16gb ipad. Then 2 weeks ago i bought an iPhone 4. So as you can see i am no a fan boy of anything. I used Sony for a long time and recently switched to Samsung because i feel they're putting out better products at better prices. So my opinion in this matter is not bias whatsoever. In fact if a new OS comes out that's better than Apple or if Android gets it together and starts bettering themselves i can easily see myself going back.

First off I'm a techie / gamer and I just bought my first apple product ever, and this is not buy accident. But my gf wanted one and since all other tablets are not in ipad league yet ipad is cleary the best choice. On the otherhand for most this is an expensive toy and nothing more.*

at first it may seem like a toy but its not. I got it to compliment my HTC desire ( at the time ) and my desktop. Turned out it took over and i barely used my desktop and HTC desire at home. Now, 5 months later i have barely used my desktop because, apparently my computing needs do not require a desktop/laptop anymore. *Dnt play games anymore and the ipad suffices For my online browsing/researching and news reading.

++++Toy, gadget, semi computer call it whatever you want but all you doing is really basic things on it. For one look at the apps and how small short they are. IOS is starting to feel like it has to have to many apps to do each thing. App for this app for that and if there is no app your probably not doing it on the ipad. If your not gaming on the ipad I think it really is a waste of money because safari is not that great for browsing++++

I would never suggest to anybody to ever get a 3G version as att will rape you and you will have a data cap which defeats the purpose.

So you assume that the Internet or the world is the US only? There are more Apple users outside America for your info. I have an "unlimited" data plan ( capped at one hundred GB ) for about $100 per month. Pricey? A little. *Worth it? For sure.
Wifey has a 5GB plan for about $75.*

It's amazing , just amazing having access to the Internet on a competent device literally everywhere. *

++++If you have a smartphone you should be able to tether it I don't know about the whole world but there is most times a way out of paying twice for data.+++++++

I agree that a lack of USB is a major downfall but hey, you went into it knowing this. If you don't like it, get a galaxy tab or something. It sucks though, i still agree.
Bt e 32 and 64 are useful. I initially bought a 16gb ipad because i thought it would be enough. *I did not plan on putting music or movies on my ipad, just apps. Turns out i could only put about 100 apps on because i was stuck at 880mb remaining for a long time. That'd when the wifi died on my ipad, turned out i could not get it fixed/replaced for a few months ( long story, read my explanation in my other thread) so i decided to give the broken wifi ipad but with 3G to my wife and get myself a 32gb 3G wifi ipad. So your claim about "over 150 apps and room for some movies and music" sounds far fetched. Ca we see a screen shot? Go to Settings --> General ---> About and take a screen shot for us please. Sure maybe you have a collection of tiny little apps and the space remaining is enough for perhaps a 32 bitrate mp3 and a low definition trailer. Maybe.*

+++++Just say it's convienent and you don't want to constantly manage or stream your content, 64GB is really not alot so I don't even understand why even try. Stream it, remote into your pc or whatever, I'll save that 300 and buy another smartphone or ipod touch. I'm reaching 150 apps mostly games photos music and still have 6 gb left. If you backup your Ipad I can't see the issue with syncing once a week or more++++++++

Very true. I've used it while sitting in traffic ( heavy bumper to bumper traffic ).*

I don't know how to understand is statement ?!?!
My mother in law has never , never touched a computer and recently learned how to briskly use my wife's ipad to play children's games with my kids recently.

++++++What I mean is that alot of people are not computer savy and i have had clients all the time use the ipad the one they own and they can only do the basic things, like for example they use the browser but have no idea that they can have multiple pages or now even copy text things like that. I say this because to me to get the most out of this 500 dollars I would think you would want to use it for everything it can do well.

Second apps, alot of people don't even know what the good apps are or how to find them, its even hard for me because there are so many and many of them crap. Yeah anybody can own an ipad but it doesn't mean there doing much with it. With a netbook with windows or mac I think overall they will get more done. Ipad and knowing apple you have to do or install all this crap just to do simple things because apple doesn't give you the option.

Moot point. *Size is subjective. It's perfect for me but i wi sh the bezel was a little thinner so the screen would be a bit bigger like 10.7" not 9.7".*

+++Size is fine I honestly wish it was bigger, I have big hands and I like to type fast because I can, so when I'm typing with my fingers I dont even want to type at all. My blackberry I can out type and ipad by a landslide. Hopefully Apple once again lets us install swype for a keyboard as to me that is the only hope for touchscreen devices.++++

I agree its not a replacement but more of a complimentary item. It compliments my iPhone 4 and desktop well.*

My computer at home is always next to me but i prefer to lounge around on the sofa or bed and use the Internet like browse the Internet, read forums, read my rss reader, play games, check movies and so on. It has almost replaced my desktop but that's subjective again. *I don't use Photoshop or play large online games, so for my wife and i the ipad almost replaces our laptop and desktop respectively. *

++++Yeah I'm the same way but honestly I have a little acer revo as my htpc and browsing on 10 inchs compared to like 52 is a big deal, ipad is awarkward to get positioned right becauase it's basically a sheet of glass. Now if I was out traveling then ipad rules in that domain. ++++++

moot point again. Very subjective. Society and standard *of living and location dictate whats "silly".*

No you're being biased and ill informed.*

++++++I am not ill informed because owning an ipad yourself it's not like I'm making this stuff up, I have spent quite some time with this in the past week. What I said in my review is what I tell people who ask me the truth. Ipad can do many things well but at the same time so can alot of other devices like my laptop. +++++++++

Jail broke my the next day so i could multitask. I used circuitous.*

True, but also thats pretty much what a desktop or laptop is for too for the general masses lol.*

Price, like size is subjective. I find it relatively reasonable.*

+++Compared to what, it cost apple 250 or less to make it. And an iphone which is like 1/4 the size cost the same price or more brand new without a contract wow. Sounds like your not using reason.

Agree, thats terrible but you went into it knowing t his. If you don't like it get something else.*

++++It's really terrible becasue apple does it because most of their customers will still buy it, will see how long that lasts seeing how every other tablet has all of the above and still find some way to cost less. To me this alone should kill all the hopes of people wanting this to be a computer+++++

Hey I typed my comments under urs it's late and was easy. I put +++++ where I typed. Anyway to sum it up yes ipad is a big iphone that is also like a smart phone. You browse the web check email play games do alot of basic simple stuff. Just look at the app store where are all the major deep apps that have multiple functions, most are just one trick ponies. I can do all these on my blackberry not as fun but it can get done doesn't mean if blackberry playbook does the same thing it's a computer.

There are so many things I can think of, just at my job alone that the ipad cannot do, not one single employee out of 150 could use an ipad for more than to show a clients some quick half ass presentation. I know the ipad is cool but lets not get ahead of ourselves it's a tablet that entertains us, a pc or mac u use to get stuff done ie. make money.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lmao, and I quote: "but I use a computer to make money and do work something that an ipad will never be able to do."

I use my iPad for work all the time. I can't remember the last time I used my company provided desktop or laptop... I actually do more with my iPad than the desktop or laptop. Pretty soon I should be getting my mount for my company truck to make greater use of the iPad.

Look, you need to learn that like a desktop or laptop, an iPad is a tool to use. Now maybe your job doesn't allow you to use an iPad. But that doesn't mean that's the same for everyone else. You need to quit trying to voice your thoughts in ways that focus around you.

One last thing.. You touched the subject again about AT&T service.... Please help me out here. I bought an iPad awhile ago. After AT&T capped data to 2gb per month. Now how am I to get unlimited data to my pad? All carriers have caps now.. I had a sprint mifi with a 5gb for double the price I pay now. But if you can tell me a way I can get a better plan than AT&T with using only the items I carry now, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad completely replaced my notebook for school. I can now have most of my school books on my iPad, take all my notes, and record voice notes as well. Yes, I could have done all that with a laptop, but the touch interface makes it easier and I've actually become accustomed to typing on the touch screen and I like it. Also, I'm lucky to get three hours of life from my laptop before it needs to be charged, and then I have to have a cable running across the classroom to the plug, which people trip over. No, I'm not going to sit in the corner by the plug, I learn best by sitting front and center.

So, while the iPad might not be for you, it does actually work for some people.

Now I'm not defending the limitations of the iPad whatsoever, but it filled a void that made things much more simple for me.

I'm not going to buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab, it's not up to the standards of the iPad as far as smoothness and interface goes, but I will be buying an Android tablet in the next few months, probably the Notion Ink Adam, but I might wait for the Acer tablets since they are higher resolution and should be running Gingerbread.

I bought the iPad because there was nothing else out at the time in tablet form that was better. Now (soon) there is, so I'm jumping ship.

gdawe5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be waiting for Version 2, which knowing Apple will be out in a few months...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts