What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad No audio from speakers (dock connected problem)

cosmicman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One months ago, my IPad first generation has began to stay always "dock connected" also if physically it's not, and with no sound from the speakers.
I cannot turn up the volume, because it doesn't work.
I have already done everything, like soft reset, hard reset, reboot the system from iTunes, but the audio still doesn't work.
The headphones works.
It's not the mute button, but seems to be something about the soft.

The speakers works only with an app called MORFO. :confused:

Somebody could please help me solve this problem?

Thank You

Cosmicman

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - remember that the Mute function can also be activated by the soft Mute button in the multi-task bar. Have you checked that?

Tim

OP
C

cosmicman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI Tim, sure I did.
Actually I tried to do almost everything. I called Apple as well, but they didn't help me. Unfortunately my IPad is out of warranty, and if I send it to Apple they are going to charge me 300 Euro. I would like to avoid that.
I thought, ther was a way to fix it by downgrade the firmware or something like this, but I discovered that it's not so easy.

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is, indeed, a strange problem because - since you can get audio from the speakers from one app - it's clearly not a hardware failure.

OK - let's recap

You've done a complete power-off, power up.
You've closed all the apps in the multi-task bar - you have to do them one-by-one.
You've rebooted (turn iPad off, then press and hold the Power and Home buttons for an extended period until the white Apple logo appears)
You've checked the Mute switch assignment in the 'Settings' menu and ensured that Mute is not activated.
You've remembered that the volume setting for speaker and headphone are independent - so the headphone can be on full volume when plugged in but, when you pull the headphones out, the iPad will remember the last speaker volume setting, which could be zero.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Take a pen light and a magnifying glass and look closely at the dock connector for pin damage. There are audio pinouts there, and if they are shorted the iPad will be convinced that you've got a dock speakers connected.

The headphone jack probably overrides this, but nothing else is likely to.

Since it is an iPad 1, this should not be too hard to repair. Check out ifixit.com if you want to try yourself, or if not technically inclined look around for a reliable third party repair shop.

OP
C

cosmicman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what I think as well.
I've done all the steps You mentioned several times.
As You wrote, I thought the problem was not about the hardware but about the software. Maybe, one of the system update I have done is not working with my Ipad.
But when You try to downgrade the firmware from the 4.3.5 which I have, to 4.3.1 for example, I-tunes don't permit You the downgrade and let You restore the 4.3.5 release. Probably because somebody Jailbroken his own Ipad with previous release of OS.
Anyway, for this reason I'm not able to install a previous release of the OS that probably could solve my problem.

Thanks for trying to help me

OP
C

cosmicman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Twerppoet, tomorrow I'll check it out the dock connector and eventually how to fix it on the site You suggested.
I'll let You know.

Thanks again

OP
C

cosmicman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have checked the dock connector, and there is no pinout shorted or damaged.
Maybe the problem is there but it is not so visible for me.
Right now I'm looking for a repair shop close to my area.

Anyway, thanks for your help

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Sorry I don't know of a better fix, and I hope that this will actually fix the problem. I'm not confident that it is a hardware problem, but there isn't much more you can do in the way of software repair than a restore.

You did try that, right?

It's a pain to get everything back the way you want, but it does not cost anything.

OP
C

cosmicman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:) yep, I've already tried several times but the problem persist.
The only way is using the headphones.
Hope to find a solution....

Most reactions

Latest posts