What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Browse Book Collection on Computer From Ipad

fchopin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for a way (iBooks or not) to browse my vast book collection on my computer without having to actually house the files on the iPad (similar to Air Video for streaming media). Is there any way to access a large collection of ebooks on one's computer from the iPad using any app that will allow one to browse the entire collection, and pull a selected book (and presumably delete after reading) so that the books remain only on the computer unless reading one. I have a large collection of TV Shows and Movies that do not take up any space on my Ipad by streaming them with Air Video; I would like to have a very similar scenario with my books if possible but I don't know the best way to go about it. Something like Plex type interface (where it auto downloads the metadata) would be ideal, but really I'd be happy enough to just be able to scroll through the collection titles without having to synch them all to the Ipad and take up so much space unnecessarily. I don't care if they're available outside my home network as I do the majority of my reading a home. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could use DropBox or another cloud service like Box. These service sync with a slected folder(s) on your computer, making them avialable online. Move your current folder to the synced folder.

Once synced you can browse the service using their iOS app and then use Open In to copy the book to the reader of your choice (provided the format is compatible). When done reading, delete the book from the app. It won’t affect it’s avialability online.

Bonus, you don’t have to be on your home network to browser or download a book. Just have an ingternet connection.

As a general rule books don’t take up much space, but you should check your computer folder and see how much space your books currenlty take. DropBox offers 2GB of free space. Box offeres 5GB, but limits the individual file size.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use a free eBooks management program by the name of Calibre for storage of non-DRM books on my PC. In addition to converting from one ebook format to another it also supports sharing your library via a wireless content server.

I load books to my iPad then delete them when done. The "original" is retained in Calibre and not effected by deleting it from the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I use a free eBooks management program by the name of Calibre for storage of non-DRM books on my PC. In addition to converting from one ebook format to another it also supports sharing your library via a wireless content server.

I load books to my iPad then delete them when done. The "original" is retained in Calibre and not effected by deleting it from the iPad.

Thanks. I've used Calibre on my Mac in the past, for format conversion and copying books to the first generation Kindle, but haven't looked at it recently.

Does it sync/copy to the iBook app, or something else?

OP
F

fchopin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question..This seems very much like what I'm looking for...I'm not trying to have to upload to anywhere else, I'd like to house my book collection on my computer, which it looks like this allows, and gets metadata (yay!)..One question though...I'm sure one could use many different ebook readers to connect to this program, is there one that you prefer, or perhaps one that interfaces with it better than others? Thanks again.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does it sync/copy to the iBook app, or something else?

I'd say if iBooks uses one of the standard book formats it will using Open In or similar.

Alll 400 + of my books are mobi.....

Calibre is constantly being updated and improved.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I see. So what app are you using to receive the books on the iPad, and what app to read them, if it is different?

I looked for a version of Calibre in the App Store, and could find nothing.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see. So what app are you using to receive the books on the iPad, and what app to read them, if it is different? I looked for a version of Calibre in the App Store, and could find nothing.
The Kindle for iPad application. Let me explain a bit more, sorry. You could most likely work out a way to access your local server over the Internet but I didn't bother. I load books only from my home network using Safari. The Calibre content server displays a list of books with a "Get" button. Depending on whether or not you have it in multiple formats it then gives you the standard "Open In" choice.

Attachments

• image-3651922601.jpg
    image-3651922601.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. I think I see how it works.

Calibre sets up a local IP address and website on your computer. You then use Safari on the iPad to connect to that website (using the supplied IP address), browse the Calibre library, then download and use Safari''s Open In feature to copy the books to any compatible app.

Am I close enough?

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep.

It also lets me share books with guests that have iPads or Android based devices.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I, too, keep my books on Dropbox. They are stored there via Calibre - it's my main/only library (and storage point) for my Calibre program.

And yes, I can access the books through Dropbox, but that gets a bit cumbersome given that I have a lot of books.

So, I use a catalog creation program called "Calibre2OPDS." It's a script-based,program that creates a searchable catalog or index within Dropbox. It pretty easy to use and, once it's set up, I save the link so it can be accessed from any web browser. Here's the main page of the catalog of my books:

ape2y7ar.jpg

I can't recommend this program enough if you use Calibre. To me, it's easier than trying to search through all the book folders Calibre creates in the Dropbox-stored library. And, once I find a book I want to read, I click on the book link within the catalog and use the iDevice's "open in" function to start reading. I can, and do, have epub and mobi type ebooks, it doesn't matter as the iPad will offer whatever app can read the format.

Long story short - Calibre2OPDS is a great to view your e-book library so you can read your books. I can't recommend it enough.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's cool.

Almost make me want to use it, even though I prefer to keep most of my DRM free ebooks on the iPad. I can spare the space. So I use iTunes (and the new iBook app) on the computer for my DRM free books. That's limited to ePub, but almost every source of DRM free books supports ePub these days.

Most reactions