1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPad shows AT&T what is wrong with 3G

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Seadog, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    A VIP with AT&T said that the iPad showed them that the public were more interested in lower price monthly rates without long commitments than getting free hardware. The old holdover system of bribing people with free, or cheaper phone by making them take out a 2 year contract is not appealing to users any more. Netbooks/laptops with 3G cards were not selling under that scenario, but the iPad 3G is a big seller. Note that Verizon abandoned the contract program with the mifi iPad. They charge less for the 3G service and make the puck the same price as going to 3G in the AT&T 3G capable models.
  2. iceman

iceman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't know, none of the carriers seem to moving this way with their smart phones. I wish they would though. I hate being on the hook with a cell phone deal.
  3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    T-Mobile US will give you a discount if you don't take a subsidized phone - perhaps other carriers will move to this if T-Mobile finds it popular.
  4. o2sys

o2sys iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I actually prefer a contract and receiving a nice d/c on a new phone...maybe because I'm older now and don't think of switching to new phones every other month...