What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Someone is remotely hacking on my iPad. Please help.

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a music app running and the volume goes down suddenly. Like the volume limiter feature.

In fact my ipod player on my iPad plays with very low volume.

I turn off Wifi on the ipad and I still get this.

Sometimes I get a tone sound like pong, as if someone is letting me know they got on my iPad.

I didn't even realize they can do this already. I'm thinking ipad 2 is pretty new.

My guess is there is a wireless device on the chipset.

Chipset is the device like the router that switches data between memory, video, touch screen, docking port, wifi, etc...

I assume Apple iPad has a chipset just like a PC.

I think I read somewhere that CISCO builds products for the government to help spy on networks.
I suspect something like it. At least until I can figure out what's going on.

I'm running ios 4.3 only because I'm afraid of losing support for apps that I bought.

Please help.

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No one has hacked your iPad.

There are well over 70,000,000 iPads in the world today, and if they could be hacked like this, we would already know about it.

The only option for someone to log into your iPad and do anything clandestine comes if you jail break and don't change the password, allowing someone to ssh into your iPad.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So turning off my wifi does nothing to limit someone from ssh into my ipad.
By the way ssh, what's that?

I never jail breaked the ipad. But I know for certain it's not right what I'm seeing.

Sometimes when I play a piano app, someone inserts notes.
It sounds like I'm accidentally touching the touchscreen twice.
I saw this happen when I turned off the wifi.

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No one can control your iPad while you are using it. It's not possible with the iPad architecture.

Sounds like the app is buggy.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went and saw a youtube video or 2:

And I binged ssh is a secure shell to remotely access ipad file system.

I never jailed breaked. If for what ever reason some had done that to the ipad, how can I go back and undo it.

The ipod is built in ipad feature.
And I've had very unusual things happen in a number of other apps.

The other things happening include sudden loss of wifi signal while I was browsing in the same location I normally have successful connection.

When I type something the spell checker that suggests the correct spelling works backwards.
Basically I have to cancel the recommended change in order for my spelling to stay.

Like I said very strange things.

Last edited by a moderator:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Restore to factory defaults using the Reset function in Settings, and reinstall your apps if you are really convinced someone has physically taken your iPad away from you and messed with it.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I lack understanding of the ipad architecture. But I understand basic computer hardware architecture.
By the way bing produce nothing for ipad architecture.

There is got to be an explanation I suppose.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I suspect that I would have to reinstall nearly 50 of the apps that is currently on the ipad if choose to take the reset pill.
That is hard to take.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't get myself to reset and lose not 50 but more like over 100 apps.
I'm gonna first try to find out if my iPad got jailbreaked.

Is there a way to know how this can be verified?
And is there a way to preserve the apps when you reset?
What version ios does the iPad go to when you reset?
Thank you.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Shoot, I just read on jailbreak and it just sounds like a bunch of copyright infringement activities.
I would post the link but it would be a waste to bother.
If I were to take the ipad to an Apple store what would they do for me? MyiPadScreen2.jpg

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Read the sticky threads at the top of the Hacking forum here. This forum does not support piracy, so you'll get the legit legal take there.

The chances that your iPad has been hacked are remote, so remote that you should consider all other explanations first. And whatever is going on, no-one can remote control your iPad or computer if you've turned off the internet. The special hidden chip you probably remember reading about was to bypass encryption, not add a super secret wi-fi connection. As far as I know, that got shot down in Congress.

However, the symptoms you are describing while not typical are not unheard of. They are often caused by hidden problems in Settings. You should try things in this order:

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.
and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Found under Settings > General > Reset. This will not erase your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to re-tweak many of your other settings to get thing where you want them again.

Restore or Go to Apple: If you go to Apple, there is a good chance the first thing they will do (after confirming the problem) is backup and restore the iPad. If you do restore from a backup, and it does not fix things, you'll have to do a clean restore. Problems like this often come back with the restored data.

Before you restore, or go to Apple, make sure all the documents, pictures, and other important files on your iPad are saved elsewhre, either in the cloud or on a computer.

Good luck.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you. That was a lot more informative than what I searched for so far.

I think I'll check with Apple store before messing with the ipad too much.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't restart nor update iOS.

I don't have an update option in settings with iOS 4.3.1, I suppose.

But I hold the power button for a long time and nothing happens.

And what is the home button?

Most reactions

Latest posts