The Most Popular iPad Model is Still the Three-and-a-half-year-old iPad 2

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Oct 13, 2014.

1. RaduTyrsina

RaduTyrsina
    Expand Collapse
    News Team

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

We're just a few days away from the unveiling of the newest iPads, but here's an interesting statistic to reflect upon. According to a recent report from Fiksu, the most popular iPad model is still the three-and-a-half-year-old iPad 2.

iPad sales have declined dramatically in recent quarter, and this current report is another proof for that. Here's a breakdown of the iPad models and their usage share:

1. iPad 2 - 27%
    2. iPad Mini - 21.1%
    3. iPad (4th gen.) - 16.6%
    4. iPad Air - 14.8%
    5. iPad (3rd gen.) - 11.3%
    6. iPad Mini Retina - 5.3%
    7. iPad - 3.9%

So, as we can see, the iPad 2 has more than a quarter of the total iPad usage share, which is a worrying fact for Apple. On the second position, we find the iPad Mini with slightly more than a fifth of the total usage share. The iPad 4 has almost 17% and finds itelf on the third place.

Last-year's iPad Air accounts for just 14.8%, being followed by the iPad 3 with 5.3% and the original iPad with 3.9%. However, we also need to take into account that with the iPad 4, Apple has also introduced the Mini version. Together, they have a combined share of 37.7% while last year's duo is at just 20.1%.

And this is what should worry Apple. The combined share of the iPad Air and the iPad Mini with Retina display isn't enough to beat the iPad 2. And this means that consumers don't perceive the iPads that followed after the second-generation as important upgrades. Will this year's iPad be able to change that?

Source: Fiksu

2. Gtatler

Gtatler
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    My iPad 2 is still going strong on IOS 8. I wouldn't be without it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Victoria022

Victoria022
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I agree! :) That makes me feel a little proud.

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The fact that it was sold for three years has a lot to do with its share of total iPad sales.

5. cs300823

cs300823
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Still have my IPad 2 love it !!!

6. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    + 1 on my iPad 2 as well.

Working good with a little TLC! :)

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The iPad 2 was my first iPad. I bought it in November, 2011 and still have it.

8. dasipad2

dasipad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    EXACTLY my situation!!:D
    I bought myself an iPad 2 before "Black Friday" in 2011.....as an early Christmas gift to myself...!!:rolleyes:
    It's stood the test of time better than many other electronic devices I've owned over the years....it's in a padded zipper-pouch, with a glass screen protector.....and still looks - and performs- like NEW!!
    Still....it IS nearly 4 years old....and technology is moving forward RAPIDLY!! I'm hoping the newest iteration of iPads utilizes 802.11ac Wi-Fi, like the iPhone 6/+....NFC would be nice, also...although personally, the latter wouldn't serve ME all that well......I don't see myself carrying my iPad into a store and using it at the check-out to make a purchase!!o_O

9. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    It's really a matter of how much of an upgrade the 2 was versus its predecessor versus the upgrade of other generations to the next one. The 2 was such a huge improvement over the 1 where subsequent iterations weren't so much. I went from a 2 to an Air and felt the upgrade was pretty significant. However, those that went from the 3 to the 4 probably didn't feel that way as much.

10. iluvmyipad

iluvmyipad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have the iPad 3, and I'm pretty happy with it still. It has the retina display, so the display is nice. I have the old plug, the 4 came with the new lightning plug and I refused to buy a new iPad when I'd only had mine for a few months. It would be great if all my apple devices used the same plug, but oh well. My daughter still has her ipad 2, and she's still pretty content with it. Can't wait to see what's new with the next versions.