What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking About taking the Plunge, Need Advice

DrGrafix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm probably the only one in my family that _doesn't_ have an iPad. My wife and I both have iMac desktops, we both have iPhones, she has an iPad3, and I have a MBP. Our kids... both out of the house have iPads and so do my grandkids. So I'm thinking of picking up a gently-used iPad and I'm more interested in wifi than a phone. I'm a retired designer who still does a lot of graphics work for friends, and I like to carry around design work. As much as I love my MBP, I find that when allowed to use someone's iPad, it is much more convenient as a tool for showing graphics work.

So I'm currently looking for at least a 32GB or possibly a 64GB unit, preferably black but I can live with white if the right deal pops up. I found someone selling a 64GB black which he says is a LTE and I'm assuming that this is a Verizon-specific device? Since my current family plan carrier is AT&T and I have no interest in changing, what I wanted to know was that can Verizon disable the iPad if you don't use it as a phone, and can I putt my AT&T email parameters in it and use it strictly with wifi? So I just want to know if I should avoid an iPad that is connected in any way to Verizon?

I'm also not adverse to buying a jailbroken iPad as long as I have 100% functionality with wifi, camera, and safari.

TIA!

Mike

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the retina display was introduced in the iPad3 and iPad4? Its only in the iPad air?
The iPad 3, 4, and iPad Air all have retina displays. The iPad 3 is only available on the second hand market and the recently reintroduced iPad 4 is only available new in the 16GB storage capacity, thus explaining the iPad Air recommendation. The iPad Air is available in 16, 32, 64, and 128GB storage capacities.

dudethatserin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently own the Air and have since it came out in early November. Bought it as a work anniversary present. :)
I love it. I have the 64GB version as I wanted it immediately and didn't want to wait for it to come in through the mail and that was the biggest I could find in my area. It is perfect. I only use about half of the storage and no matter what app I run it can handle EVERYTHING. I run some pretty graphic intensive apps, too.

OP
D

DrGrafix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes... I'd prefer the retina display after seeing/using my wife's. She just won't share LOL. So... I'm seeing used 64GB iPad3's wifi only for around $400 regionally here on craigslist, 32GB versions for as low as $300. Found one with another 2 months of Applecare but its like $375 for a 32GB iPad3 model. I was curious about the LTE designation and if I buy one that was originally phone enabled, do I suffer if I don't use the phone aspect?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't make phone calls with an iPad, at least not the way you do it on an iPhone. The SIM card for an iPad is for data only.
You can use the iPad cellular without SIM card as well. It'll work with Wi-Fi only then.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... I'd prefer the retina display after seeing/using my wife's. She just won't share LOL. So... I'm seeing used 64GB iPad3's wifi only for around $400 regionally here on craigslist, 32GB versions for as low as $300. Found one with another 2 months of Applecare but its like $375 for a 32GB iPad3 model. I was curious about the LTE designation and if I buy one that was originally phone enabled, do I suffer if I don't use the phone aspect?
no, you won't suffer at all. You will get GPS capability, which doesn't need a cellular data plan to use. One very important thing to watch out for when buying a used iPad on iOS 7 is Activation lock, which will prevent you from using the iPad unless you can input the original owner's Apple ID and password. You should check that the iPad has been properly restored to factory condition before paying.

Our sister forum, iPhone Forums, has an excellent tutorial on purchasing second hand devices in light of the iOS 7 Activation Lock. http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-help-15/before-buying-new-second-hand-device-online-61994/

Last edited:
OP
D

DrGrafix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so I am looking at a wifi only iPad, its a 64GB retina 4th gen. The owner said he has no problem meeting me in person at a public place with wifi and understands he needs to do a full factory restore and upgrade to the latest IOS. Said I can even enter my email/Apple ID while he's there and I can make sure its not bricked.

Said he worked at the local Apple store for a while and he understands my concerns. Regardless... what should I be looking for to prove out that its not going to brick itself when I eventually get home and connect it to my iMac, authorize that computer, and try to import some music from my iTunes?

That "Activation Lock" stuff its intended for iPads/iPhones with cellular capability only? If it apples to wifi iPads as well, is there a screen I need to see or check?

Mike

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so I am looking at a wifi only iPad, its a 64GB retina 4th gen. The owner said he has no problem meeting me in person at a public place with wifi and understands he needs to do a full factory restore and upgrade to the latest IOS. Said I can even enter my email/Apple ID while he's there and I can make sure its not bricked.

Said he worked at the local Apple store for a while and he understands my concerns. Regardless... what should I be looking for to prove out that its not going to brick itself when I eventually get home and connect it to my iMac, authorize that computer, and try to import some music from my iTunes?

Mike
If he hands you the factory restored iPad and when you try to activate it, it does not ask you for the Apple ID and password of the original owner, it means that the iPad was properly restored to factory condition.

As further proof, activate find my iPad and attempt to erase the iPhone. It will tell you to turn off find my iPad. When you do that, if it asks for your Apple ID and password, it is further proof that the factory restore was done properly by the seller.

When you're satisfied, thank him and give him the payment.

Last edited:
OP
D

DrGrafix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scifan...My comments/questions are in bold...

If he hands you the factory restored iPad and when you try to activate it, it does not ask you for the Apple ID and password of the original owner, it means that the iPad was properly restored to factory condition. When you say "try to activate it" you mean entering my email account information or is there a popup that requests you to "Activate" the iPad? Its been so long since I set up my iPhone LOL... and that was a phone.

As further proof, activate find my iPad and attempt to erase the iPhone. It will tell you to turn off find my iPad. When you do that, if it asks for your Apple ID and password, it is further proof that the factory restore was done properly by the seller. Didn't realize non-cellular iPads had the Find My iPad feature. I'm staying away from the cellular/data models, all I want is a wifi unit bc of price and confusion about the IME stuff. Only go that direction if it was legit and a great price.

When you're satisfied, thank him and give him the payment.

Thanks...

Mike

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mike,
Just for knowledge, LTE is available in AT&T and Verizon. My 3rd gen iPad is the AT&T version and no, you never have to activate the cellular data on the carrier, if you decided to use it you just "turn it on" in settings and pay by the month until you decide to stop again. This makes it great for traveling, you can activate and pay this month, turn off for the next (or as long as you want) then activate again for the next trip.

I haven't used my cellular as I've been able to make it on Wi-Fi so far traveling, but hedged when purchasing just in case I needed it. Either way, looks like you are getting a Wi-Fi only and don't need to bother with the cellular.

OP
D

DrGrafix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mike,
Just for knowledge, LTE is available in AT&T and Verizon. My 3rd gen iPad is the AT&T version and no, you never have to activate the cellular data on the carrier, if you decided to use it you just "turn it on" in settings and pay by the month until you decide to stop again. This makes it great for traveling, you can activate and pay this month, turn off for the next (or as long as you want) then activate again for the next trip.

I haven't used my cellular as I've been able to make it on Wi-Fi so far traveling, but hedged when purchasing just in case I needed it. Either way, looks like you are getting a Wi-Fi only and don't need to bother with the cellular.

I'm probably going to meet the seller in a Starbucks tomorrow. I'm instructing him to do a full factory reset beforehand. I'm compiling a laundry list of things to check ranging from the mundane and obvious such as scratches, cracks, water spots, red code in the power connector, speaker, headphones, screen orientation, and then of course after powering on... making sure there's no apps, no pictures, no email, no iCloud, no passcode, and so on. So in theory it should be set to OEM Factory settings and looking for a new user. Prior to entering any personal data like my AppleID/Password and/or and email account... is it possible to surf the web? Just to make sure it works LOL.

BTW, the unit is a Gen4 64GB Retina iPad, WiFi only model. Price is down to $400 with a sort of gel/rubber case. I'll probably get an Otter down the road. My wife's iPad is already dinged in the corner (not cracked, as her corners are exposed in her pleather red case LOL.

Mike

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to meet the seller in a Starbucks tomorrow. I'm instructing him to do a full factory reset beforehand. I'm compiling a laundry list of things to check ranging from the mundane and obvious such as scratches, cracks, water spots, red code in the power connector, speaker, headphones, screen orientation, and then of course after powering on... making sure there's no apps, no pictures, no email, no iCloud, no passcode, and so on. So in theory it should be set to OEM Factory settings and looking for a new user. Prior to entering any personal data like my AppleID/Password and/or and email account... is it possible to surf the web? Just to make sure it works LOL. BTW, the unit is a Gen4 64GB Retina iPad, WiFi only model. Price is down to $400 with a sort of gel/rubber case. I'll probably get an Otter down the road. My wife's iPad is already dinged in the corner (not cracked, as her corners are exposed in her pleather red case LOL. Mike
In order to use the iPad, you'll have to set it up with your Apple ID and password. This only takes a few minutes and can be done while the seller is still there.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In order to use the iPad, you'll have to set it up with your Apple ID and password. This only takes a few minutes and can be done while the seller is still there.

X2 on this. It's nice to see a seller and buyer of used Apple devices able to complete a transaction in this manner, too many stories of people buying paperweights

Most reactions

Latest posts