What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Splashtop remote only 59p for today only!

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a ridiculous price! Everybody snap it up before the developer has realized he's gone mad! Lol :)

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I have it too. It's a great party piece, but other than for a dedicated techie, I can't find any practical use for it. It messes you desk top ressy/icon arrangement up and needs you pc to be switched on at all times. ( I suppose you can circumnavigate this, but as I say, the majority of us aren't techies)

kustard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splashtop is an app that allows you to remotely access your PC/laptop right?

I wanted something like this and heard that log me in was pretty good but since this is so cheap (not sure what the usual price is, anyone know?) I decided to download it. Can anyone tell me more about this app and if it is safe to use?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It works just fine - there is no problem. On a local network installation and setup are not a problem. You need to install a free app on your PC too to 'talk' to the app on your iPad and, of course, your PC needs to have WiFi. I didn't have any of the display problems mentioned by a previous poster on my Sony Vaio - it works perfectly and transfers the sound from the PC too to the iPad.

If you want to access your PC from your iPad from outside your local WiFi network - say over 3G - then it does get a little more technical and you need to know some stuff about port forwarding so, unless you're familiar with those concepts, it's best to think of it as a way to access your PC from your iPad on your local network. Yes, as one of the previous posters pointed out, your PC needs to be switched on for it to work and there's no facility in the software to 'wake your PC up'. But if you keep your PC in one room of the house and you take your iPad to bed with you and you want to access a Flash website, then Splashtop is your friend. And, as I've suggested, setup for a local network is a complete non-issue.

Tim

kustard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems to me that there are a lot of features that could be improved such as accessing your PC outside of your local network and not having to have your PC switched on but for what it does it is worth 59p.

Thanks for the heads up on this guys! :)

Now I just need my replacement iPad to be with me! :(

Preacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, as one of the previous posters pointed out, your PC needs to be switched on for it to work and there's no facility in the software to 'wake your PC up'. But if you keep your PC in one room of the house and you take your iPad to bed with you and you want to access a Flash website, then Splashtop is your friend. And, as I've suggested, setup for a local network is a complete non-issue.

Tim

I just downloaded and installed this and I saw an option (on the iPad and iPhone screen) for waking the PC remotely. It is in the advanced options for the specific connection.

To the OP: Thanks for the tip on this, it is a cool little bit of software! A LOT better than similar apps I have tried, and it gives me a neat way to control the music playing on my PC from the kitchen, for example, or from the garage even!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, as one of the previous posters pointed out, your PC needs to be switched on for it to work and there's no facility in the software to 'wake your PC up'. But if you keep your PC in one room of the house and you take your iPad to bed with you and you want to access a Flash website, then Splashtop is your friend. And, as I've suggested, setup for a local network is a complete non-issue.

Tim

I just downloaded and installed this and I saw an option (on the iPad and iPhone screen) for waking the PC remotely. It is in the advanced options for the specific connection.

To the OP: Thanks for the tip on this, it is a cool little bit of software! A LOT better than similar apps I have tried, and it gives me a neat way to control the music playing on my PC from the kitchen, for example, or from the garage even!

Many thanks for the tip on waking the PC remotely!! Had never seen this...doh...:(

Tim

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How it is different from Team Viewer HD (which is free)?

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is one way to actually watch flash videos that really works.

I installed it for that reason, and now a couple sites that where completely unusable on my ipad2 are back in business again.

All I have to do is remote in and fire up IE and go to any site I want using IE, all the videos play perfectly.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you pc to be switched on at all times. ( I suppose you can circumnavigate this, but as I say, the majority of us aren't techies)

Of course, things aren't going to run from a computer that is turned off.......... ;-)

Most reactions