What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ipad 2 is a piece of crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J/K BUT I DO FEEL I HAVE BEEN DECEIVED BY APPLE. I KNOW WE WERE GETTING WAS A SEMI FASTER PROCESSOR , BAD CAMERA(HORRIBLE ACCORDING TO MOST PEOPLE:mad:)BUT WHEN YOU LOOK AT ALL THE BENCHMARK COMPARISONS THE IPAD 1 WITH IOS 4.3 IS A TAD BEHIND THE IPAD 2 WITH 4.3. I JUST WATCHED ALL THE REVIEWS POSTED ON APPLE.COM PLUS ENGADGET. AND HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THE IPAD 3 IS WORTH THE WAIT. AS RETINA AND BETTER CAMERA WILL COME .IF YOU HAVE AN IPAD 1 DON'T EVEN CONSIDER AN UPGRADE AS YOU ARE NOT UPGRADING. YOU ARE JUST GETTING AN UNLIMITED DIGITAL DISPOSABLE CAMERA AND A COMCAST INTERNET BOOSTER BUILT INTO YOUR DEVICE. AM I WRONG FOR FEELING THIS WAY .I SAW A REVIEW OF GARAGEBAND RUNNING FLAWLESS ON IPAD 1 TOO IF THAT COUNTS.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand your frustration but please do not use caps in this forum ok. What I cannot understand how can you be so direct in your statements when you have not even tried or used an ipad2. I take magazine reviews with a grain of salt unless the product has been out for at least a month or more and tested in the real world Most reviews are done in a short time and are often lopsided and are more about getting to the press than providing real info. Who are to to tell users not to consider an upgrade it is your personal opinion only so why should any user accept your statement not to buy. I welcome constructive criticism in this forum but let's please test the product first then we welcome discussions from real users .... Oh and I am purchasing an ipad2

One more thing no one can guarantee the next iPad will have retina display and also most likely be another year before iPad 3 is released. So it's a long way between lunch.

OP
J

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh sorry I'm a facebook junkie(caps). Its just that every reviewer that has showed a picture or movie with camera is far below what I expected , and judging from all the test ran the speed are near identical give or take to each other.This is like selling a '10 macbook just to get a '11 just to get thunderbolt. I was really stuck between a 16 gb + 3g ipad 1 or get the ipad 2 version but now i feel like its not worth 150

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to add my whole-hearted support to col.bris.

For a start, although iOS4.3 has been optimised to make full use of the dual-core A5 processor the apps, on which most benchmarks I have seen were made, were not so optimised. This is simply a demonstration of Amdahl's Law - if a part of a program consumes 10% of the CPU capacity and you speed that part of the program up *so* much that it now consumes no time at all, then the overall program will now only execute in 90% of the time it used to - a relatively small speed-up factor.

So, whatever Apple do to iOS, unless the *app* is optimised to run on the dual-core processor, you cannot (Laws of Physics, not Apple) realise the full potential of the new processor architecture.

Furthermore, and perhaps more significantly, Apple have made extensive changes to the graphics engine of the iPad2. They claim it is up to 9x faster than the graphics engine (GPU - graphics processing unit) of the iPad1. None of the 'benchmarks' that I have seen so far have been able to objectively measure this improvement. Since the iPad is primarily a 'consumption' device (OK - we could argue about this, but I suspect that the majority of users are watching video, playing games for most of the time), GPU performance is going to be a very significant part of their 'user experience'. It doesn't matter how fast the CPU runs, if the GPU cannot render the graphics in a timely manner, the user experience will be adversely affected.

I believe that Apple have made the right choices. They have improved somewhat the CPU performance but have really 'gone to town' on the GPU. Most of the early reviewers have subjectively remarked on the iPad2's stunning performance - even some of the sceptics have been impressed.

The cameras? Well, you were never realistically going to get users taking professional pictures on the iPad - it just doesn't make sense. The use will be Facetime, video Skype calls and some HD videos of your family etc. For the majority of stills, you're still going to rely on your Canon, Pentax, Sony, Samsung SLR or compact camera. I'm not expecting to see a whole bunch of people holding up their iPads at the summer camp BBQ and taking pictures...

So, as col.bris says, let's wait and see. Whatever you may think, Apple have an enviable track record of pitching their products right on the mark. Most of their competitors wish they had only a fraction of Apple's success. Like it or not, they seem to know what the consumers want. And, before you say it, I think it is condescending to assume that consumers are 'duped' by Apple's PR machine. The majority of consumers are very tech-savvy and can see right through any 'hype' that a tech company might use. Most of the iPad purchasers wanted a tablet computer, they evaluated the competition and decided, rightly in my personal view, that the iPad was streets ahead of the others.

Tim
Scotland

OP
J

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow:eek:you need to be a reviewer. I was hoping the camera won't be so bad as I want to actually do short films,and music videos on this. I didn't want to have to pull out my canon then go to the pc ,then go to the macbook. What way would u do to show the speed comparison between the two?I think I'm mad because I feel like hype beast instead of looking at specs and actually thinking between new and refurb

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am glad you understand about Caps ok we do welcome you to our forums so understand that This is a private forum and you will find that we have many highly experianced users as members so stay awhile.

As Tim stated and I missed pointing it out it is not just about hardware it is about software supporting the dual core and the new graphics not to mention taking advantage of the extra ram ( total 512mb) installed. I donot believe any one really has had the chance to put the ipad2 through its paces with apps that are optimised for it as of yet. I have updated my ipad to 4.3 and have had an increase in speed with Safari however I am looking forward to the much improved performance of the ipad2. as it is my direct replacement for my 3 year old macbook

Last edited:

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yikes. Well, at least this wasn't an incredibly troll thread.

There's no excuse for all caps, Facebook junkie (really? That entitles you to captastic typing?)

Anyway, if you take a look at the new iPod touch, the camera sucked in that. I don't know why they chose to do that, but they did. It was designed for video, HD video, but video only.

The iPhone, however, has an awesome camera for video and stills.

So if you look at the iPad, it is the spiritual successor of the iPod touch, not the iPhone.

Am I sad that it can't take better quality photos? Sure. But it's far from a deal breaker. I have my phone for that reason, or my camera.

As for the question of upgrading, what are you talking about? The quality of everything is far better on the iPad 2. Faster processor, double the ram, complete revamp of how the inner architecture works and operates with apps, webpages, etc.

Also, you've not seen iOS 5 which could take advantage of so many things you can't even imagine, having a dual core. Heck, you can mirror the display over HDMI. You can have 9 live video streams for Photobooth.

You can do fairly complex editing through iMovie on an iPad tablet!

How could you ask for anything more?

Yes, the display would be nice if it was better. Yes, it would be better if the gave us a gig of ram, but the display IS great and is still incredibly impressive. And the ram is actually very decent, specifically seeing as how iOS handles programs and their access of memory.

It's not perfect, but if I look at what's on the market, upgrading to the iPad 2 makes so bloody much sense, I'm thrilled to be able to do it and can't wait until I have one in my grubby lil' hands ;)

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Impressed with Col & Tim's restraint
All those positive reviews and a dood says crap in caps.

hmmm tricky decision........

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess after 12 months as a moderator on this forum let alone iPhone4forum as well one learns to be tolerant but."....... I can box like a Kangaroo when I have to. Lol

boxing.gif

Last edited:

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J/K BUT I DO FEEL I HAVE BEEN DECEIVED BY APPLE. I KNOW WE WERE GETTING WAS A SEMI FASTER PROCESSOR , BAD CAMERA(HORRIBLE ACCORDING TO MOST PEOPLE:mad:)BUT WHEN YOU LOOK AT ALL THE BENCHMARK COMPARISONS THE IPAD 1 WITH IOS 4.3 IS A TAD BEHIND THE IPAD 2 WITH 4.3. I JUST WATCHED ALL THE REVIEWS POSTED ON PLUS ENGADGET. AND HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THE IPAD 3 IS WORTH THE WAIT. AS RETINA AND BETTER CAMERA WILL COME .IF YOU HAVE AN IPAD 1 DON'T EVEN CONSIDER AN UPGRADE AS YOU ARE NOT UPGRADING. YOU ARE JUST GETTING AN UNLIMITED DIGITAL DISPOSABLE CAMERA AND A COMCAST INTERNET BOOSTER BUILT INTO YOUR DEVICE. AM I WRONG FOR FEELING THIS WAY .I SAW A REVIEW OF GARAGEBAND RUNNING FLAWLESS ON IPAD 1 TOO IF THAT COUNTS.

You might want to delete this attempt to share your feelings... no facts here what so ever.

My dear mother passed on a saying ... I've never forgotten it ... "people are down on what they're not up on".

Do some homework on this forum. There are some very up to speed folks here. I don't trust Facebook, period.

IMO ... iPad is revolutionizing the way many people are using computers. Most just want to get on the internet, use E-mail, read and write stuff, play with photographs, watch movies, and play games. There is a lot more, but you get the idea. iPAD does these beautifully and so intuitively on a gorgeous screen I might add. Young kids and senior citizens alike actually use these from the gitgo... millions of them, by the way. (they have enjoyed their investment and are raving, not ranting) No complicated OS to figure out. They don't care about setup and customization. (That's for the geeks, and they comprise a very small number, but boy do they try to make a lot of noise. Spec comparison is flaggrant, but is only part of the story). iPAD2 is faster, lighter and EZr to handle, added features, and priced very competitively... 10 hours of typical use before having to recharge is flat out awesome.

Apple deceived no one ... Engadget, the media hypers, all the soothsayers (wannabes that is) are very active and are so willing to jump in and criticize. You, my friend, are the one that got deceived by them, not Apple.

Like I said, study, learn, get some first hand experience, then gently offer your opinion, if you care to share.

Last edited:

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP: It is pretty simple, take your Ipad to an apple store and compare it with the Ipad 2 and make a decision. The wait is over, it is here, you don't have to rely on professional reviewers or anyone's opinions. Try it yourself and decide.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP: It is pretty simple, take your Ipad to an apple store and compare it with the Ipad 2 and make a decision. The wait is over, it is here, you don't have to rely on professional reviewers or anyone's opinions. Try it yourself and decide.

They don't have enough smilies here, I wanted to give this post a round of applause for using common sense.

I really don't like it when somebody sensationalizes a topic title, thens say's j/k and then goes on to bash the product anyway. I don't know anything about the iPad2 I just know that for the price it offers a faster processor and a camera. I've yet to see any device that wasn't a camera get praise, that's on a tablet or a phone.

Anyway I'm staying with my iPad original because I don't need a cameral, processor speed is fine and I've only had it about 5 months. Let me keep it a year and lets see what the iPad 3 has to offer.

One last thing. I am also a moderator in androidforums.net Coming Soon! and in comparison reviews with the Xoom the iPad 2 is really holding it's own. That's difficult to do with a forum full of Android fan boys who make apple fan boys look tame in comparison.

Android Forums is a sister forum to this site which is why I can mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts