Starting to lose interest in iPad 2.

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by donka, Feb 16, 2011.

1. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Okay, the iPad started something special - I love the form of it for casual surfing, gaming etc. and the range of Apps is superb.
    Now I realise IOS is a stable and easy to use OS but I'm looking at all these Honeycomb tablets at MWC and also the HP WebOS Tablet and I think this year is going to kill the iPad.
    I'm expecting the usual incremental upgrade from Apple i.e. add in the camera, bump up specs a bit and I know this is all still conjecture at this point but I would feel short changed if I upgraded to iPad 2 when realistically it might not come close to what others are offering.
    I would like Flash & USB support and HDMI output would be nice as well but not at the expense of the core OS. The problem is these new OS's that are coming are more than a match for IOS imho and sitting on much more open and powerful hardware just makes any upgrade to a future iPad highly unlikely.
    The only thing I can see keeping me with IOS are the apps that I have, for the time being, in which case I would be more likely to just keep my original iPad and see how the app stores for the other OS's build up.

Anyone else thinking the same?

#1 donka, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    That's pretty much exactly what I am thinking. I have too much invested in the iOS platform to simply abandon it at this point. I pretty much agree with your assessment of the situation as it is now. I use my iPad quite a bit and for what it does I am happy. But, it is pretty much a toy for me. My next tablet will have to fit more of a productivity / laptop replacement role and that means USB and Flash at a minimum. I am in the market for a new notebook at home for my daughter to use. If there was a tablet that supported Flash and USB chances are I would go that route instead.

This should be a fun year in any case. This market is going to get very interesting.

3. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    You could buy a Motorola Xoom. They are only $1200.00!

4. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    lol .. no thanks.

For my uses, the iPad is just fine. Unfortunately many (most?) of the educational sites my daughter has to use for school have some sort of Flash built in, so I have been hoping for something better than our netbook for those uses, and seeing her use the iPad makes me wish there was a tablet that would work. For $1200 though I would probably just buy a notebook and a second iPad!

#4 DaveSt, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  5. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:

As soon as there a couple of these on the market I'm sure prices will drop. The Samsung Tablet 10.1 is already looking a slightly better spec'd device which should come in at a lower price point.

6. Drag Bunt

Drag Bunt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The Xoom will NOT be $1200. Trust me on this. ;)

7. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Guess you peaked too soon :(

8. kryptykk

kryptykk
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried using Skyfire? It converts flash to HTML5 and can render most webpages.

9. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    I can trust you or I can trust engandget --

[​IMG]

10. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received: