Texts ?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by spud58, Dec 9, 2013.

1. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Glad to help.

2. isb

isb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    According to this post, what I want to do should be simple but I have tried everything I could think of (including all suggestions here and elsewhere) but I still cannot make it work - please help

I have one Appl-ID / iCloud account and 3 devices - 2 iPhones (4 and 4S) one iPad - all has updated OS
    Want to be able to see all iMessages in all devices that are send to the phone numbers.
    Right now each iPhone can see iMessages for that phone only and iPad only shows one phone number.

I have seen people' setup under Setting - Messages - Send & Receive with two phone numbers (and appl-ID / iCloud email) but they did not know who it was setup
    Any help will be great - thanks

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    First, all the devices must use the same iCloud account.

Second, while all iMessages should show up on all devices (eventually) SMS messages send or received on the iPhone(s) will not show up on the iPads. This is because SMS messages do not go through Apple's servers. They go directly between phones via your cellular provider's services. iOS 8 may change this behavior, but I'm not certain. If it does it would mean re-routing all messages, SMS and iMessages, through Apple's servers; which may involve other issues.

The best way to get all your devices working together as much as possible to go to Settings > Messages on each device, sign out, wait a while, and sign back in with your iCloud account/Apple ID. When devices update or other 'stuff' happens I've occasionally found it necessary to remove/add a device again. Though this hasn't happened lately.

You'll receive a series of notification on each device as phone numbers and email addresses are added to each device as being able to send and or receive. Make sure you choose the same default addresses/numbers on each device; at least as much as possible.

Good luck.

4. isb

isb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks a million
    Yes all 3 devices are setup with my only iCloud account and I do not expect to see SMS messages

Ironically the phone that I am missing iMessages for (and would need to turn iMessage on/off/on) is not 100% accessible. I lost its screen but I can hear the phone is working (I hear it ring, hear the notifications, etc.) I know it is too old for it to be fixed ( and I want to wait for iPhone 6 to replace it)
    I plan to switch the SIM cards between the two phones temporary to see if I can get the iMessages corrected and then switch back the SIM card. I can live with a phone (with a dead screen) until iPhone 6 comes out as long as I can get to the iMessages and forward the calls to the phone that is working
    Wish me luck - I will report back - thanks again!

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking that switching the SIM cards is more likely to further the confusion than stop it. You'll be switching the phone number and other carrier ID between phones; but your iMessage settings will not be affected; unless you sign in/out of iMessages on the phones again. Since you can only sign in/out on the one phone, all you would be doing is redirecting iMessages for that phone number to the one phone that you can access. When you change the SIM card back again, you'd have two phones trying to use the same phone number for iMessages. There is no way to predict what will happen in that case.

6. isb

isb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    understand and noted
    I think the worse that can happen is I will totally mess up getting all 3 iMessages in all 3 devices (I hope I am right about)
    I can also consider paying the $70 to the guy on kiosk in front of the Apple store to fix my screen
    But if I can fix this technical glitch, I will get it out of my system

Thanks again

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Understood.

Good luck, and please let us know how it works out.

8. isb

isb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Just to give an update ..... I ended up not switching the SIM card since I was about to get a "loner" phone from someone.... Although that has not happened yet, I started getting the iMessages for the "dead" phone on my iPad (but not the other phone) - good enough for now.
    Lessens learned: no matter how much you count on your good luck, always get frequent backups (in iTunes and iCloud) and verify often that your setups are the was you intended them to be - Thanks

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the update.