What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange problem, anyone have this happen

Etsok123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was at the Hartford Convention Center this weekend and had two ipad 1's in my bag next to a big column. After about 2 hours I went to use one and the factory apps worked ok but my downloaded apps just flashed but did not open. After about another hour I tried the other ipad which was in the bag and it had reset back to the brand new setup stage. I put the one that partially worked back in the bag and one hour later it also was back to new setup state. Got home today and restored from my back-up everything works fine. Only thing I could think of was that the column had power lines for the lights which created a magnetic field which wiped out the memory. Anyone ever have something like this happen to them.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some people have reported something similar -- iPads being wiped out after sending them through X-ray machines at the airport. It seems to happen only rarely, though, because lots of people have gone through airport security with iPads and have had no probs. On a couple of threads I've read (can't remember where) some electronics expert types explained how it might happen in isolated cases.

I've been on many flights and not had such a prob, and I've repeatedly gone through security with two iPads in sleep mode. If I were worried about the prob, I would just send my iPads through security switched off, instead of in sleep mode.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were worried about the prob, I would just send my iPads through security switched off, instead of in sleep mode.

That sounds like a plan I would do as well. Better off doing that and not risk the "what if..."

Most reactions

Latest posts