What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iFaraday Stylus---A Review

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just looked over the iFaraday website again. I thought about what you said about firmness of the tip and decided that the shallow angle model isn't appropriate for me because it is also advertised as "light touch". So I kinda wiped out and ordered the "Rx," which is touted as a handwriting tool for medicos. There is a nonconductive end collar just above the tip which is supposed to prevent electrical contact with the screen at low angles. It also has a cap and a clip. I am anxious to see if it provides stiff competition with the Jot......?

I have the RX. Ordered it after I had received the "Artist" model. Works relatively well. "Fatter" than the Artist and feels more like a fountain pen. However, it is very lightweight compared to the Jot Pro, for example. Sent an email to Rustle (at iFaraday) indicating that I'd like to have a bit more "heft." He responded that making it heavier wasn't a problem; he was trying to make it as light as possible. So I think we just differ in terms of objectives. The RX model does have a cap that screws on the stylus end. Not nearly as classy as the Jot Pro, but at least it keeps the tip from picking up stuff when it's lying around.

Comparing the "height" of the tip on the Artist model and the RX, the latter is about twice as tall, so it may resolve your problem with scraping the barrel on the screen. I'm sure I don't have to encourage you to report back on your experience.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the RX. Ordered it after I had received the "Artist" model. Works relatively well. "Fatter" than the Artist and feels more like a fountain pen. However, it is very lightweight compared to the Jot Pro, for example. Sent an email to Rustle (at iFaraday) indicating that I'd like to have a bit more "heft." He responded that making it heavier wasn't a problem; he was trying to make it as light as possible. So I think we just differ in terms of objectives. The RX model does have a cap that screws on the stylus end. Not nearly as classy as the Jot Pro, but at least it keeps the tip from picking up stuff when it's lying around. .

Comparing the "height" of the tip on the Artist model and the RX, the latter is about twice as tall, so it may resolve your problem with scraping the barrel on the screen. I'm sure I don't have to encourage you to report back on your experience.

Right! I forgot that you also opted for the Rx. Will do

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried the Rx yet?

I have been waiting to comment until I had more experience with it--and with the swivel point disc Dagi--that I just received.

Here are my impressions about all three.

I think I prefer the firm tip iFaraday with its barrel wrapped with some sort of shrinkable plastic that Rustle of iFaraday "rustled up" for me over the Rx. The latter is a good stylus, but it too has a concentric plastic type of housing that stops maybe an inch and a half above the tip (and extends all the way from there to the "non-business end"). The transition unfortunately is precisely where I seem to want to place my fingers.

The new Dagi 504 that I just received just doesn't hack it. If you try to make a horizontal dash or minus sign, for instance, you can't make it straight because there is a glitch as the disc flips down to contact the screen. For the same reason, you get a little extra pothook at the beginning of each character. Also, as someone else has observed here on the forum, there is an offset between the nib and where the line is appearing. Definitely inferior to the Jot.

Bottom line: when I am using the iFaraday I miss the precision of the Jot; when I am using the Jot I miss the smoothness of the iFaraday. Too bad the technologies are so radically different. If the Jot could solve its skipping problem, it would clearly be my favorite. Until they do, I think iFaraday is the better bet.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Bottom line: when I am using the iFaraday I miss the precision of the Jot; when I am using the Jot I miss the smoothness of the iFaraday. Too bad the technologies are so radically different. If the Jot could solve its skipping problem, it would clearly be my favorite. Until they do, I think iFaraday is the better bet.

Great minds and all that... If I could figure out how to put the iFaraday tip on the Jot Pro, it would be my favorite. :)

Jasonastacio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have some updated info that may be useful to this thread. I recently installed a Moshi iVisor to my iPad. With this addition, I have seen a substantial improvement to the Jot pro. I haven't seen missing strokes like before and not sure why. The stylus is a force to recognize with this screen protector. I should receive the Rx this week and I will give my opinion on that soon.

Last edited:

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Imagine a guitarist growing up without ever having seen a violin. One day he sees he sees his first violin. He picks it up, tries to make music with it, and puts it down again very quickly in disgust. "A stringed instrument without frets, what a joke!", he says in disgust. His worldview is shattered when he sees and hears Perlman playing.

I was and am reasonably proficient at using pencil and pen. I got an iPad ten months ago so I could write, print and draw on its screen. My first and only stylus was a snub-nosed Targus = Griffin = Boxwave. Initially it felt weird and the results seemed unsatisfactory, but I persevered. I've used it a lot. It hangs off my shirt pocket for six or more hours a day, capless and attached by a very strong clip. It now feels natural and I can make it sing.

OT, anyone interested in handwriting recognition (not me, particularly, but that may now change) should check out MyScript Memo (free but not feature rich) or 7Notes HD Premium ($0.99). The OCR in both these apps is amazing.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jasonastacio said:
I have some updated info that may be useful to this thread. I recently installed a Moshi iVisor to my iPad. With this addition, I have seen a substantial improvement to the Jot pro. I haven't seen missing strokes like before and not sure why. The stylus is a force to be recognize with this screen protector. I should receive the Rx this week and I will give my opinion on that soon.

I have a Moshi iVisor also, and I think that it does probably improve the Jot's performance because I seem to feel more positively about the Jot than several other posters.

That said, I admit I have gone back to the iFaraday. I am finding that the iFaraday SALT (shallow angle, light touch) is the best for day-in-day/out use. I always pick it up with a regretful glance at the Jot---.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The previous two posters claim that the Elago is "the best" stylus. My question is: in comparison to what? And why?

Just like H. Ross Perot, I am all ears.

Last edited:

m2edumacated

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Feel kinda lucky:). I originally ordered the ifaraday rx based on reviews from here. I emailed and asked if there was anyway to
make it heavier. To my surprise I was sent the not-yet-released to public rxII . seems to be set up kinda like the artist. Had the
Alupen before this and wow what a difference! I will never go back. Glides like butter even with screen protector. Reading reviews this rxII seems more like a heavy artist. Really, really recommend. Not much on YouTube. May have to do a video review:)

m2edumacated

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry: need 3 posts to post pics and links.
As for cost, I would ask that you email him yourself. He hasn't made the cost public yet so a fair evaluation based on my price may not do anybody else any good. Secondly, I believe i got this out of an act of kindness so I don't want and try to hurt the seller by saying....hope you understand.

Attachments

• IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 500

m2edumacated

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is slightly heavier than the permanent marker. Significant difference from the first RX in regards to style.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Happened to check the iFaraday website today and noticed the pre-release information about the RXII. Considering that the light weight was one of my very few complaints about the RX, I'm happy to see Rustle has an alternative coming out.

Most reactions

Latest posts