What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound problems!!

barbieb12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a first generation IPad which I have had for 2 years at the end of this month. In the last few days I have been using the headphones frequently. Today I discovered that my iPad is stuck in the headphone mode. I have tried rebooting which did not resolve the problem. Sound is still available with the headphones but not without.
Can you please help resolve this problem?
Thanks bunches,
Barbie

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
barbieb12 said:
Have a first generation IPad which I have had for 2 years at the end of this month. In the last few days I have been using the headphones frequently. Today I discovered that my iPad is stuck in the headphone mode. I have tried rebooting which did not resolve the problem. Sound is still available with the headphones but not without.
Can you please help resolve this problem?
Thanks bunches,
Barbie

Are you sure you haven't accidentally turned on the mute switch?

OP
B

barbieb12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Are you sure you haven't accidentally turned on the mute switch?

I checked that and the mute switch is on, but...it will not switch to un mute !!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
barbieb12 said:
I checked that and the mute switch is on, but...it will not switch to un mute !!

Make sure that the switch above the volume buttons on the side of the case is in the up position, then go to Settings>General>Mute. Make sure the check mark is on mute. Do this by tapping on mute. Once you do this, you should be able to hear sound from your speakers.
P.S.; make sure the volume isn't set to the low end of the range.

OP
B

barbieb12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Make sure that the switch above the volume buttons on the side of the case is in the up position, then go to Settings>General>Mute. Make sure the check mark is on mute. Do this by tapping on mute. Once you do this, you should be able to hear sound from your speakers.
P.S.; make sure the volume isn't set to the low end of the range.

Arrrrrrg! Did that and nothing...when I try to make the sound increase or decrease the screen shows that headphones are on, but I have them unplugged. I I plug them in I of course can hear the sound. I wonder if where the headphones plug in is either dirty or just malfunctioning? I suppose I should be thankful I have sound at all, but I really want the sound to work in either mode.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
barbieb12 said:
Arrrrrrg! Did that and nothing...when I try to make the sound increase or decrease the screen shows that headphones are on, but I have them unplugged. I I plug them in I of course can hear the sound. I wonder if where the headphones plug in is either dirty or just malfunctioning? I suppose I should be thankful I have sound at all, but I really want the sound to work in either mode.

The possibility of a fault in the headphone jack does exist. It would likely be in the switch that turns on the speakers when the headphones are removed. You could make a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store to be sure. If the iPad does require repair, it may be a better choice to upgrade to a newer iPad, than to repair your iPad 1.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
barbieb12 said:

It certainly sounds like there is a problem within the headphone socket. Maybe try plugging in and unplugging the headphones several times to see if you can free up the switch.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apologies, scifan. I should have realized you'd get back to this one. Itchy Send finger?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Apologies, scifan. I should have realized you'd get back to this one. Itchy Send finger?

You did suggest a repeated plug in and removal of the headphone jack, which I didn't mention.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
You did suggest a repeated plug in and removal of the headphone jack, which I didn't mention.

Nothing like a bit of teamwork. I was thinking of suggesting the vacuum cleaner trick. It's been known to work for dust and débris in the microphone. It might work here too.

OP
B

barbieb12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Nothing like a bit of teamwork. I was thinking of suggesting the vacuum cleaner trick. It's been known to work for dust and débris in the microphone. It might work here too.

Well, I have tried plugging and unplugging the headsets multiple times as well as the vacuum sweeper trick...nothing worked. Any more suggestions? Please, please I hope this can be resolved...love this iPad !!!
Barbie

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
barbieb12 said:
Well, I have tried plugging and unplugging the headsets multiple times as well as the vacuum sweeper trick...nothing worked. Any more suggestions? Please, please I hope this can be resolved...love this iPad !!!
Barbie

There's always a Genius appointment at an apple store. Although the age of the iPad may make repair uneconomical.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
There's always a Genius appointment at an apple store. Although the age of the iPad may make repair uneconomical.

I agree with both of the above. When you push the headphone jack into the hole it disconnects the speaker contact to cut out the speaker. If there is something between or on these contacts it will seem that the headphones are still attached. Try a little rubbing alcohol on the headphone jack and repeat the above suggestion. Try a few times but don't get it too wet.

Sent using my iPad 2 - 16Gb - Wi-Fi

OP
B

barbieb12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to sincerely thank all of the wonderful iPad experts who assisted me with my sound problem. Last night I finally solved the problem! I had been using the headphones that came with my iPhone. I took another pair of headphones from a cd player and plugged these in and miracle of miracles...the symbol on the screen unlocked and the speakers now work! I am assuming that somehow that internal headphone jack got stuck in the on position and by inserting other headphone jacks it released the switch. I am not tech suave but in my mind that is how to explain this.
Anyway, I wanted to let you know the problem has been resolved and I am so thankful for all your assistance. I know this iPad is older but it has always always been so reliable and just THE BEST. It is the first Apple product I ever owned and I personally will never have anything but Apple products. I am 63 yrs old and have had many pc's as well as in my work environment worked on many pc's, but Apple is far superior!
I have had virtually no problems and when I do, this forum is a life saver!
Again, many thanks and keep up the good work!
Barbie Burchfield
Fairfield, Ohio

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are very welcome Barbie! Anything else you need to know just log in here, someone will come up with a solution. Glad it all worked out for you in the end.

Sent using my iPad 2 - 16Gb - Wi-Fi

Most reactions

Latest posts