What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Review

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I`ve had an iPad for a few months now and I`ll be buying a 200.00 netbook to replace my overhyped iPad this week.

Here`s why..

1; IPad can`t stand alone.
The fact that it needs the support of another computer to even boot up at first start up is a big disadvantage.
2;Lack of a file manager.
This is a deal breaker, I can create files (sometimes) I can view files,(sometimes) I can even save files but I can`t manipulate them.
I can`t put them where I want when I want without additional apps to do so.
3;Can`t print
Again, must purchase additional apps to do the most basic of computer tasks.
4;Can`t attach a file in e-mail. WTF?
I cannot think of a more simplistic basic computer task than attaching a file to an e-mail yet it can`t be done on this machine.
This is simply stupid.
5;Ipad "Photos" app.
Need I say any more?
Oh wait! I can buy YET ANOTHER APP TO DO THAT!
6;File Transfer;
No simple way to get a file from another computer onto the iPad.
Put a USB port on the damn thing already…JESUS!!

In producing a machine that makes these most basic simplistic computer tasks so difficult if even possible to accomplish Apple has left itself open to get it`s ass kicked by the first competitor to make these basic abilities standard and intuitive on whatever tablet product they put out.
It will be an immediately superior machine.

Yes, I know Apple has promised some of these abilities will be available on the next generation.
Why?
Why put out an obviously inferior machine when you know you`re putting out a poor unproductive product.

The games are cool and it`s not a shabby e-reader.

That`s not worth $500.00 bucks to me.

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I`ve had an iPad for a few months now and I`ll be buying a 200.00 netbook to replace my overhyped iPad this week.

Here`s why..

The fact that it needs the support of another computer to even boot up at first start up is a big disadvantage.
This is a deal breaker, I can create files (sometimes) I can view files,(sometimes) I can even save files but I can`t manipulate them.
3;Can`t print
I cannot think of a more simplistic basic computer task than attaching a file to an e-mail yet it can`t be done on this machine.
This is simply stupid.
5;Ipad "Photos" app.
Need I say any more?
6;File Transfer;

In producing a machine that makes these most basic simplistic computer tasks so difficult if even possible to accomplish Apple has left itself open to get it`s ass kicked by the first competitor to make these basic abilities standard and intuitive on whatever tablet product they put out.

Yes, I know Apple has promised some of these abilities will be available on the next generation.
Why?
Why put out an obviously inferior machine when you know you`re putting out a poor unproductive product.

I shouldn't even reply to you because it seems like you are being negative just to be negative but whatever.

I guess that is the reason that I jailbroke my iPad. There are solutions to pretty much everything that you are mentioning some requiring jailbreaking. I don't know what apps you are using but I sync my google docs account with docs to go and I attach those documents to emails all the time. The other main app I use for some of the things you described is ifile. That is a file browser that allows you to transfer apps to and from the iPad. If you get the USB connection kit you can do it through that. I personally love my ipad as I am sure many of the people on an iPad forum do. If you want a netbook get a NetBook but I almost never use my laptop since getting my iPad. Just my two cents.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like you don't know what you're doing lol

<---own a pc, Mac, iPad, iPhone, blackberry..

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would think the iPad gives up features for features..

It's size is a selling point. But you gotta give.. And for a portable device for data input and movie watcher on long plane rides, there you go.

Put it this way.. Why would you buy a pickup when your lifestyle doesn't require one? Whybuy an iPad if you don't need one?

Do you research what cellphone you're getting next? Car you're buying? I'm sure you bought your iPad after reading up on it.. So why so upset?

Lol

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Here`s why..

3;Can`t print
This is simply stupid.
5;Ipad "Photos" app.
Need I say any more?
6;File Transfer;

Why?

the op has a point. iPad is crippled and the end user has to make lots of research to make it work as a net book replacement. And I got mine working properly without jail breaking but I can understand how people may loose patience.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Here`s why..

3;Can`t print
This is simply stupid.
5;Ipad "Photos" app.
Need I say any more?
6;File Transfer;

Why?

the op has a point. iPad is crippled and the end user has to make lots of research to make it work as a net book replacement. And I got mine working properly without jail breaking but I can understand how people may loose patience.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"Sounds like you don't know what you're doing lol"

Agreed. Nothing to see here. Please move on.

OP
Kingsmuse

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple fanboi replies aside does anyone have anything to say that actually counters what I`m saying?

You know..something with substance?

Why must one re-invent the wheel to move forward?

Why must I re-learn the most basic of computer tasks for this one single piece of hardware?

Why the hell can`t I attach a file to an e-mail without having to download yet another app?

Why is Apples most "revolutionary" piece of hardware less efficient than a $200.00 piece of crap e-book?

I`ve numbered my complaints to make it easier for you to counter them.

I was actually hoping you would as then I might learn something.

Anything?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(Emphasis added by me)
If this is the assumption under which the OP bought his iPad, of course he is disappointed! NO ONE ever said the iPad was a "net book replacement". NO ONE ever said it would have the same functionality as a full-fledged laptop or net book. If someone told you these things, THEY LIED TO YOU!

So if you are going to be upset with someone because the iPad is not what you think it should be or what someone told you it should be, be upset with the person that misled you, NOT with Apple! The iPads specifications are well documented on their website. Nothing about it is a secret.

If you bought an iPad without doing any research, than shame on you! If you did do even the tiniest bit of research and bought the iPad anyway, then you should be upset with the person who held a gun to your head and made you pay $500 for something you did not want!

So my question to the OP is... since you are so upset over the fact that the iPad is so "crippled" in its capabilites, what was it about the iPad that made you say, "Wow! I gotta get me one of those!" ?

Last edited:

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I have to agree with 1991-C4. I bought mine to be a couch surfing machine as well as something to keep me occupied during my morning and afternoon commutes - read some books, listen to music, watch movies, surf/email. I never expected it to be a full computer or netbook replacement.

I am still using the original iOS 3.2.2 that came on it when I got it, and with some help from both this site and some of my own searching, I have pretty much made it a netbook replacement. I am waiting for iOS 4 before I get something to do actual documents (excel/word) as I don't have a huge demand for it right now. Besides, with Google Docs opening up in the near future to allow editing, wont even have to buy an app.

I was originally looking at an eBook reader (Kindle or Nook) and think this is a much better offering than any of those.

OP
Kingsmuse

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if you are going to be upset with someone because the iPad is not what you think it should be or what someone told you it should be, be upset with the person that misled you, NOT with Apple! The iPads specifications are well documented on their website. Nothing about it is a secret.

Perhaps, perhaps not.

When you purchase a car you check many things and research it`s capabilities.
Even take it for a test drive.
You buy it and are pretty damn happy with your cool new vehicle until the first time you pull into a gas station to top it off because it`s running low only to find out…..there`s no gas cap.
There`s no way to get fuel into the vehicle.
Did you think to check for a gas cap in all that research and test driving?
No you didn`t.
Why?
Because every car you ever drove had a gas cap because having a gas cap makes sense and you just took for granted there would be a gas cap.
A gas cap is necessary, without it the vehicle is all but worthless.
Bummer.

This analogy works well with numerous problems with the iPad.
E-Mail for one.
I researched and discovered I could e-mail with the iPad.
It`s true I never specifically checked whether or not I could attach and send a file through e-mail with the iPad.
Why would I?
Every e-mail software I`ve ever used had this ability, it never occurred to me Apple would "move backwards" 25 years in e-mail technology on purpose.
Without the ability to transfer files iPad e-mail is all but worthless especially since the ability to move files to and from the iPad is so limited to begin with.
My bad.

So my question to the OP is... since you are so upset over the fact that the iPad is so "crippled" in its capabilites, what was it about the iPad that made you say, "Wow! I gotta get me one of those!" ?

I took for granted the same elegant intuitive technology I have grown used to from Apple products would be present in their most "Revolutionary" product yet.
I was wrong.
Again, my bad.

Now I have a question.

What can the iPad do that a Net Book can`t?

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple fanboi replies aside does anyone have anything to say that actually counters what I`m saying?

You know..something with substance?

Why must one re-invent the wheel to move forward?

Why must I re-learn the most basic of computer tasks for this one single piece of hardware?

Why the hell can`t I attach a file to an e-mail without having to download yet another app?

Why is Apples most "revolutionary" piece of hardware less efficient than a $200.00 piece of crap e-book?

I`ve numbered my complaints to make it easier for you to counter them.

I was actually hoping you would as then I might learn something.

Anything?

I think it is funny that you are on an ipad forum trashing the ipad and then calling people "fanbois" for sticking up for a product that all of us bought and most if not all of us like.

There is no sense in us trying to sway you because you have already made up your mind. Sell your ipad and move on with your life.

I have enjoyed researching about the ipad and figuring out new exciting things that you can do with it that you can't do with a netbook. I use a stylus and use the write pad app to convert my handwriting into text. That is definitely something you cant do on a netbook. Of course I didn't buy the ipad as an alterenative to a netbook. I bought it because I am in sales and I am able to interact with product demos and videos and then hand the ipad to my customers and they are able to do the same thing. I don't have to balance my laptop and I'm not constantly having to carry my charger with me for fear that it will be dead the next time I need to use it. My ipad is my go to device for everything. I store all my lead info on it, brochures, product videos etc and using my stylus I take all my notes on it.

Call me an Apple "fanboi" if you want but I honestly was anti apple before I bought the iPad. I have never owned anything Apple other than an old ipod that I never used. The ipad has changed my thinking.

Anyway it isn't like what I am saying matters in anyway but I don't think it is fair to bash a product on a forum dedicated to it and expect the members of the forum to sympathize with you.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok here is my an advice from a hardcore windows user.... Don't be so upset, calm down a bit and figure out whether you are willing to spend 99c more on a goodreader and whether you have nerves to do some research to get around iPad crippling limitations. If you don't want to deal with it then sell it. Getting iPad to work as a netbook is like making a vista run smoothly on 1gb of ram. It's not impossible but it takes A little bit of time.
Here are the reasons why I love iPad despite it's limitations:
- there is a fast and smooth user experience.
- beautiful screen. This one is ips, you will not find this in any current laptop or notebook. Ips screens were removed from the market around 3-4 years ago.
- non-wide screen. Better for web browsing and viewing pictures than stupid 16:9
- smaller, thinner and lighter than a netbook
- easier to keep clean as thee is no physical keyboard
- touchscreen is way better than a touchpad or a mouse. I use trackpoint on laptops and I don't buy any equipment without a trackpoint. Netbooks don't have those so they are out of the question
Now you can either take apple very personally and get upset or you can simply decide the pros and cons for you. For me as you can see iPad made more sense than a netbook. Goodluck in whatever you choose to do.

OP
Kingsmuse

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here are the reasons why I love iPad despite it's limitations:
- there is a fast and smooth user experience.
- beautiful screen. This one is ips, you will not find this in any current laptop or notebook. Ips screens were removed from the market around 3-4 years ago.
- non-wide screen. Better for web browsing and viewing pictures than stupid 16:9
- smaller, thinner and lighter than a netbook
- easier to keep clean as thee is no physical keyboard
- touchscreen is way better than a touchpad or a mouse. I use trackpoint on laptops and I don't buy any equipment without a trackpoint. Netbooks don't have those so they are out of the question

Excellent!
Thank you, yes those are all qualities the iPad and only the iPad has.

I`m also not upset, I`m just boggled as to how any engineer/designer can take such an outstanding unique platform and utterly disregard 90%of it`s potential.

C`mon, can`t attach a file to e-mail?
That`s asinine.
Separate app for every task?
If I want to print a Notes file I have to open Print Bureau but wait!.. can`t do that because I can`t format a font in Notes to print legibly.
Can`t print a word file from Print Bureau.
Can`t e-mail a Word file from anything.
Can`t organize photos without two separate photo apps.
This machine was unable to handle my 4th graders science project.
That`s a major fail.

The ultimate problem with this machine is that the user has absolutely no control over the content.
None whatsoever.
That makes for a crappy experience.

So I figure most of my problems with this machine would be solved if there existed a file manager.
A "real" file manager that actually allows me to see, and manipulate every file on the HD.

I doubt one exists and if a consumer has to hack the system (Jailbreak) in order to use it the product is seriously flawed

Anyway it isn't like what I am saying matters in anyway but I don't think it is fair to bash a product on a forum dedicated to it and expect the members of the forum to sympathize with you.

I`m not expecting sympathy.
I`m expecting one person to agree that "Yeah it is really stupid that you can`t attach a file to an e-mail"
Why?
Because it is stupid!
Denial of that is..odd.

I`m sorry I was unaware this was a "Glowing iPad Reviews Only" forum.
Thought it was simply labelled "iPad Reviews".

I gave mine, my points are valid, at least no one here has been able to rebut one yet.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...if a consumer has to hack the system (Jailbreak) in order to use it the product is seriously flawed
Believe it or not, some people bought an iPad for what it is, not for what it could be if you circumvent the iOS.

I bought my iPad to read books and magazines. It does that extremely well. I use it to listen to streaming audio and radio stations. It does that extremely well. I use it for web browsing. It does an OK job of this, not great, but OK. I can use it to make free VOIP phone calls. It does this extremely well. The list of things you can do with an iPad goes on and on.

The bottom line is that it is a matter of expectations. My expectations for what the iPad can do are pretty well being met and obviously, very few of your expectations are being met.

Most reactions

Latest posts