What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Connection Kit + Jailbreak = cheap video storage!

hey_moe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also did a lot of searching and I feel this is nothing more that BS. It is a crying shame that Apple still has the camera kit on the market and knows full well since the last update it doesn't work anymore.To me something that is so simple needs to be looked into from Apple. They are the ones who took away the feature. Only other thing you can do is revert back to a older update.:(
Is camx2.0 real? Somehow I doubt that, considering that Google only has 2 direct hits with that exact name. There isn't even a 'camx 2.0 cydia' reference, which usually gives lots of hits for any jb

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also did a lot of searching and I feel this is nothing more that BS. It is a crying shame that Apple still has the camera kit on the market and knows full well since the last update it doesn't work anymore.To me something that is so simple needs to be looked into from Apple. They are the ones who took away the feature. Only other thing you can do is revert back to a older update.:(
Is camx2.0 real? Somehow I doubt that, considering that Google only has 2 direct hits with that exact name. There isn't even a 'camx 2.0 cydia' reference, which usually gives lots of hits for any jb

You do realize that even though the CC Kit will not work with the iPad 2 (I do not really know if that is accurate) there are millions of iPad 1 users out there and not all have the CC Kit. So it makes perfect sense to keep it in production.

Actually, I just took a look and the CC Kit is on the Apple iPad 2 web site so apparently, you are incorrect.

Bob

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive contacted the people on twitter that mentioned it, but no reply yet.

hey_moe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to get in a wee wee contest with you but I have the Ipad 1 and I know for a fact that since the new update came out it DOESN'T work with the camera kit that Apple sells. My facts are 100% right in that area. So if you can figure a work around please let all the thousands of others who are in the same boat I am in know what your fix is Bob.Apple dropped the voltage down so it can't handle a upload or DL.

You do realize that even though the CC Kit will not work with the iPad 2 (I do not really know if that is accurate) there are millions of iPad 1 users out there and not all have the CC Kit. So it makes perfect sense to keep it in production.

Actually, I just took a look and the CC Kit is on the Apple iPad 2 web site so apparently, you are incorrect.

Bob

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not to get in a wee wee contest with you but I have the Ipad 1 and I know for a fact that since the new update came out it DOESN'T work with the camera kit that Apple sells. My facts are 100% right in that area. So if you can figure a work around please let all the thousands of others who are in the same boat I am in know what your fix is Bob.Apple dropped the voltage down so it can't handle a upload or DL.

Bob

I know what you said. My point is, because there are millions of iPad users out there, it makes perfect sense to still offer the CC Kit. I am well aware that there are potential issues with the CC Kit and the iPad2, but I also know that Apple ships the second version of the iPad with the new OS and the CC Kit is specifically offered an an iPad 2 accessory.

Since I have not confirmed if the new OS (4.3) works or does not work with the CC Kit, I can't address that issue. Perhaps you are correct and Apple is selling an accessory that does not work with the new update. That was not my point, however.

My only point is some users still need the CC Kit and that is why Apple still offers it. Not sure why it does not (if it truly does not) work with the latest OS version unless you are incorrect. I mean, why would Apple offer it as an accessory for a device it does not work with?

Bob

Reaction score
I believe there is a wee misunderstanding, as to what is considered a working CC kit.

The camera connection kit using in conjunction with an iPad 2 works fine reading SD cards, as well as accessing data from camera's via the USB connection. However, it will not work with keyboards, or other USB accessory, such as USB drives, external hard drives, etc. at least this has been my experience. These used to work with the iPad 1 and still partly work on iOS 4.3, but don't work with the iPad 2 anymore.

If the CC kit was bought to access external content, as would the thread title suggest, then it would be safe to say that the CC kit does not work anymore. On iPad 2 it sadly only works the way Apple intends it to work.

sati747

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nooby here. Two quick questions if I may --

1. Does CC kit still work with iPad 1 on 4.3.1?
2. (this is a little off topic, but .. :)) Does iBluever work on iPad1 with 4.3 or 4.3.1?
Thank much in advance!

sati747

sati747

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry about the unclear question. I really meant --
Does CC kit work with a jailbroken ipad1 (on 4.3.1) that ipad can still read (some) thumb drives? Thanks again.

Reaction score
sati747 said:
Sorry about the unclear question. I really meant --
Does CC kit work with a jailbroken ipad1 (on 4.3.1) that ipad can still read (some) thumb drives? Thanks again.

IFile can read my thumb drive with iPad 1 4.3.1, so probably not much has changed from 4.2.1 to 4.3.1 in this regard.

VampiraQula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In case no one here has mentioned it I have found that I am able to connect my iPod (5 or classic) with the camera kit and access the hdd. I am currently using my old 30G iPod as an external hdd. I have a 4th gen but my drive is dead or I'd try that one too.

ifile is also able to detect my psp as an external drive.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
IFile can read my thumb drive with iPad 1 4.3.1, so probably not much has changed from 4.2.1 to 4.3.1 in this regard.

Just remember, only very few types of thumb drives work now... Out o the 8 or so, I've tried, only one works (the rest "require too much power")...

Reaction score
jtrosky said:
Just remember, only very few types of thumb drives work now... Out o the 8 or so, I've tried, only one works (the rest "require too much power")...

Must have been extremely lucky. Only tried 1 and it worked, even though it had an indicator light.

But it is worthwhile to keep this limitation in mind.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Must have been extremely lucky. Only tried 1 and it worked, even though it had an indicator light.

But it is worthwhile to keep this limitation in mind.

Of the four I have sitting here in front of me - only one works:

PNY 8GB (Tiny little thing): Too much power
SanDISK Cruzer 4GB: Too much power
MicroCenter 8GB: Too much power
MicroCenter 2GB: Works!

Not sure if has to do with capacity or class of the memory stick maybe?

Most reactions

Latest posts