What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 is still the most popular Apple tablet, according to new study

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
localytics-2-20131022.jpg

Hours away from what seems to be Apple’s most important iPad launch since 2010, we’re sharing with you an interesting report. According to new data from mobile analytics company Localytics, despite multiple upgrades, iPad 2 still remains the most popular Apple tablet on a global scale.

According to Localytics’ study, the iPad 2 has a 38 percent share of all active iOS tablets. On second place we find the third-generation iPad with a 19 percent share while the iPad 4 accounts for 18 percent and the iPad mini for 17 percent. Commenting on this, Localytics said:

"This could be an indication that the innovation in tablets is slowing down and the perceived differentiation of the latest-generation tablets is getting smaller with each new release. That being said, a Retina display [for the mini] could certainly be the trigger Apple is looking for to drive a major upgrade cycle."

The iPad 2 was launched in the market with a new industrial design and the iPad versions that followed added higher-resolution Retina displays and various other incremental hardware upgrades, which probably weren’t perceived as good reasons by consumers to switch to new iPad models.

Localytics also examined the popularity of the iPhone 5c and 5s. Unsurprisingly, it found out that more consumers have opted for the iPhone 5s than the iPhone 5c.

Maybe Apple will launch tonight some truly innovative tablets that will make users dethrone the iPad 2 from its long reign. And, if we are to believe to the increased iPad trade-in activity, we can see that consumers are getting ready for that.

Source: GigaOm

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Price point and disappointing iPad release today, why upgrade if you have 3 or 4? 64 bit, I not going anywhere that it makes that much difference. 5 mp ISight camera, really!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All hail to the iPad 2! :)

Mine still works great and still gets all the iOS updates!!❤️❤️❤️

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, well, my iPad 2 64G 3G died a horrible death about a week ago in the hot tub. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The Air is nice, but not much is new.

WELL, there are some exceptions.... Mine hasn't been in the "hot tub" yet LOL.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, well, my iPad 2 64G 3G died a horrible death about a week ago in the hot tub. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The Air is nice, but not much is new.

Actually, quite a bit is new. The weight, the feel and the speed will be quite an upgrade over the 2. I also have an iPad 2 and won't be upgrading right away but at some point I'll end up holding one at a store or where ever and the. I'll probably get sucked in. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts