What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop sending me to mobile sites

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is an iPad, it has a awesome browser on it. Why is it forcing me to go to mobile site. I realize it is based on a phone's OS but for the love of all things tech how does one stop this behavior.

I have tried to use NBC.com and the mobile browser I am forced onto looks pixel shy by a margin of 50%.

Help

Carl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sites like that have an option at the bottom to change it to normal webpage viewing

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I have found a few sites like that, and I hate it too. I point to the full site, and no matter what it sends me to the mobile site..... Lame

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is an iPad, it has a awesome browser on it. Why is it forcing me to go to mobile site. I realize it is based on a phone's OS but for the love of all things tech how does one stop this behavior.

I have tried to use NBC.com and the mobile browser I am forced onto looks pixel shy by a margin of 50%.

Help

Your browser is identifying itself as Safari for iPad, and lots of sites treat that the same as for iPhone/iPod. Download another browser (I use Atomic) and this won't be an issue.

OP
L

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have found a few sites like that, and I hate it too. I point to the full site, and no matter what it sends me to the mobile site..... Lame

Misery loves company. I feel better because I kept retyping, clearing out my browser trying 3G then wifi resulting in zero joy.

OP
L

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Help

Your browser is identifying itself as Safari for iPad, and lots of sites treat that the same as for iPhone/iPod. Download another browser (I use Atomic) and this won't be an issue.

Just tried it and it is really a nice browser. Thanks a ton, you just solved a large number of my complaints. I just wish I could make it my default.

Robertt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad isn't forcing you anywhere. Once you arrive at a site, the website checks to see if you are a mobile user. If you are, the webpage redirects you to a mobile version of the site.

largefarva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Submit feedback to the website asking them to provide a link somewhere on the mobile page that will redirect users to the full versions of their websites....for those of us who prefer to use safari.

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really couldn't believe that they didn't offer a link to the full site, so I checked it myself...it's true. So I sent a comment through their feedback link asking them to add a link, or if they could tell me why they didn't/couldn't off a link.

madmacfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Help

I use UAfaker , download from Cydia. Works great, no more mobile sites.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
And I see this as a growing pain. The iPad is a unique device, it will take a while for some sites to deal with it.

I have the Atomic browser, but will not use it until it supports the bookmark toolbar... I come from firefox on windows and am completely bound to my bookmarks being on a toolbar.... Like Safari on the iPad...... Atomic is okay, but no way will I use it until it gets this feature. It is my understanding the next update will fix it,,,,, we shall see...

jbkeyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clicking "desktop version" is NOT a fix. If I do a web search, 9 out of 10 times the search results are desktop urls that dont have a mobile equivalent. So when I get redirected it is to the home page not the page i clicked on. Clicking on "desktop version" just sends me to a desktop version of the home page. So I've wasted my time chasing a page I can never get to. Putting the responsibility on every site on the web doesn't make sense when phone os developers could simply implement a Desktop version option on the browser end.

Most reactions

Latest posts