What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The New Ipad Expandable Storage

Is your 16GB iPad full/almost full?

• Yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

dchristo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a lot of new 'pad users like me come into the experience thinking they'll create word-processing documents and slideshows on their 'pads and save them on the machine like on their PCs. What I quickly discovered is that the 'pad is NOT a computer at all, but a communications and lifestyle device for accessing and enjoying media and the web. Sure, you can use an MS Word clone to whip up a report for the boss, but as soon as you get used to saving it on iCloud or Dropbox, you'll be as comfortable as you were with the PC.

Bob1040

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bob1040
How do you move data from your iPad folder stored on PC to cloud FTP?, so you will have more storage on iPad 3.I read some were you can keep the app on the pad and the data is stored on a external drive. Only have 1 Gig left.
Have a look here CloudFTP. Gabriel1. Is their another guide to show you how to do this. Having a hard time doing this in your last post. Thank you for any help you can give.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob1040 said:
Originally Posted by Bob1040
How do you move data from your iPad folder stored on PC to cloud FTP?, so you will have more storage on iPad 3.I read some were you can keep the app on the pad and the data is stored on a external drive. Only have 1 Gig left.
Have a look here CloudFTP. Gabriel1. Is their another guide to show you how to do this. Having a hard time doing this in your last post. Thank you for any help you can give.

What exactly are you trying to move?

The Archangel

Bob1040

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'am try to gain more storage on my iPad which has only 1 Gig left.What I want to do is store my apps data on the cloudFTP (hard drive) and keep my Icons on the iPad. So this will give me more storage. Is this doable.It was mention a few post above. the person in this post figured it out but did not say how.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob1040 said:
I'am try to gain more storage on my iPad which has only 1 Gig left.What I want to do is store my apps data on the cloudFTP (hard drive) and keep my Icons on the iPad. So this will give me more storage. Is this doable.It was mention a few post above. the person in this post figured it out but did not say how.

Both Apps and icons need to stay on the iPad but movies, documents, photos can all be moved off. I believe that iTunes purchased music and films would need to remain on the iPad.

The Archangel

tiffy83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob1040 said:
Thanks for you anwser.So Iguess it can't be done.

It can be done. You'll need a jail broken iPad and an SD card and camera connection kit.

What you need to do is go into I file and move the app from your iPad onto the SD card. Once that's done go back into the applications folder on your iPad and create a link to the app you now have stored on the SD card.

This is how I have done it. Using an SD card. I'm not sure how it would work with the cloud FTP (or whatever it is). But you could try using the same method.

Bob1040

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tiffy83 Is their any way you can post a you tube video showing how to do this. Would make it a lot easier. I am already broken all I need is I file.

Luseraph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When i do this it works great, until i reboot my ipad. Then the "app" dissapears from my springboard and i have to move it back from my SD card and restart the process. Have you found a way around this?

Edit: Just to clarify, i was able to play games from the SD card by cutting the app from ipad to an SD card using ifile, and then creating a link back to app folder.

Last edited:

m64

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just Wondered if anyone had a solution to the apps disapearing after rebooting the ipad. ? I also had success when cutting the app/game and copying to the SD card then creating a link from there back to the application folders but when rebooting the icons of the apps disapear.

Thanks

davidpaul17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been able to transfer small apps to my sd card and link them to the applications folder and launch them successfully, however I can't seem to cut/copy larger apps to my sd card. I am using iFile....any suggestions or alternatives to iFile?

Most reactions

Latest posts