What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching from computer to iPad: browsing

Silver217

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sitting at my desk computer browsing a webpage.
I like to continue on my iPad. How can I do that without retyping the URL ?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmmm Copy paste URL into evernote, dropbox, email to self or use a VPN client?

When I'm working on a desktop I keep a scrap text file for throwing rough notes in on dropbox.
On the iPad I tend to email myself as it's so quick. Have my name in contacts under z so one tap and it's addressed, two taps and it's gone.
Would love to be consistent but I've left it too late......

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out "XMarks Premium" for use with iPhone, iPad, PC, MAC with Safari, Firefox, IE and Chrome. You can sync your bookmarks, passwords and tabs between all your devices. Wonderful program, use it all the time, for just what you are talking about. You will need the Premium addition for syncing Tabs and iPhones, it's $12 a year I believe. A steal!!!!:)

Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a $.99 USD app in the store called "Lazy Text" that I use regularly (it's an iPhone app - so no landscaping). You fire up the app, and it tells you to (1) connect to a WiFi network, (2) open your computer browser to a [provided] generic link and (3) post your message.

When you go to the link[ the app tells you to], you'll get a text window and a "submit" button. Paste your link/text/anything there and hit the button and ta da! It'll show up in the app on the iPad and you can select/select all/copy/etc. Oh, and if you send a link and then select it - it'll open Safari.

I've found this to be a very handy app for getting hyperlinks over to the iPad without having to type them. Of course, YMMV.

Oh, and it's only one way - PC to iPad. But still...

Marilyn

P.S. The link you're directed to by the app doesn't change, even though the app says it will. I've bookmarked it on my computer for easier access. Just doublecheck it hasn't changed from what the app wants and [usually] you're good to go.

Last edited:
OP
S

Silver217

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Hasty, Pocobear and Mickey330 for your replies.

I have 16 steps for iPad plus 5 to PC, and I have not yet figured out how to go from
PC to iPad. I will start a new thread.

I could not get Xmarks working. I use Xmarks between my PC's, no problem, but on
the iPad it is asking for a "sync-key". I have no idea, I even started as a new user
but I gave up. I am not going to pay 12$ a year for such a basic feature.

That lazy thing seems to work only one way, it cost money and looks complicated.

I this a good idea for a new app ?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know what your doing wrong, but on my iPad, all it have to do is log-in with the same log-in as my computers. I have used it for well over a year and find it one of the most useful programs out there. I'd be willing to bet that you have spent well over a dollar a month on apps that don't do what you thought they would do, if they do anything at all. If you think Xmarks is complicated, your not going to get too much out of your iPad, and don't even think of JailBreaking.

And I'm 69 years old and I figured it out.

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sitting at my desk computer browsing a webpage.
I like to continue on my iPad. How can I do that without retyping the URL ?

Use a vnc client. Most vnc clients support copy and paste. Or if you don't want to spend the money, email always works.

Most reactions

Latest posts