Strange problem, anyone have this happen

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Etsok123, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Etsok123

Etsok123 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was at the Hartford Convention Center this weekend and had two ipad 1's in my bag next to a big column. After about 2 hours I went to use one and the factory apps worked ok but my downloaded apps just flashed but did not open. After about another hour I tried the other ipad which was in the bag and it had reset back to the brand new setup stage. I put the one that partially worked back in the bag and one hour later it also was back to new setup state. Got home today and restored from my back-up everything works fine. Only thing I could think of was that the column had power lines for the lights which created a magnetic field which wiped out the memory. Anyone ever have something like this happen to them.
  2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Some people have reported something similar -- iPads being wiped out after sending them through X-ray machines at the airport. It seems to happen only rarely, though, because lots of people have gone through airport security with iPads and have had no probs. On a couple of threads I've read (can't remember where) some electronics expert types explained how it might happen in isolated cases.

I've been on many flights and not had such a prob, and I've repeatedly gone through security with two iPads in sleep mode. If I were worried about the prob, I would just send my iPads through security switched off, instead of in sleep mode.
  3. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,249 / 1
    That sounds like a plan I would do as well. Better off doing that and not risk the "what if..."