What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texts ?

spud58

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Texts that are sent to my mobile , can i read them on my ipad 2 . If i can is there a app for it?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My default, no. Jailbroken, I'm not sure there's anything that would forward texts to your iPad unless you're using a medium such as your carrier to send your texts to a specific email address as well as to your device. For iMessages, as long as you choose to receive messages through certain iMessages-tied emails/numbers, you will receive iMessages on all your iOS and OSX devices under the same name or number.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Texts that are sent to my mobile , can i read them on my ipad 2 . If i can is there a app for it?

What kind mobile phone do you have? If you have an iPhone then you can set up your iMessages to receive texts both on your iPhone and your iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What kind mobile phone do you have? If you have an iPhone then you can set up your iMessages to receive texts both on your iPhone and your iPad.

Yes, no, sort of.

iMessages text sent to your iPhone number can be seen on the iPad if you have Messages on both devices set to the same iCloud account.

SMS text messages sent to your iPhone number will not show up in Messages on the iPad, ever. Because they never touch Apple's servers they can not be re-directed/shared with the iPad.

The only way to get the same SMS messages on your phone and your iPad would be to use a third party solution, one that redirects the text messages to multiple numbers and/or internet addresses, or uses a service on both devices that has a third phone number associated with it. Google Voice might do this. There's probably a few other apps/services that will work as well.

OP
spud58

spud58

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android phone samsung galaxy ACE II

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, no, sort of.

iMessages text sent to your iPhone number can be seen on the iPad if you have Messages on both devices set to the same iCloud account.

SMS text messages sent to your iPhone number will not show up in Messages on the iPad, ever. Because they never touch Apple's servers they can not be re-directed/shared with the iPad.

The only way to get the same SMS messages on your phone and your iPad would be to use a third party solution, one that redirects the text messages to multiple numbers and/or internet addresses, or uses a service on both devices that has a third phone number associated with it. Google Voice might do this. There's probably a few other apps/services that will work as well.

Thanks, twerppoet-I should have clarified what I have set up. I do have my iPad and iPhone set up for iMessage with both my phone number and my icloud account. That way, I can get my text from others that use the same idevice. So based on what you're saying, I only need to have my icloud account listed on my iPad and not both.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Android phone samsung galaxy ACE II
If you use Google Hangouts on your Android for texting, and install the app on your iPad, it's possible to read the texts you get there, as well as send texts from your iPad.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet-I should have clarified what I have set up. I do have my iPad and iPhone set up for iMessage with both my phone number and my icloud account. That way, I can get my text from others that use the same idevice. So based on what you're saying, I only need to have my icloud account listed on my iPad and not both.

You're still going to want to have the iPhone number on the iPad, also - if you wish to get all iMessage texts on your iPad. If you don't have the number on the iPad, when someone with an iDevice texts to the phone number, the iPad will not get/see that text. It will only see the iMessages sent to the e-mail.

Given that most people text to phone numbers, if you want to see all iMessage texts on the iPad, it's best to have all the iPhone contact points (all e-mail addresses, too). They should mirror each other...

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So based on what you're saying, I only need to have my icloud account listed on my iPad and not both.

No, you need the same iCloud account set up on both devices, at least in the Messages app. You could use a different iCloud account for other stuff, or none at all.

In the Message app settings you will see a list of email addresses and phone numbers that you will receive iMessage texts from. If you set up both devices with the same iCloud account the phone number from your iPhone will be automatically added to the 'You Can Be Reached by iMessages At" section (Settings > Messages > Send & Receive).

As far as iMessages is concerned your iPhone number is just another address that belongs to you. It works no differently than an email address, with the exception that you can't add it manually.

What happens is that when you activate a device for iMessages it sends Apple's servers all the email and/or phone numbers you've added to that device. They act like aliases for your device. Any of them can be used to send or receive iMessages for that device. When you add another device to the same iCloud account it shares those emails across both devices, so that your phone number becomes a receive address for the iPad, and your email addresses on the iPad become receivable addresses on the iPhone.

To avoid confusion, it is possible to turn on/off various addresses in Message's settings. So it is possible to turn off the iPhone number for the iPad and not receive iMessages on both devices, if you want it that way.

Or you can change "Start New Conversations From" on the iPad to the iPhone's number, so that it always looks like you are sending iMessages from the iPhone, even when you are on the iPad. I do this. It helps to prevent fragmented conversations.

SMS, on the other hand, does not go through Apple's servers. When you send an SMS text to/from an iPhone it goes directly to/from the other phone through the carrier. That means Apple's servers do not get a chance send the text to your iPad. They never see the text at all.

If this is still confusing I can try to draw up an illustration of what's happening.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're still going to want to have the iPhone number on the iPad, also - if you wish to get all iMessage texts on your iPad. If you don't have the number on the iPad, when someone with an iDevice texts to the phone number, the iPad will not get/see that text. It will only see the iMessages sent to the e-mail.

Given that most people text to phone numbers, if you want to see all iMessage texts on the iPad, it's best to have all the iPhone contact points (all e-mail addresses, too). They should mirror each other...

Marilyn

No, you need the same iCloud account set up on both devices, at least in the Messages app. You could use a different iCloud account for other stuff, or none at all.

In the Message app settings you will see a list of email addresses and phone numbers that you will receive iMessage texts from. If you set up both devices with the same iCloud account the phone number from your iPhone will be automatically added to the 'You Can Be Reached by iMessages At" section (Settings > Messages > Send & Receive).

As far as iMessages is concerned your iPhone number is just another address that belongs to you. It works no differently than an email address, with the exception that you can't add it manually.

What happens is that when you activate a device for iMessages it sends Apple's servers all the email and/or phone numbers you've added to that device. They act like aliases for your device. Any of them can be used to send or receive iMessages for that device. When you add another device to the same iCloud account it shares those emails across both devices, so that your phone number becomes a receive address for the iPad, and your email addresses on the iPad become receivable addresses on the iPhone.

To avoid confusion, it is possible to turn on/off various addresses in Message's settings. So it is possible to turn off the iPhone number for the iPad and not receive iMessages on both devices, if you want it that way.

Or you can change "Start New Conversations From" on the iPad to the iPhone's number, so that it always looks like you are sending iMessages from the iPhone, even when you are on the iPad. I do this. It helps to prevent fragmented conversations.

SMS, on the other hand, does not go through Apple's servers. When you send an SMS text to/from an iPhone it goes directly to/from the other phone through the carrier. That means Apple's servers do not get a chance send the text to your iPad. They never see the text at all.

If this is still confusing I can try to draw up an illustration of what's happening.

Thanks Marilyn and twerppoet. I believe my original setup then is alright based on what I am reading. It sure can get confusing, but I have left my phone number and my icloud account email as send and receive for iMessages. I also have my Apple ID email as an option to check of as well, if I want to use that. I appreciate both of your explanations-again thanks! :)

isb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to this post, what I want to do should be simple but I have tried everything I could think of (including all suggestions here and elsewhere) but I still cannot make it work - please help

I have one Appl-ID / iCloud account and 3 devices - 2 iPhones (4 and 4S) one iPad - all has updated OS
Want to be able to see all iMessages in all devices that are send to the phone numbers.
Right now each iPhone can see iMessages for that phone only and iPad only shows one phone number.

I have seen people' setup under Setting - Messages - Send & Receive with two phone numbers (and appl-ID / iCloud email) but they did not know who it was setup
Any help will be great - thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First, all the devices must use the same iCloud account.

Second, while all iMessages should show up on all devices (eventually) SMS messages send or received on the iPhone(s) will not show up on the iPads. This is because SMS messages do not go through Apple's servers. They go directly between phones via your cellular provider's services. iOS 8 may change this behavior, but I'm not certain. If it does it would mean re-routing all messages, SMS and iMessages, through Apple's servers; which may involve other issues.

The best way to get all your devices working together as much as possible to go to Settings > Messages on each device, sign out, wait a while, and sign back in with your iCloud account/Apple ID. When devices update or other 'stuff' happens I've occasionally found it necessary to remove/add a device again. Though this hasn't happened lately.

You'll receive a series of notification on each device as phone numbers and email addresses are added to each device as being able to send and or receive. Make sure you choose the same default addresses/numbers on each device; at least as much as possible.

Good luck.

isb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a million
Yes all 3 devices are setup with my only iCloud account and I do not expect to see SMS messages

Ironically the phone that I am missing iMessages for (and would need to turn iMessage on/off/on) is not 100% accessible. I lost its screen but I can hear the phone is working (I hear it ring, hear the notifications, etc.) I know it is too old for it to be fixed ( and I want to wait for iPhone 6 to replace it)
I plan to switch the SIM cards between the two phones temporary to see if I can get the iMessages corrected and then switch back the SIM card. I can live with a phone (with a dead screen) until iPhone 6 comes out as long as I can get to the iMessages and forward the calls to the phone that is working
Wish me luck - I will report back - thanks again!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm thinking that switching the SIM cards is more likely to further the confusion than stop it. You'll be switching the phone number and other carrier ID between phones; but your iMessage settings will not be affected; unless you sign in/out of iMessages on the phones again. Since you can only sign in/out on the one phone, all you would be doing is redirecting iMessages for that phone number to the one phone that you can access. When you change the SIM card back again, you'd have two phones trying to use the same phone number for iMessages. There is no way to predict what will happen in that case.

Most reactions

Latest posts