What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something strange

tucsonstan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm retired Air Force. Went on base today and found out the Base Exchange is selling iPads. Soooo, picked up a 64gb, wifi and 3g. Since I have service with Verizon I took it over and set it up on their system. As we were getting everything set up I noticed when the pad was powered up and connected to get the mifi card to work, up in the left corner the letters AT&T 3g came up???? I pointed this out to the Verizon cust rep and he didn't know why it was showing. Is this something AT&T and Apple have in some contract that show on all 3g models? Thanks for any help. :)

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HELLO Tucsonstan, welcome to the Forum

I think you need to go into settings and turn off the cellular data. This will remove the 3G status on the upper left.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T is the default carrier for iPad's with 3G. The signal is showing up because it sees the AT&T 3G signal. As you are not signed up with AT&T, you need to go into SETTINGS > CELLULAR DATA and turn Cellular Data = OFF. I think you need to find another Verizon rep, as that one doesn't seem to know what he's doing. You do know that you can sign up with AT&T without a contract for $25 a month for 2GB and can stop it at any time, don't you. The only reason to use Verizon is if you don't have good AT&T coverage in your area. FYI, the batteries in those MidFi units won't last that long.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T is the default carrier for iPad's with 3G. The signal is showing up because it sees the AT&T 3G signal. As you are not signed up with AT&T, you need to go into SETTINGS > CELLULAR DATA and turn Cellular Data = OFF. I think you need to find another Verizon rep, as that one doesn't seem to know what he's doing. You do know that you can sign up with AT&T without a contract for $25 a month for 2GB and can stop it at any time, don't you. The only reason to use Verizon is if you don't have good AT&T coverage in your area. FYI, the batteries in those MidFi units won't last that long.

I was just going to point that out......

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, since you have the 3g model that means you have cell data built in and a simcard that you can activate. Take the mifi back and try att first. If its not enough for you or your not happy with that then go set up with verizon. The built in is a better option though, no second item to carry and no worry about battery and/or charging two items. Only issue is if you plan on using a lot of data that isn't wifi...

remember all ipads have wifi and you can use any wifi that is available you're not limited to either/or situation.

OP
T

tucsonstan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks folks for all of the great info. I think I will go over to ATT and sign up for their service since I also have an account with them. As pointed out, the little extra unit you have to carry would be a pain in the rump after a while plus did not know of the battery issue.

Everyone have a great New Years Eve and prosperous year!! :) :)

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Thanks folks for all of the great info. I think I will go over to ATT and sign up for their service since I also have an account with them. As pointed out, the little extra unit you have to carry would be a pain in the rump after a while plus did not know of the battery issue.

Everyone have a great New Years Eve and prosperous year!! :) :)

You do not need to go to AT&T to sign up. You should do this from the iPad itself from Settings -> Cellular Data -> Sign up (or whatever it says, mine is active so it only says View Account.)

OP
T

tucsonstan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to the ATT store just in case and was on their 3g in no time. Not bad, this thing is great! :)

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to the ATT store just in case and was on their 3g in no time. Not bad, this thing is great! :)

That's what I like in people like you. You ask a question, and come back at the end with the final answer. Benefiting and ensuring every one.

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's one more item to consider for carriers. With AT&T you can drop or add 3G monthly with no additional fees. Verizon adds all kinds of extra fees to disconnect and reconnect service. For example, if you don't already have a Verizon account there's a $35 activation fee. If you drop the service for more than 60 days and then want to re-activate it, they hit you with another $35 activation fee.

If you really need a MiFi (as you want to connect more devices than just the iPad) then I would recommend looking at the Virgin Mobile plans. No contract, you don't have all the Verizon type fees, and the rates are relatively reasonable (no data plan is cheap). The unlimited (really unlimited, not 5gb unlimited) is $40 a month. MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot | Virgin Mobile $10 will get you 100mb for 10 days.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
as a mifi user... stay away. Unless it fits your lifestyle.

Glad you actually tried AT&T first. Now that you know you have good coverage, you won't have the headache of a stupid internet device you have to remember/carry around.

Most reactions

Latest posts