What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That same old problem

tamise17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, i've been following the forum for a while, having had my iPad for a few months, so I know this is a common problem but I can't find the answer.
Briefly I want to delete photos that I put on my iPad via iTunes.
I have removed the photo folder from my pc as I think that is what I must do
When I connect to iTunes on my pc it starts to sync . I click on Photos at top, and select All folders but when I select Apply at the bottom I get a message saying : Are you sure you want to remove 24 apps from IPad. This will delete these apps and data from the iPad. The choice is Remove or Cancel. I don't want to lose my apps. But selecting Cancel puts an end to my removing or adding more photos.
Please can you help. Many thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have moved your post to the Help section, where I think it will receive better attention..

Tim
Welcome to the Forum

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What it appears you might have to do is move your app data/settings over to iTunes, then do the photo sync. Try this:

Connect the iPad and when it shows in iTunes, right click on your iPad line in the leftmost column of iTunes. Select "Transfer Purchases." This'll move all the apps/info you have on your iPad to iTunes and update the apps portion of your iTunes to reflect the apps on your iPad (they'll be checked under the Apps heading at the top).

Once you've transferred your purchases, then try the photo sync step again. Hopefully, it won't tell you that you are trying to delete 24 apps from your iPad.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

P.S. Even if you delete apps from your iPad, you can still use iTunes to put them back on (or re-download them from the App Store). Once they're bought, you don't have to buy them again.

OP
T

tamise17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
What it appears you might have to do is move your app data/settings over to iTunes, then do the photo sync. Try this:

Connect the iPad and when it shows in iTunes, right click on your iPad line in the leftmost column of iTunes. Select "Transfer Purchases." This'll move all the apps/info you have on your iPad to iTunes and update the apps portion of your iTunes to reflect the apps on your iPad (they'll be checked under the Apps heading at the top).

Once you've transferred your purchases, then try the photo sync step again. Hopefully, it won't tell you that you are trying to delete 24 apps from your iPad.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

P.S. Even if you delete apps from your iPad, you can still use iTunes to put them back on (or re-download them from the App Store). Once they're bought, you don't have to buy them again.

Hi
Many thanks for your advice. I gave it ago this morning, but unfortunately when I try to sync my photos, the same message about losing the apps appears.
It's frustrating as I would prefer not to lose and then reinstall my apps, and at the moment I can neither delete or upload my photos onto the iPad.
Best wishes.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry that didn't work. That's all I know how/what to do because I don't use iTunes to sync/manage my photos.

My recommendation? Maybe you should go ahead and do the sync/reinstall apps once - just to be done with it. Then, go to the App Store and get a photo manager app that will let you copy/paste/sync/transfer photos to/from the iPad.

I use Photo-Sort, which yeah, it's a paid app ($1.99 USD), but it works well. Plus, it has an FTP function which allows you to load a folder onto your PC so you can easily transfer photos back and forth. You can delete photos on the iPad or save them to the Photo app for use with other iPad apps.

I'm not trying to sell Photo-Sort, as there are plenty others out there. This is just the one I use because, to tell you the truth, using iTunes for anything other than storing my apps and holding a back-up scares me! Too many horror stories! :eek:

Anyway. Sorry my idea didn't help. Good luck.

Marilyn

P.S. If you do decide to go with a commercial photo management app (and thereby accept the fact you'll "lose" 24 apps on your iPad) - do a backup first! That way, you'll most likely have all the info from those apps saved and when you re-load them from the PC, you'll have them as they were before they were taken off.

Last edited:
OP
T

tamise17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. The photo sort app sounds a good option. I will do some research.
I have deleted photos before using iTunes but that was before this awful message popped up. Don"t understand why it has appeared. I can't help wondering if it is something I have done or to do with ITunes itself.

I may pay the Apple store in London a visit and see if they can come up with a reason for the message and a solution as how to get rid of it.

Best wishes

OP
T

tamise17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mickey330
I thought you might like to know that I have solved my problem. The message warning me I would delete my apps if I proceeded came about because somehow I had unchecked Sync Apps.
I have no idea how that happened but once I checked SyncApps. I was able to delete the photos I didn't want and install the ones I did want.
I'm new to iPad and still finding out what I can and can't do with it.
Many thanks for your help. I still may get a photo transfer app as looking at YouTube videos they seem relatively easy to use.
Best wishes

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Super! Glad you got it sorted.

And see? That's why I'm ascairt of iTunes! One little check mark missing and you're facing app deletion .... ! :D

Have [more?] fun learning about your iPad.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts