What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The London Olympics 2012

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everyone for outstanding announcing on this thread. For those of us who couldn't be there, you made it seem like we were there---And you all have a delightful sense of humor too. :) The thread was fun to read each time I logged on. It would be great if our paths could cross some time. So again, THANKS!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mollysmom said:
I just wanted to thank everyone for outstanding announcing on this thread. For those of us who couldn't be there, you made it seem like we were there---And you all have a delightful sense of humor too. :) The thread was fun to read each time I logged on. It would be great if our paths could cross some time. So again, THANKS!

Thank you Mollysmum.

I for one have enjoyed the Olympics and posting. We are currently watching the men's mountain biking. With it's thrills and spills. I am telling my wife, you can now see what I do when out cycling. I've 2 punctures to fix :)

Of course there is tonight's closing ceremony.

We all take a breather and then it's off on the Paralympics.

I suggest we keep this thread running for the Paralympics. Is that OK?

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since I'm a special education teacher, keep the thread going. :)

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mollysmom said:
Since I'm a special education teacher, keep the thread going. :)

Will do. I also hope I will post some photos of the athletics on 5th Sept. I have tickets to go.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
An interesting fact about the distance of the modern marathon is that it was fixed by the IAAF in 1921, based on the distance run at the 1908 Olympics in London. The 26 miles 385 Yards length was the distance of the course from Windsor Castle to the Olympic Stadium. Todays official distance of 42.195 kilometers is the metric conversion of the 1921 distance.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why not just go metric and round up or down that figure. Or is that just my female mind? Sentimentality can go too far I fear

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Why not just go metric and round up or down that figure. Or is that just my female mind? Sentimentality can go too far I fear

Metric? Swear word LOL Some of us oldies still only understand miles.....

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
darkangelwitch said:

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

Yes, absolutely. However I'm OK with metric or Imperial. :)

There is a story about the marathon distance being increased so that the finish line was near Queen Victoria's Royal box. I will need to do some virtual research to sort out the facts. :)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gold for team GB for Joshua in boxing. Silver for Fred Evans. Yip yip

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:

Agree!! But that marathon history is interesting isn't it?

Scifan is very good at that sort of thing... Folk like me (you?), who aren't, probably need folk like him to keep us on the factual straight and narrow:):):) Thanks sci! & also Richard of course.

darkangelwitch said:

Sorry, darkangel, I agree with Hayles re metric. I remember the horror of trying to cope with complicated LSD, not only at school but working in a variety of bookshops in holiday jobs (with paper & pencil, no digital tills or calculators then:-().

Mind you, I still now have problems with getting the decimal point right...so it's lucky I'm not in charge of the country's purse strings:). BUT--now there are calculators, which, when they became so cheap & common, were a Real Godsend for me. I NEVER believe any of my own maths without checking & re-checking:)

That said, I often have to translate stuff into proper Old money / miles / weights / temperatures etc for them to mean anything real!

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm south African therefore brought up the metric way. Imperial is darn confusing. Annoying that it is still taught even now. Pointless. Sorry!

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
I'm south African therefore brought up the metric way. Imperial is darn confusing. Annoying that it is still taught even now. Pointless. Sorry!

^^^^ +1

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
Yes, absolutely. However I'm OK with metric or Imperial. :)

There is a story about the marathon distance being increased so that the finish line was near Queen Victoria's Royal box. I will need to do some virtual research to sort out the facts. :)

Check this article under 1908 Olympics in the distance section.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon#section_2

Most reactions

Latest posts