What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 Bluetooth Headphone Problems

The Spackman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a pair of Sennheiser MM400 Bluetooth headphones. They work with my iPhone 4 a treat over Bluetooth but when I use them with my iPad 2 the sound cuts out every few minutes. I simply have to press the main action button on the side of the headphones and the sound comes on again but it's a touch irritating.

This sound cutting out is not consistent either. So far I have observed the following.

On iPod - if screen off, cuts out every few mins as described. If on is OK.
On some games (plants vs zombie's for example) - cuts out even if screen on.
On BBC iplayer the program will sometimes randomly stop. Pressing action button on phones starts it again.

It seems like a software problem of some sort so I am hoping it is fixed in an update sometime. Is there a known issue with ipad2 and Bluetooth headphones?

Overall my iPad 2 rocks apart from this niggling issue.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - before we get down to more complex solutions, let's try the simple ones first...

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

If these don't help - get back to us and we'll move on to some other possibilities...

Tim
Scotland

OP
T

The Spackman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim - gave both your suggestions a try then tested extensively yesterday. While I'd say the problem has lessened it's not eliminated. It was not cutting out nearly as often but appeared more random with sound sometimes flowing uninterrupted for 20 minutes then other times cutting out a few times a song.

I'll keep playing around and see if I can identify any more patterns that help identify the cause.

Cheers.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let us know how you get on and, if the problem persists, we'll see if we can come up with some further suggestions.

I can't recall - have you tried unpairing the headphones and then pairing them again?

Tim

OP
T

The Spackman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah - tried unpairing but no difference.

Still beffuzled tbh. Got almost an hr with no pauses yesterday afternoon and no rhyme nor reason for it?

I'll be in touch :)

mtltdi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine does this as well...different headphones though

I have the same cutting out sound on my Nokia BH-905 bluetooth headphones.

Never had this happen on the original ipad. I hope this gets fixed soon.

OP
T

The Spackman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you have the same prob mtltdi but glad I have someone to share in the sorrow :)

Since re-pairing and rebooting it's been noticeably better and much more bearable so I suggest doing that till a fix is found. Just a bug I am guessing?

DocNemo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having the same issue myself with Motorola S9 Bluetooth headphones - audio playback skips intermittently using the IPod app on IPad 2 - definitely annoying. Using standard headphone results in no audio skipping. Reboot / Re-Pair to no avail.

jackmorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same cutting out sound on my Nokia BH-905 bluetooth headphones.

Never had this happen on the original ipad. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Have you fixed the issue, if yes add me as a friend so i can fix my nokia headphone, same problem. :confused:

rdclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a data point, I'm using the Motorola S305 BT headset with my iPad 2 and it works flawlessly (in terms of keeping a solid, continuous connection). They're not loud enough, and there's a little more hiss than I'd like, but the signal is solid.

So it's not a universal problem.

mtltdi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if 4.3.3 fixed it, I only use them when on the plane...will check in later.

OP
T

The Spackman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a bump that this is still a problem. iPhone is flawless with my Bluetooth headphones and given up on using with iPad for the moment if I can avoid it.

MigglePiggle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just wanted to post to say that I've been having the same problems with the iPad 2 ever since I got it. My bluetooth headphones are Sennheiser MM450 and they work fine with my Sony Ericson phone.

When listening to a podcast, the file will stop playing every now and then and I have to press play on the side of the headphones to start it going again. Very strange.

TYR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh great! I've been using Motorola S305's on my iPad 2 without any problems. Because I liked the whole bluetooth headphone idea so much I decided to invest in a really good pair of BH-905i's ... Received them today, and yeah guess how I found this thread :(

BetoDiazPorta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Community:

I have been having problems with my iPad2 Bluetooth. I am currently using the JayBird Freedoms Bluetooth headset (see attachment) and the iPad2 hasn't been able to even 'discover' them. I use these everyday with my iPhone 4 (even with the new FW 4.3.4 on both devices).

Is anybody having the same problems?

Attachments

• image-244714698.png
    image-244714698.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 327

Most reactions

Latest posts